Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does the nicest work you've seen for the money? And it doesn't have to be a stock-maker, it can be someone who finishes them or makes adj. combs, etc. I'm looking for Winchester 1897 wood and proper period buttplate. If I can't find any I'll have to have it made, I guess. Thanks.

G

·
Voolfie,

If you don't have any luck finding one, I can give you a name to contact. He does work for the Winchester Historical Society. PM me for the info, as he doesn't want his name posted on these threads(he has plenty of work as it is and doesn't advertise!)

ec90t

·
Vendor
7,492 Posts
carroll lance rushville mo-- by far the best for the money 816-688-7540

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
On an 1897 I'm probably the best for the money! Doug Turnbell restoration may be the best but he will probably charge 3 to 4 times as much as I will.

Are you talking about a standard grade 1897 or a targt grade gun? The charge for me to make a standard grade stock and install a period plate would be around $500 about $300 for a butstock only. I would try Gunparts first and see if they have any stocks as well as boyd's if they do they would be in the $100-150 range and all you would have to do is get a period plate installed.
Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best stock work I've ever had done is done by Scott Hyde of HPI Recoil System at Deer Park, WA, phone 509-276-9227. Scott specializes in a recoil reduction system that is second to none at a very reasonable price. I have five of his systems installed including one on a Super Gold Scroll K-80 and one on a Kolar TA Gold Elite. Workmanship is excellent and turnaround is fast. David Fisher, KY

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Chris Vendel, the All American shooter, does the best work I've ever seen. He just doesn't advertise. He is in Rochester NY.

I have never seen better checkering than his.

·
Registered
14,972 Posts
Tom Smith has done 4 for me, and I'm always impressed with his work. I'd post some pics, but can't get it to work. Dennis Devault's work is beautiful too. Id like some more info on the HPI recoil reducer by Scott Hyde. Is it a spring loaded system? Does the comb move or stationary?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.