Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really miss shoot'n Whistle Pigs, just not enough around here to spend time glassing a soy bean field. I've heard the rising coyote populations have put large dent in the ground hogs as those hog hunters now shooting Song Dogs.

My favorite caliber was 204 Ruger, pushed .40 V Max's @ 3600, grouped .25 -.30 out of a Cooper, that little bullet was nasty on the pigs.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Not nearly as many of them around here as there used to be, either- I made friends with an older fella that still loves to get after them and I go sit with him sometimes still.

When I was really into it, I mostly used a .22-250 with some sort of 55-grain bullet (what my gun shot the best), but I’ve been known to use a .17 HMR, .223, .243, .270 Weatherby, .308, .30-06, .300 Win., even killed 2 with a .375 H&H (because why not?). You kind of made me look forward to it now, might have to go play with a new load or two this weekend.

· Banned
531 Posts
Love hog hunting(groundhogs) Remington 22-250 bull barrel Leupold scope 4x12. 400/500 yard shots, bang and then hear smack almost like your clapping of your hands. Where I use to hunt is now a housing development. I do also miss it!

· Registered
705 Posts
I hunted groundhogs for years had a trailer with a adjustable table where I could set up and bang away . I've seen some beautiful wildlife while glassing for them . I remember one day I was shooting the groundhog pups and I watched a Bald Eagle come in pick up the dead pups and take it to the nest . I've watched Foxes as well as coyotes trying to catch groundhogs . While I used many different chamberings one that I had the most confidence in was the 6.5x284 and on the lite end I shot the 6 br Norma . Within 400 yards I shot my XP100 pistol chambered in 6x47 Lapua. I was very fortunate I had 1000's of acres of prime groundhog hunting ground . Yes the coyotes have not helped the groundhog population.

· Registered
587 Posts
I travel west a couple time a year to do my best at keeping the prairie dog population in check. A lot of the towns that we use to shoot all day in are not nearly as good as they use to be but still a butt load of fun. Not knowing what caliber to use when we first started doing this I used a heavy barrel Model 70 Winchester with a 55gr Sierras. Had it so hot one time it smelled like bacon frying. As we learned we used .17HMR until we wore blisters on our thumbs from loading magazines. Today I shoot a rebarrel Remington 700 in 204. Shot the factory barrel out. I load 39gr Blitz Kings. Also shoot a couple wildcats in 20 Var Targ and a one of my favorites a 20-triple. Both shoot a 32gr Nosler with the 20-triple pushing nearly 4,000fps. Also learned good glass and a crisp light trigger are very important.

· Registered
745 Posts
Grew up hunting groundhogs. Best year 300. Used a 22 cheetah and 220 swift ackley. 68 grain bullets. No hogs left around me now. Have shot pdogs in Wyoming and that was a hoot. My 11 year old daughter at the time would back the truck through the town as I was proned out in the bed. Giggling like a kid.

· Registered
858 Posts
Back before new houses wiped out our groundhog hunting locations, my buddy and I had 7 farms to hunt every Saturday. My favorite rifles were a .17 Mach IV, and a .221 Fireball. I also used a custom .223 40X Remington. If anyone is interested, PM me about them. -Ed

· Registered
403 Posts
I've used alot of different calibers to shoot woodchuck's and always go back to my favorite gun. 22mag inside 150 yrds. I live around several miles of country dirt roads with alot of hay fields and railroad tracks. I usually shoot around 2 dozen a year but have to travel a little further from my home then usual because I have shot them all around here!

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I have to push the woodchucks back from the house and developed part of my properties so they don’t get into the rock walls and undermine my structures. In the past decade, the population of hogs and ground squirrels in my area has been limited by increased numbers of coyote, fox and red-tail hawks.

Across the road is a Federal wildlife preserve and the hogs are always moving up from the valley under pressure from predators. So they arrive in my yard. I usually greet them with a 20gr XTP from .17HMR. Ranges are so close it’s rare that I need a scoped rifle. Iron sights on a W9417 keeps it fun.

· Premium Member
21,558 Posts
A rat scale? Never seen one of those before.

· Registered
791 Posts
I miss hunting them like I did years ago. Like others here civilization has overtaken my area. Anything else is posted tight. I've still got my father's old Savage Hornet that I used to use as a kid, and a tack driving Ruger 77V in .220 Swift. I kill 6 or 7 a year in my yard with my RWS 45, but its been 20 plus years since I've shot one with a rifle.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts