Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Who actually got you started in trapshooting, and what club did you shoot your first round of trap at?

My brother in law Bill called me one Saturday morning and asked if my wife and I would like to join him and his wife in a round of trap?

I asked what's trap? The first round of trap I ever shot was at the Big Muskego gun club better known as Boxhorn's, in Muskego Wisconsin.

I could never thank him enough for getting me into the greatest sport known to man. All my friends just happen to be in the shooting sports.

Please share your personal story of who do you thank for getting you into trapshooting and where did you shoot your first round of trap?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
A friend at work asked me if I had ever thought about joining a trap league, since John Deere's had one.

I asked, what is trap?

Well, anyway, I did and was hooked from the moment I shot my first round. Which was a 16 using a field grade gun.

That has been about 42 years or so and I've been shooting ever since.

My friend who got me into it quit after one year. Guess it wasn't for him.

I shot my first round a Cedar Falls Gun Club, Cedar Falls, Ia. They also are the Iowa State home grounds.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
About forty-five years, give or take a few, ago, a friend & I went to a local sportsmens club monthly meeting. When we arrived, early, shooters were on the line, you remember the old pipe in the back to cock & fire the trap. We watched for a bit & he said we should try that, it loks like fun. The following week we did. He has since passed away and I'm still at it. I figure over the years, he cost me two or three new cars at least. I still shoot there. Gem City Outdoorsmens Club, Fairview, Pa.

Big Jack

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
It wasn't really trap, it was just blazing away at clay pigeons. I was about 11 one time and we had stopped at a Holiday gas station, they were the first "convenience" store there was but they sold about everything and ammo and that stuff was everything to me. They had some clay pigeons and a thrower there I asked my Dad what they were and he told me, since I had that weeks allowance burning a hole in my pocket I bought a box of White Flyers and a hand thrower, that was Saturday night

Sunday morning I was hooked on shooting clays, in any game possible

Then I bought a Mec 600 jr, and the rest is history

·
Registered
611 Posts
Back in the 60's,Orcas Island Wa.,,I would go to the gun club to shoot my rifle ,,Some fellows were there shooting trap,,,the trap house consisted of a hole in the ground with some logs over it ,open in the front ,an old remington machine was mounted in there,the machine was operated by a pipe ,which had a lever that was pushed or pulled to set and or trip the trap,,When done they gave me a box of shells and loaned a shotgun..so ,betwwen the ATA and the PITA I am nearing 200,000 registered targets ,,,MX8Dave

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Lol Steve.....

I was introduced to trap by a Madame and her Boyfriend. It was at International Trap & Skeet, here in So California ... back in the mid '70s.

No ... I was not a customer, just a casual friend.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
My old friend Mike, who hand me over his Beretta ASE Gold and a box of AA.

I have never owned any shotgun before, and I fell in love with the ASE right away. I was more interested in the equipment than the sport that day.

Before that day, I always thought my P7M8 was expensive. And my Korth .357 was a Holy Grail. :)

Further investigation lead me to many guns I never heard of, and I finally bought my very first shotgun, a Perazzi MX-8B. A relatively inexpensive Bunker model at the time. But I love it.

I call myself a trapshooter solely because there's a trap range 10 minutes away from me, and I shoot trap every Sunday morning. SC, Bunker, and skeet are all 45 miles away, I shoot them when I have time.

Now days, I almost gave up rifle shooting, I still shoot pistols for self defense practices. But shotgun sport is my love.

Thank you Mike, you opened a beautiful door for me.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find these stories very interesting. My first round of trap took place in winter and the owner of the gun club had huts that you actually shot in to protect you from the wind. The huts did not last to long as the noise was quite loud when you shot. I sure miss those early days.
Steve

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I started by shooting with a friend that I worked with. We started shooting targets off a small launcher at a state site for shooting. We graduated after a few months to a club, talk about being embarrassed, we both did well from the small launcher we started with . When we shot our first rounds at a Trap Club neither of us shot better than 8 targets in a round. We were allowed to join the club as shooting members back then (40 years ago) and I'm still a member at the club.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
2006 when I joined the Chatuge Gun Club in Towns County Georgia. Every Wednesday a bunch of guys pull out the trap machine and sets it up on the gun range. Not registered but good enough to addict me! Before that time the last clay bird I shot was in 1975. The guys provided guidance and instructions but the best instruction that I received was shooting registered trap tournaments about 6 months later. Bought every book and video and finally attended a Nora Ross clinic 3 years ago. That move had the biggest impact. Now while still shooting tournaments, I'm getting involved as a 4H Shooting Coach which I believe will provide immense personal satisfaction.

blade819

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Frank Little. Pipe in the back to cock. Private trap owned by a construction company. Frank was helping our Jaycee chapter in a fund raising shoot. First registered at Tioga County Sportsmens Club in Owego, N.Y I think 1972. ed

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
But the most fun I had shooting clays was in the USAF, when I was in gunnery school in Castle AFB they had a track set up and you sat in a chair thing in the back of a pickup truck, and as you went around the course there were wires the pickup tires hit and it would trip the thrower, and you had no idea where it was going, it was good training for tail gunners, and fun, but everybody loved to do it so you couldn't get as much as you wanted

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I wanted to bird hunt and could not hit the ocean from a rowboat for aerial targets.

My only shotgun shooting that worked well was tactical shooting, where the shotgun is used more like a rifle.

A friend, who is now a judge, asked me to join him for trap shooting.

Shot trap on and off from the late 80's to the late 90's with dismal results with a 12ga Wingmaster that beat me up. Sold it and looked for another gun.

About that time my gunshop buddy got in a Browning Model 12 in 20 ga. Bought it and tried it for trap. With the same dismal results. A "good day" for me was breaking more than a dozen.

Somewhere around 2000 or so I found ts.com. I managed to improve my score to between 18 and 20 with that 20ga, but just could not get over the hump. I was shooting one eyed at the time. I also bought an 1187 about this time, but had the same scores with it.

Someone here suggested a Uni-Dot, and three months later I ran my first 25 and 50.

As for hunting, I've done upland for pheasant, grouse and quail. And have managed to come home with some, too. So the trap shooting has paid off for my original goal.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
In Oct. of 1971 Dad took me to Boxhorns. I was 12 and went 12/25 with his Silver Snipe. Not exactly a natural. The next day we went duck hunting on opening day. I used that gun to connect on my 1st shot at a woodie. Took me a full box to kill another duck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My first experience was at a turkey shoot in the Fall of 1960. I had just purchased a used Browning 12 ga. 3" magnum A5 goose gun from the owner of the local sporting goods store. It was a "fling what you bring" format with five guys shooting five shots each. Most of the other guns were modified choke pheasant slayers and I had a long full choked barrel. We were probably all shooting left-over hunting loads. Out of twenty five shots there might be ten hits. Usually five would be mine. I really liked that game. Ron

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I did...........

I always said when I get too old and crippled up to keep rodeoing I'm gonna' take up Trapshooting, eventually that happened. Shot my first round at the old Scobey Gun Club (16x25)with a Ruger Red Label field gun.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My best friend (one in a life time) Lee Gorsuch. In 1973 he invited me and my wife to join him and his wife (neither woman shot) At the Winchester Gun club near Columbus Ohio. I was hooked with the first shot, Lee enjoyed it but he was a hunter/fisherman at heart. We shot practice for a year or two together. I joined the ATA in 1981, went to the Grand 25 years straight and still love the game today. My buddy Lee got colon cancer in the early 90's, One of my fondest memories is taking him to the Ohio State shoot in 1995. Eillen Bishel (once president of the O.S.T.A.) Loaned me a golf cart to show him around. We shot a practice, hit all the vendors, we had a great day! April of the following year Lee lost his battle, every time I visit his grave site I leave a once fired Remington shell on his headstone. Lee was only 50 years old.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
In 1965, I was helping a farmer bale hay and straw, and one boy mentioned working for a trap club by Marion Indiana. Club was called Deer Creek, and I think it is still open.

Another school chum, Mark Cooper, was shooting there with is Dad, Jim Cooper. I went to work setting targets, and flunky work. Then, my friend asked if I wanted to shoot targets with is 1100.

I was nervous, but after only three rounds, I had a 25 straight. Talk about blind luck!!

I need to go back to Deer Creek sometime and shoot for old times sake.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Dad took me with him once when I was real young, and I thought I like this. But I don't remember him going again other than at family picnics where an uncle would bring a hand thrower and we'd shoot some of those across the hay field.

There was Sportsmen Club close enough we could hear them shoot. It wasn't a bad walk...across the hayfield to the neighbors lane, down his lane and through his barnyard to his back pony pasture, across that and across his fence put me on the club's archery field course which I could follow to the club.

I still remember the rules for that club written on the walls of the ruins of a barn and on the back the $1 junior membership card. One of those was "No Cussing". Language from a different era.

They had a Sportsmen's Day every fall and I would walk down and shoot 25 trap at those with an old lever-cock trap. After I got my $10 Lee Loader I think I was able to shoot 50 targets one year.

After they sold the farm and moved into town I was invited by a town neighbor to shoot some trap...out in field with some sort of hand cocked trap with some plywood and sawhorses for a 'traphouse'.

Liked that and after I got a car and part-time job I could drive about 10 miles to the real trap club and shoot some. But it was off to college and not much shooting for 4 years other than once or twice a summer during vacation.

After college it was mostly skeet. But where I am now there is not much skeet, but they do have sporting so I started shooting sporting. I like that too. But some of the guys shooting sporting asked me to shoot a winter trap league. So I did and found it very enjoyable.

I shot 100 registered in 1967 and 100 registered about 2012. Not much desire to shoot more registered but I do plan on shooting that trap league again and some of the non-registered events at local clubs, including that first 'real trap club' I shot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My husband, with some help from the WSSF…

I believe the year was 1999, I know it was at the Grand.

They held a ‘day at the range’ sponsored by the Women’s Sport Shooting Foundation. I signed up, and patiently waited my turn, knowing no matter what happened I was going to get a goodie bag.

I remember looking out at a clear blue sky with barely a cloud in it. I have no idea if anyone else was there, I was pretty focused.

They had the trap set for straight-aways. They provided instruction and once I was ready it all happened so fast, whoosh the orange target came out, probably 200 mph. I surely closed my eyes the minute I pulled the trigger or as soon as I heard the bang because I couldn’t see the target after I shot. They told me I smoked it and pointed out the little cloud of dust in the spot where I last remembered seeing it.

What a rush.

I bought a gun and a WSSF sweatshirt. I have no clue what was in the goodie bag.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts