Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I hope everyone is healthy and doing well! I wanted to find answers to a topic that relates a lot of shooters. Who do you look up to in the shooting world? Or, who inspired/still inspires you whenever you’re on the line or at a shoot watching? I have a long list of people who I look up to in the shooting world. People like my father, uncles, and top dogs that inspire many. I’m very interested in seeing what you all say. Thanks everybody!
See you soon,
-Chase Horton

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,671 Posts
Hey Chase, great question, and I think about it often.....

The single most important inspiration to me is my uncle in Illinois...... a few here met him at the Grand last year.

I used to drive to Vandalia in the late 80’s to watch him shoot, and I was overwhelmed with the experience in a very good way. I’ve watched him shoot many times before that, as well.

This is only my third year shooting Trap, and every time I step to the line, it’s his words I hear blended with my own pre-shot thoughts. I’m now a Life member of the ATA, and proud of that.

My uncle turned the corner into his 80’s, and that guy can shoot. He is a Ljutic man to the core. Many trophies have his name on the plaque.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The single most important inspiration to me is my uncle in Illinois...... a few here met him at the Grand last year.

I used to drive to Vandalia in the late 80’s to watch him shoot, and I was overwhelmed with the experience in a very good way. I’ve watched him shoot many times before that, as well.

This is only my third year shooting Trap, and every time I step to the line, it’s his words I hear blended with my own pre-shot thoughts. I’m now a Life member of the ATA, and proud of that.

My uncle turned the corner into his 80’s, and that guy can shoot. He is a Ljutic man to the core. Many trophies have his name on the plaque.

That’s awesome!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The first people that come to mind are the Bartholows. They have dedicated a lot of time to helping young shooters and are all true ambassadors of the sport. Foster and Matt are both dedicated champion shooters. Bud and Char are wonderful people. All their tireless efforts have immensely benefitted fellow trapshooters.

It is also important to recognize the dedication of the un-named state and local volunteers across the country that serve state and local clubs to run shoots, open clubs for practice, mow lawns, perform maintenance work and dedicate countless hours to help us enjoy our sport.

Great thread !

Jerry DeHondt

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was introduced to trap when my kids started shooting in the Arkansas Youth Shooting Sports Program about 6 years ago. Before that, I had only shot backyard clays and didnt even know anyone that shot trap. During one of the practices the head coach mentioned something about an opportunity for the kids to shoot in a local ATA event. I had no idea what that was! While trying to do some research on the ATA, google popped up something called Trapshooters.com. Long story short, my boys and I fell in love with trap shooting. Up until this point, I have only shot local ATA events. But, I told my wife, I have found the sport I will participate in as long as health allows.

The people that have inspired me are the people that have gone out of their way to help me and my kids in this game. One of the first was Bud Bartholow, he reached out to me early on by PM after reading a question I had posted in the youth section. He really helped talk me through being a Dad to kids that are shooting and how to make it a family sport. I still go back and read his words often! Phil Kiner, is another who has been so gracious with his time, both with PM's and phone conversations with issues I may have had with my own shooting or with kids on our team. Both of these men I have never met in person, but look forward to shaking their hand some day.

Then more locally, there are couple of guys in the Arkansas that I respect and look up too. Doyle Gaskin, and Woody Barnes, both men are great shooters and always willing to offer words of advice and encouragement. Doyle teaches a Trap 101 clinic that I have sent my kids to and recommend for all the kids on our team. Every kid that has taken his one day class, walk away smiling.

Then there are all the volunteers that go out of their way to pull of the local shoots, many of which give up their day of shooting to make it all happen.

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
I have many I look up to in our sport . I`ll just pick one . Larry Freeman from Plattsburg Missouri . Both on and off the Trap Field . A very nice and humble individual . He has shot a trainload of targets both ATA and club & practice .A very good shooter that is unfortunately starting to suffer the side effects of growing old (Sorry Larry ) . But still a tough competitor . He has always been humble enough that if you congratulated on a great win or very good score I think it actually embarrassed him a little . I am PROUD to call him a Friend . Wish there was more Larry`s in our sport & life .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never received any in person instruction from any of the top shooters out there. However I have watched all of the videos produced by top shooters past and present. I have watched the Frank Little, Ken Robertson,
Leo Harrison, Mitchell Loveless, Harlen Campbell and Phil Kiner videos. I have learned a lot from each video and my game has improved. If I had to pick my favorite and the one I look up to the most it would be Phil Kiner. His teachings have helped me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey everyone!
I hope everyone is healthy and doing well! I wanted to find answers to a topic that relates a lot of shooters. Who do you look up to in the shooting world? Or, who inspired/still inspires you whenever you’re on the line or at a shoot watching? I have a long list of people who I look up to in the shooting world. People like my father, uncles, and top dogs that inspire many. I’m very interested in seeing what you all say. Thanks everybody!
See you soon,
-Chase Horton
my wife likes watching you shoot! Oh and she likes the cowboy hat. I'll introduce us at the ohio state shoot when I see you. Suffdog

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hey everyone!
See you soon,
-Chase Horton

Vic Reinders, who won the Wisconsin state championship 47 times, and Ed Scherer, who set the standard in skeet, both in Wisconsin and elsewhere. They will always be two of the best who set the bar high for each game.

I had the opportunity to hunt crows on a couple of occasions with Ed. He made some of the most incredible shots I've ever witnessed. On top of that, he was a good guy to spend time with.

·
Registered
351 Posts

I had the great pleasure of meeting and shooting with Jaburg 1 's uncle at the Grand last year, I echo Jerry's post, a true gentleman and a great shot. Look forward to doing it again.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Two people made a tremendous impact on my shooting. I took a clinic from frank hoppe back in the ninety and it helped immensely. Any time I ran into him he was always quick to ask you how you were shooting and willing to help if you had problems. His coaching turned to friendship and I'm glad I had the chance to really get to know him.
Mike Jordan was another huge influence. I'd bet most people have met him if they shot Winchester ammo. He was one of their reps and shot industry for them for years. Mike is one of those guys, like frank, that would go out of his way to help. Ive shot with him for over 15 years and I don't think you'll find a more helpful or nicer guy. He and frank went out of their way to help anyone they could. Im proud to call both of them friends.

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
I also was on that squad at the Grand with Big Ed , Gussers ,Jburg1 , and his Uncle . This was my first time meeting Jburg1 and his Uncle . Both really nice fellows and the Uncle can really shoot . They made my Grand experience even MORE GRAND .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts