Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They seem to be priced a lot higher than Winchester primers and are hard to find. Dale

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Not sure. Remington hasn't been too keen on reloading components in awhile and I quit their primers when they skyrocketed in price. I think this happened when they got sold to the current holding company. From what I hear the company isn't too keen on shooting anyway. They just keep them as an added asset.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Because they can and know some diehards will pay it. Then again, I am not sure Remington gives a rats behind if people buy their reloading supplies or not.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
They make the best hulls for reloading, and some people decide that they need to reload Remington hulls with Remington components, so there is a built in market. Kind of like having to buy replacement parts for a Mercedes. If you want to drive a Mercedes, it will cost you to buy Mercedes parts. I use Remington hulls, and fill them with Fiocchi primers, Alliant powder, Claybuster wads, and reclaim shot. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I quit buying the primers because of price. Very recently quit buying their wads for the same reason. I was one of those that always used matching factory components as Mark speaks to above. No more. I love the Remington hulls but stuff them with Claybuster or Downrange wads and Winchester or Federal primers. Performance of my loads is just as good. I can even use a little less powder (usually) because the Remington primers are on the mild side.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
At our Farm&Home it seemed to me like they were just catering to the muzzle loaders? They'd have Remington primers in sleeves of 100 for $6! And Winchester 209s for $30 a 1000. The Winchesters finally crept up to $35, but as you'd expect, the Remingtons just sit on the shelf. They have a heck of a gun/ammo department now, but this particular area is just plain weird.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
Remington primers are at least a c-note per case more than Winchesters, which are probably the second most expensive primer available. Insane.

·
Premium Member
5,927 Posts
One reason people buy them is because of the way Alliant expresses a bias in their loading data for listing Rem primers with Rem hulls, Federal primers with Federal Hull, and Win primers with Win hulls. If you are using an Alliant powder and a Rem hull, most of the recipes use Rem primers. Many are loath to substitute primers. And it's one reason I prefer Hodgdon powder, the data is more diverse.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I used them faithfully for well over 30 years. I probably shot 10,000 a year at least.

I quit them a couple years ago because of the price.

I went to Winchester and am okay with them.

Screw you Remingtion!!!

Hauxfan!

461 Posts
Part of it is that Remington has made a corporate decision to withdraw from low margin competition.

Another part of it is that Remington primers, all Remington's primers (rifle, pistol, shotgun), come from the same production facility, and that facility was (is?) strained to the max, and not easy to ramp-up. Why let rifle and pistol lines (high margin) run at less than capacity because of primer constraints while selling primers at low margin to reloaders? Why sell Remington primers to reloaders, then buy third party primers to meet high margin production requirement?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
One reason people buy them is because of the way Alliant expresses a bias in their loading data for listing Rem primers with Rem hulls, Federal primers with Federal Hull, and Win primers with Win hulls. If you are using an Alliant powder and a Rem hull, most of the recipes use Rem primers. Many are loath to substitute primers. And it's one reason I prefer Hodgdon powder, the data is more diverse.
If you email Alliant, they will tell you that you can substitute the Win primer for the Rem primer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts