Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shopping for a new Target Shotgun I stumbled across Gun Trader a UK gun site. Perazzi's, new and used, Beretta's and Krieghoff's were all considerably less money (US) than over here. The problem I ran into was by the time you pay an Importer and freight fees it eats up all the savings.
Link to gun Trader: Item Search Results

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Did you remember to add the nasty VAT to the final price?
Why? I don't think VAT applies to used items, and in any case, it doesn't apply to any sales overseas. I never pay VAT for anything I buy from the UK or the rest of Europe...there have been a couple times where I've had to ask the seller to take it off, but it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The pound has been hovering around $1.25 for the last 6 months.

Import fees will definitely eat any savings. Plus, the time delay probably kills any idea of a great deal.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't know about that. With the pound being so weak these days, Teague chokes can be a pretty good deal (and they don't charge VAT for orders shipped to the U.S., though I did have to email to remind them to take it off). My Super Extended Perazzi MT-6 chokes were under $38 each...flat rate shipping was a little pricey at about $18, but if you order six chokes, that's still under $41 per choke, shipped, and I have absolutely no complaints about the quality...only ones I've used that have never loosened up, after screwing them in by hand. With MT-6 chokes being kind of rare, even with shipping, I think that beats the price for any brand of new MT-6 chokes here in the U.S.

For those that like fancy Pilla Panther X6 glasses, it looks like the three lens set here in the U.S. would set you back around $900, while ordering from over there it would only be about $365, including a 2.5% U.S. tariff (according to Harmonized Tariff Schedule Search )

As long as you're not buying guns, there are usually no (or pretty low) import costs or tariffs.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Their prices are the same, you must've missed a tax or an exchange rate. At present the dollar is high and the pound sterling is low, so you may hav found a deal, but not generally speaking

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
I have not purchased an shotguns directly from Europe. I cannot answer the shotgun question but I have a little small scale import experience. Some times the exchange rates work out pretty well

Until the UN committee C.I.T.I.E.S was allowed to make rosewood an "endangered species" effectively banning international commerce (among other things) , I was importing a few guitars from a firm in Germany. Because of swings in exchange rates, at times I could get some really good pricing. In fact, until the CITIES regulation went into effect on 02 JAN 2017, I could buy a USA built Gibson guitar and ship it back here from Germany and get it faster and including shipping at least 10% cheaper than I could get one right here in the USA.

Side comment: How does an bunch of non elected officials from a UN committee have the authority to demand regulation of all rosewood products in the whole world? This is especially troubling since there is only one country that has over harvested their Rosewood forests without planting new. Looking at the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife website, they are legally commissioned to regulate any products that have rosewood, but they do not have any idea of how they will do that, or what regulations they will have on buying and selling. Let me make a prediction, it will hinder business and cost more.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You're seeing something I'm not.

535 gbp less 20% vat is 446 GBP, or just over $543 USD, plus ship.
My mistake. Since I was logged in and have a U.S. address associated with my account, it must've showed the prices without VAT already, and I ended up taking 20% off of that. Still, cheaper than the $850-900 retail that some folks are asking for them.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
I was able to purchase a custom titanium rifle part from Australia quite a bit cheaper than from the US importer, even including shipping, due to the exchange rates.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure with the current exchange rates there are bargains to be had. I have the luxury of a relative in the UK that can receive items that are 'UK shipping only' and turn around and re-ship to me. In 24yrs of being in the States I have yet to get charged customs duty on anything. That includes racing bikes, jewelry, electronics etc. Just a side note ANYTHING over 100yrs old such as an antique firearm is subject to 0% duty regardless.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I have bought from England and there is no VAT for out of country purchases. Right now the exchange is $1.20 to 1 pound. The purchase I made three days ago would have been 975 in the US and I paid 600 including 2 day shipment. There are deals to be had.

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
I am in the UK roughly six time per year.

I think there are two aspects to your observation.

1) The VAT (don't know why, but in the UK they charge it on used firearms) and rate of exchange. Obviously buying from overseas you would be eligible to get the VAT back.

2) Demand for the specific weapon. In the UK they typically prefer a gun that we do not - not good or bad, just different. Said differently, a gun you see as a good deal on a great gun you would have trouble giving away in the UK. This is not absolute, but very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Just checked HSLDS is correct VAT on new and used guns. Not sure why I've been able to make buys on shooting accessories without any VAT tax.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts