Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for shop that does the best work in raising dent in walnut stock with reasonable TOT?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If its a "sharp" dent, wood fibers may be cut, if its all "gentle" good results may follow. Some would suggest trying a damp wash cloth/clean rag and borrow your wifes iron and "steam" the dent. What do you have to lose?
Worst case, strip and refinish stock if its a bad one and the iron/damp rag dont work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep ...damp rag and moms cloths iron works great. Also, I have had the best luck with dripping droplets of water directly on the dented wood and letting it penetrate, then using the damp rag and iron. Repeat until desired result. As long as its a rounded dent you'll be happy. But just as RD said, if the wood fibers are cut your SOL. You'll still be able to raise the dent some but the wood will show damage where the fibers were severed. Also, best if the finish is stripped first so the steam can penetrate the wood. Good luck. JT

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
When you do this, are you just heating the damp cloth, or are y'all pressing the steam button?

·
Registered
353 Posts
only works on oil finished stocks. Wet rag with a dry iron. A soldering iron pressed into a wet cloth also works well to push steam into small dents.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When you do this, are you just heating the damp cloth, or are y'all pressing the steam button?
No need to push the steam button on the iron. Just place the generously damp rag and press the hot iron on the dent. Lift iron and rotate the rag as needed to create as much steam needed to pull the dent outward. To be expected, the steam is hot so keep your hands and fingers away. It may take several attempts so be patient. For superior results, you need to have the dent cleared of the old top coat finish so the water can penetrate the raw wood. i.e. oil, lacquer, polyurethane etc. Good luck. JT

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you chose to try the method mentioned above, as was said by Dead-A-Pair, be patient. Be careful not to leave the iron on the dampened rag too long. I have used this method and it worked great to raise an indentation. However, I wasn't patient and by leaving the iron in one spot too long and not rotating the rag it caused a haze, or light cloudy area in the finish around the dent. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts