Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a slightly used 2016 Tundra last month. I had to deal for 5 hours before the manager would budge from his 34K asking price. (4x4, dual cab, king bed, towing package, heated mirrors etc with just 8K on the clock) I wanted to pay only 30K but there were no other Tundras within 150 miles of me at the same or lower price. I got it for $31,500. The deal had a few hiccups like missing floor mats and a missing second key fob but I got that ironed out after some persistent arguing. I traded in an immaculate 2002 Ranger Edge with 97K on the clock. I had all of the gas and maintenance records as well as new tires on the rig. Book said trade in was from a low of $1500 to a high of $5000. My truck was so fresh looking that I began asking $3500. After two hours I got $2000 but not until he tried to really low ball me with $1000. He (sales manager) groaned about the high mileage, the 5 speed manual, and went on about how he was going to get next to nothing for it and how it would have to go to auction. A couple of lot boys wandered and were chatting in Spanish about how good the truck looked and how they wanted to buy it. The sales manager hushed them and got them out of the building. I never let on that I speak chunt Spanish pretty well and knew what they were saying. In the end, I gave up maybe 1-1.5K by not doing a private sale buy I figured it was ok since I was spared that hassle and risk. Selling cars in LA by private party can be dangerous.

So why the rant? Well I saw it today at the market and met the teen who bought it. They soaked him for just under $10,000. I didn't tell him what I gave it up for but I sure felt bad for him. He paid way too much and...it came right off the lot a week after I traded it. No auction, no need to clean it up. Just a change of tires. I have no faith in anything a car dealer tells me. I've seen too many greedy jerks.
R Talley

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I have a good friend who owned a used car lot, I knew him well enough to answer your question.

One day I saw he had four expensive used tires in his office, I joked about it saying: Isn't used tire dealer lower than used car dealer?
"No way. Nothing can be lower than a used car dealer." He replied with a smile.

There're a period of time when I got nothing better to do, I often tag along with him to the auction on premium car days just to see what's there. I also went with him 7:00 am to buy new car dealer's trade in from previous day, I saw almost everything first hand how the price on the same car went from $15000 to 30000 in a matter of days.

I also know a few premium car dealers well enough to see how they offer on trade in cars.

A girl came to buy a new 2016 Mercedes C300 with a 2005 C240 trade in. The used car manager offered her $1500 for that almost mint condition 70000 mile C240.

The girl was smart enough to refuse the trade in offer, leased the new C300 under MBUSA promotional program.

I talk to the dealer's General Manager during dinner that night, asking about that particular offer, here's what he said,
Any car with original factory warranty expired (4 year/50000 mile in this case), they don't keep at the used lot.
If they do, it'll get a 30 days used warranty with new tires and couple hundred points check and update, that could cost $1000~2000 in this case.
Then, there's a minimum $3000 profit required by the Corp. office on cars like these.
So, if they keep that car for their used lot, the price will likely be $7995.

The best used cars are the one cherry picked by the same maker's new car dealer's used dept. to keep in their own used lot as certified pre-own. Rest of the trade in go to auction for average used car dealers to buy.

Rental car companies retired cars are cherry picked by their employees to buy, some better ones will sell at their own used dept., rest of them goes to companies like CarMax etc.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I sold cars, both new and used, for a short time. In my case it was a small town dealership.

I can tell you that I never lied to anyone in a deal. I can't say that for the buyers though. Many think that it's ok to lie to a car salesmen. I've made deals for cars and the buyer takes the good tires off and put an old weak battery in when they showed up to finalize the sale.

I had a "man of the cloth" tell me what could buy a new Buick ( a special order car ) from the dealer in his church's home town. The way I figured, he was lying by about $1,200. I knew the owner of the dealership in the clergyman's town and called him with the preacher still sitting across my desk. I told the salesman what the preacher said and he just laughed. He told me what his bid was and mine was about $200 below that.

I thanked him and hung up the phone. Then I told the preacher that neither I nor other dealer appreciated his lying. I threw him out and told him never to darken my door again.

I can go on and on.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I buy vehicles new, maintain them properly and drive them until the wheels fall off. I have a brother who works for Toyota so I can buy a new Toyota product at the employee price without a negotiation. I give my old vehicle to the Volunteers of America. I have done this for the past three vehicles I have owned. I had a 1983 Ford Club Wagon van that I owned for 331,000 miles and 23 years. My wife and Daughter each had 1997 Mercury Cougars that made it to 130,000 and 70,000 before engine failure. No more Fords. I have since purchased a 2002 Tundra, a 2007 Camry and a 2010 RAV4. All are going strong.

The 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited 4.7 V-8 with 200,000 plus miles drives like new and everything except the CD player works. The vehicle has excellent appearance and the A/C is still very cold. I was offered $3,500 for it in trade by a KIA dealer on a $30,000 Kia after my Toyota service department told me that a vibration in the drive line was a bent axle and that they could rebuild the rear end for $6,000.

I went to an independent garage and they determined that the axle and entire rear end assembly were fine. They diagnosed a bent section of the two piece drive shaft. They replaced the bent section with a new original equipment part, three universal joints and a center support for $800. The vehicle drives so smooth that I plan to drive it for another few years. I lost a lot of faith in my Toyota dealer's service department who had performed 99% of the service on my vehicles since they were new. They are fine for normal maintenance but IMO they lack experience in major maintenance on high mileage vehicles. Either that or they want to trick you into buying a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just hate the way they did that kid. Their lies to me were expected. I told the truth...I always do but most of the car dealers I have dealt with do not. The salesman might but the managers.....no way

·
Registered
167 Posts
They are all the same just like us when buying . Your trying to get the best price and they're doing the same dance selling. If I'm not comfortable with a purchase I reach my hand out and wish them a good day.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Think car dealers are bad? Talk to some motor home buyers.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
With all the information available on the internet, the kid could have known the actual value range for the car in all of about 3 minutes sitting at the dealer looking at his smart phone.

It is an expensive life if you are stupid or lazy.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
That is the only place those kind of guys can get a job and make a pretty good income. A good friend owns a car dealership. He told me a car two years old will sell for 50% of the original retail price at auction. It's then marked up at least 30% for resale.

·
Registered
29,269 Posts
What annoys me is they do not listen or pay attention. My wife had a chat line converstation with a dealer about a new Malibu.

She told him she would be free to talk on the phone after 12 noon, he called for her at 10 AM.

She said she wanted to put so much down, no trade and she wanted a Premier in a specific color.

He sends there quotes two cars in the model she asked about, one in the color she wanted then told her the best deal he had was in a LS model without the safety features she told him she wanted.

He then wanted to know what she was trading in, how much additional down and finance.

I was so livid I told her she needs to walk away from this guy right now.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best deal I ever made was a new RAV4 that I bought over the internet. Dealers competed for my business and the price paid was below average SoCal market. No screwing around with a lying sales manager and my trade-in price was guaranteed before I went down there provided my description was honest.

As to the kid, he wanted this truck too badly and the dealer saw a pigeon. I hate people who take advantage of the old, women, and youth.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's just "good sport" dealing with car salesmen. They don't force you to buy. Good fun walking away with them having their bottom lip hanging at waist level. But after the third-fourth phone call and a couple weeks, it's amazing the price reduction you'll be offered.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I feel bad for the salesman. They are so incompetent that the dealership won't even give them the price of the car they are trying to sell. Can you imagine going to the grocery store and the checker having to ask their manager the prices?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
R Talley,

I've purchased several new Toyotas from a local dealer. On each occasion the salesman said that Toyota upper management (from Japan) does not want local sales staff pressuring customers in the manner you described. They would tell me their asking price, if I didn't like it, I should go elsewhere. Never did I get the typical methods salesman employ. With that in mind, I would be tempted to get on the internet and attempt to communicate with staff in Japan to report the ordeal you went through. Perhaps that's impossible, I don't know.

On the other hand, I have learned the hard way from other encounters. Never trade in a vehicle, unless you know you just can't sell it yourself. Even then, expect the dealership to makeup the difference on the price of the new vehicle.

Once the typical sales staff sense you really want their vehicle, you're in trouble.

Bottom line, I think the average car sales staff are most likely related to lawyers and politicians!

Steve

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When dealing with any salesmen you have to have a plan before you negotiate.
Know what your car is worth, know what the car you're buying is worth.
Tell the salesman what you're willing to pay AFTER you hear his offer.
If you don't get what you want, walk away. NEVER get emotionally
involved with the purchase and always be willing to walk away if you
don't get what you want. There is always another dealer with the car you
want.

Most people get screwed up by thinking "I want to buy now". Poor buying strategy.
You're the buyer so you're the one in control.

·
Molon Labe
11,981 Posts
New vehicles never tripped my trigger so I have generally driven used ones, I have bought 3 new ones though, when I was looking for an F250 4x4 PS for my wife I called the salesman I had bought my truck from and asked him if he had what I wanted he said he had exactly what I wanted but he was about 150 miles from us. So we looked around the DFW metromess for something closer, we were in Plano and had a female saleslady, I told her what I wanted she said the closest one was in Houston and was a little snippy about it, I told her no there was one in Weatherford, she snapped back well if you liked it so much why didn't you buy it?

I still had my salesman's number on my phone, so I called him and told him to get it ready I would be there in a couple hours

I swear her jaw dropped to the floor

·
Premium Member
10,609 Posts
In 1989 I bought an Olds Cutlass. Oldsmobile had come out with a vendor purchase program to encourage their vendors, of which I was one, to purchase their cars. Olds sent out a program package which clearly stated the pricing.

The salesman gave me his price. I told him it was too much. He asked me how much I wanted to pay. I told him what the vendor purchase price was and he said, "No one pays that little." I showed him the package paperwork and said, "I do." He took it to his sales manager, who had no choice but to approve the sale.

I don't believe the salesman cared but the sales manager looked like he had just eaten a turd.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I was at a Tarpon Springs Chevy dealer in'08 getting an oil change on a Corvette. I struck up a conversation with another old guy getting the same on his Vette.

He claimed that he had tried to do a deal on a last model year small pickup, something inexpensive to putt around in, etc. He said the sales people wouldn't even try to make a sale even though all the car sales were in the tank and nothing was selling.

We went to the show room floor which was empty and had to drag a salesperson inside from a smoke break. He gave him the same song and dance, I asked if I could get on his computer and went to the GM Family website, logged in got a Supplier Discount Certificate, printed it out , checked for any rebates, got them also.

The price was about $6000 less than he tried to get, plus they couldn't charge the usual $600 document fees.

The old guy wrote a check and came back later in the day to get his truck.

Right place at the right time.

Pat

1 - 20 of 43 Posts