Who do you look up to? | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you look up to?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Subjr1, May 22, 2020.

1. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Frank and Mary O’Brien, Roger Smith. Several others over the years.

Mr. Lester and KS-OKIE thanked this.
  2. known ability!!!!

known ability!!!! TS Member

There are many, but the the man that i really love to watch and look up to is MY SON !!!
    TAD HORTON ( CHASE HORTON DAD )

X1, entropy, Suffdog and 1 other person thanked this.
  3. Steve12

Steve12 Well-Known Member

The Duke

4. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family Well-Known Member

I know my sons would have to say they look up to their dad, Bud, for instilling drive and passion into their lives. Bud has led by example to always give back to the sport. He has always been ready, willing and able to help people on and off the trap line.
    Without a doubt, Leo Harrison III and family definitely helped to shape this sport and have had such an impact on so many people, our family included.
    Another great shooter that the boys have looked up to is Sean Hawley. Sean is always approachable and has given them some great advice.
    So many people have helped to keep this sport alive. Club managers, coaches, trap help, shoot directors who work tirelessly to put on a great shoot for everyone, many times without pay or recognition.
    We also look up to our SD state ATA director, Bob Felber. He has been our "go-to" guy since we were introduced to this sport in 2003.
    Char Bartholow

puablo, little bud, WadHopper and 9 others thanked this.
  5. X1

X1 Well-Known Member

My Father for one,his proudest moment was placing 7th at the grand american handicap in the mid 70s,he also won the iowa state handicap and won many shoots all over the country and once broke 375 straight with an off the rack model 12 to beat Dean Bright in a shoot off.
    And the other is the late great Leo Harrison.Leo was always a nice man and a great shooter and always played the game straight,did not cheat,did not play nasty little games,did not act like a jackhole.I was mostly a trap boy at places like the iowa state shoot and the grand etc back in the early 80s and late 70s,Had the displeasure of seeing some of the so called legends in action and some were just plain jackholes,some were not great sportsman,some were target claimers,some tried to intimidate score keepers,Leo on the other hand was always a sportsman and the best I ever saw,he did not cheat or act like a jackhole or play little games to upset his opponents to win,always kind to the trap help regardless of outcome,he was just the best to ever shoot trap.The funny part was Leo often got fast and slow pulls because you could barely hear him call(No voice callers in those days)when you thought he was ready you pushed the button and the target evaporated..So damn good..

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    phatkaw, puablo, acorange and 3 others thanked this.
  6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Over the years, I have looked up to a few people in the shooting sports and not all are actual shooters. Sydney Jesse James was an elderly man who shot for Schlitz here in Milwaukee. His generosity and knowledge of the game was second to none.

Vic Reinders was a personal friend and taught me the correct way to conduct myself as a trap shooter. He showed me a work ethic that few will ever match. Although I was never able to become a great shooter it was not from his lack of trying.

Leo Harrison was a true gentleman in this sport of ours and he always had the time to congratulate and encourage shooters with a less skill set then himself. He passed away way to young and is missed by many.

And lastly, the numerous people who volunteer in our sport without expecting anything in return. In my opinion, these are the true heroes in the shooting sports.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

X1 and SD Trap Family thanked this.
  7. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

Your entire family is incredible, thank you all and here’s to many more years, cheers!

Dbl Auto and SD Trap Family thanked this.
  8. michigan_berry

michigan_berry TS Member

My grandpa, dad and two uncles who all shoot were my first coaches and are still the ones I enjoy shooting with and look up to the most.

Frank Woods has been one of my biggest shooting influences outside of my family. I’ve known Frank almost my whole life and anybody who’s shot at Mason or around Michigan in the last 30+ years has probably met Frank and knows what I’m talking about. He’s helped a lot with my shooting but mostly has lead by example for me and countless others as an ambassador to the sport. He’s always involved and always willing and able to help any shooter however he can.

Also, big time respect for the volunteers and folks who make any shoot run. Getting involved is hard enough but the amount of work those folks put in for little to no thanks (let alone money) is incredible.

tom berry and SD Trap Family thanked this.
  9. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

The man I remember most is Woodson King.
    Hardly a shoot goes by that something he said or did is not mentioned by me or others.
    He truly loved shooting those damn 16 yard targets and was greatly involved in trapshooting in KY.

Pipe Layer and SD Trap Family thanked this.
  10. saskbooknut

saskbooknut Well-Known Member

I also have to give a nod to my Dad.
    Joined the RAF in 1938, having paid his own passage to England, and served to the end in 1945.
    He was a man of kind words, tending to the philosophical and no personal interest in guns, he'd had a belly full in the war.
    He hardly ever talked about his experiences and wanted nothing to do with glorifying the war.
    Even as a frail old man, he could get attention at 100 yards with a Sergeant's parade square bark.
    His generation gave up a lot of years to defeating the threat of Fascism.

