Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for someone to make a grip cap similar to what Bill Mains used to do? Thanks in advance and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Howard Simon

He goes by "Simon Engraving" here on TS.COM. Send him a PM and he should get back with you. He does fabulous work which has been shown on here on several occasions.

If he doesn't get back with you, send me a PM and I can help.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen. I have sent Howard a PM for contact info to discuss further. Good shooting to all, Rey

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Did Simon buy Bill Main's old plate's and die's to stamp them out??? Or does he have his own version that he does??? break em all Jeff

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I have to admit that I inadvertently made my original post here sound as if Howard just took over where Bill Mains left off. That wasn't my intention however it appeared that way. What I should have said, is Howard is a very talented engraver who I'm sure could handle the job. Hap MecTweaks on here has shown several of his guns that Howard completely engraved. I have also seen many other projects of Howard's in person. He does unbelievable work. He is a retired tool and diemaker and a pure natural at engraving. Howard is not the most computer savvy person although he does post here from time to time. I do not know if he has an email. I am certain he can handle the grip caps but that is purely his call. I have his phone number but I'd rather you PM him and let him give it to you. If need be, I'll call Howard myself and let him know of the inquiry's here. This is a guy that can engrave anything and make it look like a custom work of art, no exaggeration.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Thanks for the FYI there Trapshooter!!!

Does anyone know who might have Bill's old grip cap equipment??? Or did his family just keep most of his stuff??? break em all Jeff

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks for the FYI there Trapshooter!!!

Does anyone know who might have Bill's old grip cap equipment??? Or did his family just keep most of his stuff??? break em all Jeff
As far as I know. Bills family still has all of his stuff. I have had no lucky contacting his family.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
As far as I know. Bills family still has all of his stuff.
I was afraid of that. Seems like a waste too. His prices were very affordable for the ave. Joe, so they could have there Browning or Beretta done. Most of the custom ones are just out of the reach of the average Joe. To bad. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Did Simon buy Bill Main's old plate's and die's to stamp them out???
I found this question interesting. I actually watched Bill Mains cut and shape the metal for my grip cap at the Last NSSA World Shoot he attended before passing away. There was no plates or dies. he simply cut the metal with hand tools, and then shaped it by hammering it to get the concave/rounded shape he wanted it to have. Once he got it to where he liked it, he drilled the holes in the metal cap, and then drilled the holes in my stock. I can still remember smelling the wood when he drilled it. He put it on and said, "that's what it's going to look like." I said great!

He gave me back the gun, and said it would be ready the next day. He engraved it, pounded the gold in to the letters, and then blued it over night. The next morning, it was ready!

What a craftsman! Wish I had more work done by him before he passed. He had a little booklet he would give out, with examples of his work, and prices. I think you could get full scroll done on the side of a Kolar for about $600. Adding gold birds was another $300.

We will never again see another craftsman with his talent level, at his affordable prices! RIP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts