Trapshooters Forum banner

Who has a gun vault ?

2611 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  2500 HD
Saw this vault today and thought it was really nice wondering how many people have one of these
Cabinetry Wood Floor Font Flooring
Cabinetry Wood Floor Font Flooring
Photograph Wood Fashion Interior design Flooring
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts

· Registered
3,639 Posts
This is a photo from the inside looking out. It is full of "stuff" now, but not fancied up...yet. I have a steel door, but hope to replace it with an actual safe door in the near future.
Before you invest in an actual safe door, have a plan & man power to get it to your door opening. We added a vault when we built our home. Didn't realize that the door & frame would weigh 1,100 # & have no handles!

· Registered
2 Posts
Before you invest in an actual safe door, have a plan & man power to get it to your door opening. We added a vault when we built our home. Didn't realize that the door & frame would weigh 1,100 # & have no handles!
It was no joke getting our door in. 4 or 5 guys a tractor to get it close and rolled it on steel pipe to get it. Luckily we have a walk out ranch

· Registered
33 Posts
I would really love a walk in gun vault. Not that I have enough guns/value to warrant one. The above problem of needing of weight of door and not having a walk out basement has prevented me from considering it. If I was doing a new build I would definitely incorporate one.

· Premium Member
21,615 Posts
When we built our house 20 years ago, we had a tornado room dug in our basement. That's where we keep our papers, titles etc. and I have my guns, et. al. in there. It is built out of cinderblocks, poured full of concrete and a concrete ceiling. Steel door opens to the rest of the basement.

· Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't have one yet? I have talked with a county road engineer and he told me if I do ever build a vault place a sheet of steel 1/8" thick in the center of the walls and top, inside the concrete, this slows drilling, and also prevents the steel being cut with a torch due to concrete popping! Also vibrate the concrete when it is being poured, prevents honeycomb of finished product. He said he has spent many an hour trying to bust up bridge deck built like this with a jackhammer on an excavator.
DaveB

· Registered
3,703 Posts
This is a photo from the inside looking out. It is full of "stuff" now, but not fancied up...yet. I have a steel door, but hope to replace it with an actual safe door in the near future.
View attachment 1738952
That looks like typical home construction. A vault door would discourage the typical smash and grab 18 yr old but anyone targeting you would come in through your ceiling with a chainsaw. Then there is the possibility of fire raining down. Reinforcing the ceiling with steel or concrete would be very expensive. I would instead invest in a good gun safe to put inside the room.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.