Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says. Why are there so many barrels for sale on gun sites? What happened to the rest of the gun?

·
Vendor
7,096 Posts
i get calls daily for barrels , caller buys gun with 28" now wants 30 or 32" or caller now wants higher or lower POI so wants a steprib or flat sport and or will send off to get reribbed--
last spring i bot 30 30" 391 barrels from a beretta dealers widow and yes i part out whole guns - triggers , whole recvrs and this week i sold 2 bare rcvrs -- everyone calls me with projects and looking for help
if you shoot long enuf or go to gun shows , you just end up with " stuff" and at some point you sell for many reasons
and tomk2 is deadon right

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Like it says. Why are there so many barrels for sale on gun sites? What happened to the rest of the gun?
Probably someone backbored them.
Or ported them... ha
i get calls daily for barrels , caller buys gun with 28" now wants 30 or 32" or caller now wants higher or lower POI so wants a steprib or flat sport and or will send off to get reribbed--
last spring i bot 30 30" 391 barrels from a beretta dealers widow and yes i part out whole guns - triggers , whole recvrs and this week i sold 2 bare rcvrs -- everyone calls me with projects and looking for help
if you shoot long enuf or go to gun shows , you just end up with " stuff" and at some point you sell for many reasons
and tomk2 is deadon right

View attachment 1719795
When someone with hunting experience gets into the game they bring what they have known with them. If they buy to soon all the experts will weigh in on what they should have bought. If they wait and learn then those experts are filling their heads with, "you need ................!"

Then you have the longtime shooter that is struggling that those experts are filling with their expertise.

So you have barrels ported, back bored you may even see barrels that are bent. There is one heck of a supply of sights or aiming devices and fix your aiming or eyesight issue devices.

So as a shooter works through and learns what works and doesn't all the barrels that where created to, "get them shooting better!" end up on the market looking for someone else needing a shortcut to SUCCESS!

Al

Reactions: wahtsamoie

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
like the shooter with the adjustable comb & butt pad searching for Nirvana.

View attachment 1719815
I kind of think you missed one.

Like the shooter with the adjustable rib adjustable comb and but pad searching for Nirvana, MAYBE.

Years ago when I closer to practical pistol shooters. The saying was

He's trying to spend 500 dollars on his gun to get what the same result would be spending the money on ammunition.

Reactions: wahtsamoie

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
I kind of think you missed one.

Like the shooter with the adjustable rib adjustable comb and but pad searching for Nirvana, MAYBE.

Years ago when I closer to practical pistol shooters. The saying was

He's trying to spend 500 dollars on his gun to get what the same result would be spending the money on ammunition.
Yes I missed the rib LOL. Let me ask when was the last time you changed any of these on your gun? The pattern board is where you check these variables, set & you should be good to go if you do your part. So many shooters unsatisfied with their result start chasing things around. That said barrels can be a different ball game. High rib to low low to high or to adjustable as a personal preference. I have mostly shot a JE special SPIII, the O/U 34" has a flat rib & the U/S rib is adjustable. For the end of the 2019 season I began shooting a DB81 that has a fairly high rib on both O/U & TS barrels & can switch back & forth between guns & shoot both equally as well. I acquired the engraved SCO Perazzi not because I was shooting poorly but because I wanted another gun that in my eyes had a little more cool factor ( go figure). Guilty as charged.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Yes I missed the rib LOL. Let me ask when was the last time you changed any of these on your gun? The pattern board is where you check these variables, set & you should be good to go if you do your part. So many shooters unsatisfied with their result start chasing things around. That said barrels can be a different ball game. High rib to low low to high or to adjustable as a personal preference. I have mostly shot a JE special SPIII, the O/U 34" has a flat rib & the U/S rib is adjustable. For the end of the 2019 season I began shooting a DB81 that has a fairly high rib on both O/U & TS barrels & can switch back & forth between guns & shoot both equally as well. I acquired the engraved SCO Perazzi not because I was shooting poorly but because I wanted another gun that in my eyes had a little more cool factor ( go figure). Guilty as charged.
I shoot a fixed rib shotgun, to shoot one comfortably I have to add about an inch to the length of pull. When I got into trap shooting I looked at what I needed for adjustment of POI and put a 1/4 inch thick cheekeze pad on my stock. I shot that until the pad started to fall apart and then went to an adjustable comb, the only time it a tool touches it is is to tighten it up. Then I found I was having a canting issue so I installed an adjustable pad, straightened out the canting and there it sits.

I found a 32 inch barrel and started using it.

But my few changes are because of things I learned about myself not chasing scores.

Al

Reactions: JACK and losclay

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Well...I bought my first 870 in 1975 or '76. Screw-in chokes were not made then to my knowledge. So, if you wanted a different choke you bought another barrel. I still have the gun and four barrels to go with it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well...I bought my first 870 in 1975 or '76. Screw-in chokes were not made then to my knowledge. So, if you wanted a different choke you bought another barrel. I still have the gun and four barrels to go with it.
You appear to know a little about 870's. I have someone who wants to buy my 870TB. It is in excellent shape with an adjustable comb and 3 Briley screw in chokes. 30' barrel. Any idea what a fair price might be? Thanx.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You appear to know a little about 870's. I have someone who wants to buy my 870TB. It is in excellent shape with an adjustable comb and 3 Briley screw in chokes. 30' barrel. Any idea what a fair price might be? Thanx.

I'll bite.

Briley chokes? Is it a factory monte carlo stock? Cut or pressed checkering?

If I were making an offer I would start at $450 but it would have to be really special to get me up to $700

But just because............

What make and model was the first factory produced model to use choke tubes.

What is the name used for the second mass production factory choke tubed in shotguns?

I will have to check the the old catalogs but I can't remember Remington having a factory choke tubed gun until sometime in the 1980s and I think Browning had choke tubes on the market earlier then Remington. But that is 40 years ago or nearly so.

Al

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
What Big Az Al said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts