Trapshooters Forum banner

Who patterns? I'm curious.

3633 60
Yes. Knowing that it shoots where I'm looking is a must. I like a little edge up (60/40). Off to one side or the other is intolerable. Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,783 Posts
I've always shot my shotguns for POI and look for patterns that don't have gaping holes, rather a grouping of patterns, average wise, without those wide open spaces. Choices of wad and quality of shot along with velocity seems to matter most for my patterning purposes. Shotguns as a whole work very well for its intended purpose, once in a while, along comes one that just won't do the job for you, especially beyond 35 yards. Being the forgiving tool it is, a shotgun allows us to have all kinds of myths and information that may or may not be true. Most trapshooters just sell that sucker if it won't break clays for them. I like to know the whys either way. Hap

· Registered
10,783 Posts
JP, I'm sure some of the other trapshooters wish you had a straight shootin barrel!!! Heck, they'd probably offer to bend it for ya too just to help ya out? Good shooting bud!! Hap

· Registered
10,783 Posts
Some really good information can be gleaned from re-reading this debate. Some posters deleted their posts for whatever reasons. Those new to the game may learn something about patterning "Ol Betsy" from these guys years of experiences. Hap

· Registered
10,783 Posts
Well said Neil! I do hope Sherree picks up her gun again and continues. She was doing ok with her B-Bway, maybe a recoil reducing stock may have been the ticket for her to win that elusive trophy she wanted so much! That mixed with lighter loads from the yardages she shot from may have worked better for her! I think she bought a new Beretta looking for the answer to no avail? I've never understood why a shooter says this gun shoots this way or that wanting another shooter to try said gun. The pupil of the eye to comb measurement is so different on most of us it's surprising not more are aware of it.

I do agree with your wanting new beginners to have quality help from the start too! It's so easy for people now days drifting into our sport knowing nothing at all about guns to become discouraged in a hurry! Times have changed drastically and our sport need all the help we can muster from those with experience. Most are reluctant to offer assistance to new shooters unless asked, maybe we should offer that at the club level encouraged by ATA? Or, possibly a novice class to build a more solid base? Just thinking out loud here. Hap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.