Old_Diabetic_100 thanked this.
  11. X1

X1 Well-Known Member

Chase is a great ambassador for the sport and a great champion and is another Man who plays the game straight. Class act all the way,they are different shooters and different Men but he reminds me of Leo Harrison in that regard.

Jaburg1 and ganger thanked this.
  12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My dad never shot at a clay target in his life and his only shotgun was a Winchester 16ga. Single shot. I would not have known what trap is had it not been for my dear friend Ken (RIP), who got me started shooting trap and always gave me encouragement. And Britt Robinson. I was privileged to have shot the 1990 Montana State Shoot with him on my squad and then took his clinic 4 years later. Great gentleman and superb teacher.

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 4:19 PM
  13. targetsmoker

targetsmoker Well-Known Member

I think some people are just throwing out big names here. chances are there was somebody in our lives that encouraged our shooting and helped us along the way from the small clubs where we started. For me it is a gentleman named Jim Doolittle who frequented the small club which is where i started shooting. I have been fortunate enough to shoot countless rounds with him both registered and non registered over the last 35 years. Thanks Jim for all you have done.

t jordan thanked this.
  14. jcollette

jcollette Active Member

Anyone over 6’1”

Quick 1 thanked this.
  15. rw993

rw993 Banned User Banned

Dan Orlich (first exposure to great shooting), Kaye Ohye (went to clinic early on), Phil Kiner (got to shoot with at a few large shoots), Steve Charmichael ( Left handed!!!)

16. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Well-Known Member

In 1961 I was introduced to the shotgun world by setting skeet and trap targets at our local club. I look up to, and back at, all those men who guided me on the right path, teaching me gun safety, and ethics.

Later in life I became involved in Trap, and met a man who changed my life forever. He, at the time was the NJ Delegate, and went on to be the Curator of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame when it was in Vandalia. Kenny Ray Estes got me so interested in the history of this sport, I continue to this day collecting and donating whatever I can to support the history of the sport.

Then along the way, when I was struggling with the dreaded "Flinch", I had the opportunity to shoot with two of the best Canada had to offer at one of the shoots at the NY home grounds. After we finished the 200 single's, I apologized to these strangers for my flinching, and hoped that I didn't distract them. They sat with my wife and I for 2 hours, telling me about flinching, and one told me he had developed a dry fire chart but thought that I was "too far gone" for that to help me. They told me about going to a Release, and how the Chart would be of great benefit to use before going to the range with it. I purchase my first (of many) chart, got the old Rottweil a double release, practiced with the chart, and broke my first 200 in singles the following year.

To this day I still look up to those two fellows, Terry Jordan and Bill (Two Dogs) Wylie for their willingness to share their opinions with me, and have been friends ever since that day.

Then came a "kid" I used to watch when he was in his early teens.

His parents would bring him out to our club on Wednesday evenings for some relaxation and practice rounds. Somehow I could see (as could the others there) that there was something special about this young boy. Ended up that this youngster who I loved to watch shoot became a friend who helped me on my way to being a better shooter, and although I don't see my friend Chris Vendel any more, I still look UP to him for his friendship, and all the guidance he gave me throughout the years.

My neck may get stiff from all that looking UP, but I just could not single out any one person, as there were many over the years.

entropy and targetsmoker thanked this.
  17. ganger

ganger Well-Known Member

I would have to say Bob Felber, George Chergosky, Scott Gens, and my friend Steve Nath. Steve was never a great shooter, but he loved the game and did more for our club the last 20 or so years than all the rest of us combined. And because of this so-called pandemic, we never got to go to his funeral. None of them taught me how to shoot, but they showed me how to be a good human.

RickN and SD Trap Family thanked this.
  18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My Dad--- even though I was a couple inches taller. He is the one that got me interested in hunting & shooting. While I never got very good he always complimented me.

19. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

20. MX15_shooter

MX15_shooter Active Member

I would have to say my dad for getting me started in the sport, the people at the local club for encouragement when I felt like quitting, and a few of the great shooters around the country that I’ve met, but the number one person I looked up too, wasn’t because they shot a lot of targets or was good at the sport. It was the women behind the scenes that gave up many things for me to be able to have a chance at being good at something, who was there on the good days when I won trophies, but more on the bad days when I was hard on myself because I didn’t do well, The women who drove miles and miles just so her son could shoot some little orange discs out of the air, and never once complained about it or showed that she didn’t want to do it. Sometimes it’s not about who is a good shooter, it’s about the time someone may invest in trying to make you succeed at anything you do, those are the true hero’s in my eyes.

Cowboy Rick thanked this.