Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever used white lithium grease on your guns? If so, did you have good results? Any negatives? Thanks, Martinpicker

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I use it on my Browning XT and mt BT-99. Seems that it gets a little thin in the heat, but no ill effects I guess.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I use it on my Caesar Guerini and P/W 800+ with positive results We get up to 100º weather at our State Shoot and it has worked fine. I buy 1 lb cans at NAPA but any auto parts store will have it.

Like any other lubricant it needs to be cleaned off after every days use and replaced on your guns.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lubriplate's 105 engine building grease - very thin, but there's always some there at the end of the day. Keep it clean! When finished shooting, wipe it off and reapply.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I have a couple tubes of the 105 in my cabinet. I use it for many things, guns included. I have a wee grease gun that screws onto the tube. 105 is the nuts for outboard lower gears too.

A long time ago I had a friend rebuild a Ford Falcon engine, and he wiped the bearing shells with 105. When they fired the engine there was a problem with the oil pump and it ran for some time with no oil pressure.

They sold the car with 90K on the rebuilt engine.

I also love the Lubriplate Brake-Lube. Better than the lithium. I use it on break gun hinges, among other things. Mil-Tec is good stuff too.

HM

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have used it, plus all kinds of other greases. However today I use nothing but Rem-oil on everything! My train of thought is, grease in uses like gear lube where heat and or high rpm's are the norm. I use a light coat of oil, clean the gun after use and re-oil. I truly believe that this is the only lubrication needed for any firearm. Think about it!

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Lucas super tacky #2........just a dab will do ya. Plus it does NOT come off or get thin.....

One tube will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Sky,,,,,If a person applies the grease at the beginning of the shoot, wipes it clean after the shoot how big of a pile of contaminants will he get in an afternoon?

Before you ask I wipe the gun down with Rem oil at the end of the day to protect it till the next shoot.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used white lithium grease on my Browning XT for about a season of trapshooting. The only problem I noticed was it seemed like the screw-in Invector Plus choke tubes would be hard to remove after firing several rounds of trap on a hot day (I lubed the tubes with the lithium grease, as well as the action of the gun).

I was concerned that the choke tubes would eventually seize, so I quit using the lithium grease on them.

Other than that, it seemed to work just fine.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I used Lubriplate Engine Assembly grease...works great...used their products for 40 years farming...great stuff!
Ron Burr

·
Registered
111 Posts
Always used Lubriplate on the old M1 Garands in the Marines, ran smooth as silk. I still have one. I also use it on my 1911's.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I found lubriplate in a small 1.75 ounce toothpaste tube style container at the hardware store. Very convienient. A couple of tiny drops, shoot the weekend, and wipe it off before I put the gun in the safe. Seems to do the job fine.

I bought 3 tubes at least 5 years ago, I still have not opened two of them.

I do not think the type of lube on a break open gun is all that critical. As long as there is some lube there, and it is kept clean, the gun is protected. I have used a drop of motor oil off the end of the cars dipstick before in a pinch. Sounds crude, but it is better than no lube at all, especially on a stiff gun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Know this is a little off topic but I gave up oiling my target & hunting guns and now use Renaissance wax (synthetic wax, museum quality and developed in the UK) on all my gun metal surfaces. It can even be used on wood. It does not collect dust and all I have to do after shooting is wipe the metal down with a clean cloth. Never had a rust problem using it. A small can will last a long time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts