Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone name the top 10 or so "big dogs" in the sport right now? I'd like to do some comparisons but don't know who the individuals might be.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get Trap and Field so guess I'll have to look on the ATA site.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Nora Ross, Ray Stafford, Shawn Hawley, Richard Marshall, Phil Kiner, Kay Oyeh, Deborah Oyeh Nielsen , Britt Robinson, Joel Etchen, Cal Stinson, Stephanie Sandler, Daro Handy, Phil Ross, to name a few. Harlan Campbell is a prima- donna "big dog". This should get the party started.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There are a pile more than that, Matt and Fos Bartholow, Stu Welton, Travis Iksic, Jimmy Litz for just a few more western shooters, and as far as Rick mentioning "what day" I have seen him being a big dog at State Shoots. Scott
I dang near forget the Leadminer, he has a big dog, seems like it was white or yellow, not sure, but it was big……. :)

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Can't believe you didn't name Gary Bryant aka Dr.Longshot.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Matt, LMAO now that is a good one. I am going to get stoned for the next comment, but maybe he should let the self proclaimed Doc long sh$t back on as it did create a lot of entertainment…………I better run for cover now…..
Another Big Dog in his time and in the mid west is Mr. Denny Spurling. 1. for his trap accomplishments. 2. for his ability to entertain us and hells bells I have not even had the pleasure of hearing him sing yet! Scott

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
If you are speaking of 'current' Great Ones .... Harlan Campbell is like cash.

Cash (Harlan) may not be everything but it's way ahead of whatever/whomever is second place.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Long time ago, I heard a guy say:

"I'm not the best shot in the world, but when the three best shots in the world got together, the other two sent me out for Kool-Aid." ;)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, my comparisons aren't going to work as I actually need up to date pictures of these top shooters. The idea was generated while hanging around the club and there was a stack of Trap and Field magazines on a table. Most of them had photos of somebody on the cover and without fail every single one looked like BIG dogs. I mean morbidly obese and the conversation got started that to excel in ATA trap you had to be so fat that gun fit was easy and you'd never have any issues with recoil. You know, no neck, chest and shoulders like a side of beef, put on a golf shirt and the collar is against your ears, etc. So, the question was "are there any successful,champion level shooters who are within normal weight/height parameters?" Have to be some out there somewhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts