Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I shot The Arizona & Missouri State shoots last year. The President's letter in the Az program stated Arizona lowered their target price due to White Flier LOWERING target prices. When I entered at Mo. a few weeks later, I asked a delegate why their targets and fees were so high I was told because White Flier had INCREASED target prices. As good an excuse as he thought was needed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I Think we need a report from White Flyers on the price of targets. Everyplace I shot this year, the price of targets went up and their reason was "Our cost for targets went up this year". Who do you believe? I also notice the attendance at the ATA registered shoots went down this past summer. I think White Flyers is trying to keep the price of target low to be "shooter friendly" and the club just keep raising the target fees. Tom

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Joe, OR, how about those charging 8 or 9 bucks a round for practice?

When we get down to only larger clubs offering shoots and practice, I expect prices to go even higher!!

I have a lot of respect for White Flyer Targets attempting to keep down shooting costs. It's too bad larger clubs with bigger populations close by to draw from, a bottom line is more important? Smaller clubs (once ATAs lifeblood)are disappearing at an alarming rate also?

HAP

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Costs are costs and they have been going up a tick at a time for many reasons.

It's great if you shoot at a club who has zero utility costs because they're paid by some benefactor, who owns their land, has no property taxes, zero facility maintenance, 100% volunteer pulling & scoring, target loading, clean up and trash disposal; in other words zero costs. I know no such club.

When cost go up they must be passed through to the end user. Some businesses and clubs alike make the mistake of trying to hold prices in check when costs are rising to apease their customers and then find themselves in a pickle because they're forced to raise prices most times by a large percentage.

A club who raised a round by $0.50 when a case of targets were raised a $1.00 may have found other costs have risen to the point where a price increase was long over due based their on overall costs. Pricing is always based on costs.

Surfer

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I just checked with the distributor of White Flyer targets here and he told me that no increase has been announced as yet. He told me that everything is usually announced at the Shot Show. Bill Malcolm

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
I still shoot for 3 bucks a round at two places. I shoot at home for 2.25 a round.

One thing about some of the clubs I left was this. If its member run and people are active you shoot for near cost. If its ran by rifle or hand gun shooters of any kind its going to be high. Why? Because they think everything should be free except targets and there should be a profit made on them.

I quit one club that had a 600 dollar fee to join plus 200 a year. Its 4.50 for members and 5.50 for someone walking in off the street. Figure that up ......

I bought bio sporting clay all orange two weeks ago for 10.54 a box.....have no idea what others are going for. That was just a pallet price,

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Has anyone tried the Lawry targets. I shoot regularly at 3 local clubs, two throw White Flyer and one Lawry. The club throwing Lawry has almost zero breakage, the other two have a lot of breakage. These are clubs that throw Trap and Skeet with several fields each and the club that switched from White Flyer to Lawry has had no complaints from shooters. I like both targets but money is the bottom line and the Lawry target is quite a bit cheaper. Ty

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris

At $2.25 per round the club MAY be making 15 cents per round, so on 4 rounds the club makes 60 cents, and still has to pay for electricity and maint. on traps, if so someone else at the club is subsidizing the trapshooting.

@ $3.00 you can make it if almost everything is volunteer.

As of 12/6/2013 white flyer said they expected no price increase on targets.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I belong to two clubs, one throws White Flyers and one throws Lawry targets. Both have well maintained equipment, member volunteers handling the targets and virtually no breakage of targets. On occasion we do have a problem and it turns out to be a machine issue. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
"The club throwing Lawry has almost zero breakage, the other two have a lot of breakage."

Tell them all to switch to Champion and they will not only have zero breakage, but be able to re-use a lot of targets as well. ;-)

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Now that is funny Mr. Falfa. People are right about the breakage being a machine issue as both brands are a decent target. I am interested in who has tried the new Euro target. Their picture seems to show ridges on the dome where the throwing arm makes contact. More spin??

·
Registered
191 Posts
We recycle shot why not re cycle targets throw three hole Champion targets and really cut costs.

Fifteen two and a pair is four.

Bill

1 - 20 of 49 Posts