Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Apparently Joe, forum management does not share your opinion.

My post was pulled. I suspect they did not like White Flyer being associated with the KKK. Of course no one really thinks that there is any association what so ever, and everyone who viewed the post knows it was a joke. But if forum management feels the joke was in bad taste, so be it.

In this time of cancel culture it seems that even our forum is not immune. Are we to eliminate all posts that reference the history of our past if it might offend the far right or the far left, or worse yet, a corporation? I am not disputing the right of management to eliminate any and all posts, this is not a democracy. But it does make me wonder if I should submit my posts for approval prior to posting!

If I cannot poke fun at White Flyer regarding their name it sets a precedent that I am not comfortable with. How does this balance out with all of the posts that inundated this forum the past couple of years regarding Black Lives Matter? And if I made fun of say Perazzi and linked them to Mussolini would that post be pulled? And think of the uproar if I made fun of Krieghoff and mentioned the unsavory past of Germany and the Nazi's.

I know Robert Crow, the National Sales Mgr. for White Flyer Targets. He has visited with me at Eastern Hills Rod & Gun Club. He has an open invitation to hunt mature whitetail bucks with me on my property. We would also visit at the Cardinal while at the three major shoots. I know he would only laugh at the photo I posted. Robert is a first class guy!

This post is going to make forum management a little uncomfortable. And it should. I have somewhat thrown down a gauntlet. I have the utmost respect for the mod's and am very fond of George MT. This is not personal. I have to wonder what would happen if I worked up a photo showing a carton of targets labeled Black Flyer? Where is the line in the sand?

Perhaps my take on humor and sarcasm is just a touch too much for this forum.

If that is the case, I will take my leave.
This isn't an airport. You don't need to announce your departure.

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Some folks today are so sensitive its a shame. People and companies are so scared of the current cancel culture that they bend over backwards to try and not offend a single soul. But in reality that will never happen. They are just tilting at windmills. There will always be someone upset about something said or done whether valid or not. Is the world in a better place because of this wokeness? I think not.

·
Registered
26,299 Posts

My post was pulled. I suspect they did not like White Flyer being associated with the KKK. Of course no one really thinks that there is any association what so ever, and everyone who viewed the post knows it was a joke. But if forum management feels the joke was in bad taste, so be it.

In this time of cancel culture it seems that even our forum is not immune. Are we to eliminate all posts that reference the history of our past if it might offend the far right or the far left, or worse yet, a corporation? I am not disputing the right of management to eliminate any and all posts, this is not a democracy. But it does make me wonder if I should submit my posts for approval prior to posting!

If I cannot poke fun at White Flyer regarding their name it sets a precedent that I am not comfortable with. How does this balance out with all of the posts that inundated this forum the past couple of years regarding Black Lives Matter? And if I made fun of say Perazzi and linked them to Mussolini would that post be pulled? And think of the uproar if I made fun of Krieghoff and mentioned the unsavory past of Germany and the Nazi's.

I know Robert Crow, the National Sales Mgr. for White Flyer Targets. He has visited with me at Eastern Hills Rod & Gun Club. He has an open invitation to hunt mature whitetail bucks with me on my property. We would also visit at the Cardinal while at the three major shoots. I know he would only laugh at the photo I posted. Robert is a first class guy!

This post is going to make forum management a little uncomfortable. And it should. I have somewhat thrown down a gauntlet. I have the utmost respect for the mod's and am very fond of George MT. This is not personal. I have to wonder what would happen if I worked up a photo showing a carton of targets labeled Black Flyer? Where is the line in the sand?

Or posts being pulled for being “not necessary” even if true. It does tend to rankle. Perhaps the idea is to close people down?

·
5,821 Posts
I saw the post... White Flyer is a great company... a white hooded character was in bad taste, to gain a few laughs... or likes...

·
Administrator
8,933 Posts

Doc thanks for posting I appreciate your thoughts on this subject and I consider you a friend and of course you have my PM for ref. but I will address this on the open forum as I do many things here so that hopefully those reading with get a better idea of how some things need to be looked at from my end. The reason I say my end is that first and foremost I am a fellow trapshooter...been involved in all aspects of club management for going into 21 years from cleaning the bathroom to setting targets and most things in between. SO I am not some spring butt techy that is offended by attempts at humor either old school--new school or in between.
My self and the mod. team are not edit or censorship happy in anyway nor are we the PC police. Here are some things to look at in the case of the deleted post with the KKK character on the box.

1. We are all guests here even myself and the rest of the mod. team so we have to answer to site ownership for our actions here and keep in mind that ownership of this site is letting us have a great place to pretty much have a online club house and say and do a lot here without interference from anyone at VS so as a forum we get to buy sell trade firearms...talk and promote our sport....have a political section...have a off topic section and quite a bit of other misc. that comes along with having a forum and yes a really really good online club house.

2.In respect to White Flyer and the KKK guy on the box, sure many can see the humor in it and do not take as anything other than that. With that being said having something like that online the following can happen.
A. The artwork like that would more than likely not make some if not all in White Flyers marketing dept. very happy and being that we have recently had a price increase of in some areas depending on where you are at .60 a case we do not need to stoke a fire.

B. Thinks about this.....what if someone got a hold of that and really wanted to slam the forum and the clay target sports... along with White Flyer with that image out there it could be mis used. Sure many can poo poo my thoughts on this but I have seen it happen.

3.So being that KKK...BLM...ATIFA...Nazis...and all the other unsavory groups are things that sure we can discuss we really do not want them on products that we use or lets say associated with products that our vendors might be selling there are things that are better just not going there.

If you have questions send me a PM and I will be glad to address your issue as I really do not want to hijack this thread any more than it already has been.

George/Site admin.

·
Registered
767 Posts
"Blue Rock" was the brand name for the Remington targets. Contrary to what you may have heard, the BR's were easier to break and produced more smoke when centered than the WF targets of that era. The ATA would trade back and forth for the Grand to keep both manufacturers happy. I had stats to show that the BR years had higher scores and more 200 straights than the WF years over a 10 year period.

The specific shoot you mention was the 100th Grand (1999) and despite there being RULES on how to set the targets, the ATA President decided that they might have too many shootoffs with the expected 5000 shooters [the GAH did reach 5000!] with the normal target setting so directed the target-setting committee chairman, Dean Bright, to set the targets to 54 yards distance. That year the wind blew from the NORTH nearly the entire shoot, so you can imagine what that combination was like. After a few days, Dean quit because he was taking all the heat from shooters and had no control of the target-setting parameters. Scores were way down for the shoot and of course, the BR targets were blamed.

Remington Blue Rock targets were made in Findlay, Ohio and Ada, Oklahoma. For a few years back in the 60's they were also made in Athens, GA. What you 'heard' is actually the opposite. The Findlay target was more fragile than the Ada target and also more fragile than the WF targets; therefore it broke easier. Ask anyone who shot in Ohio in those days which target they preferred.

When the PAT Traps came along, the Findlay target could not be made to withstand the jostling and weight of stacking on those machines so then the WF took over the trap game and eventually the Remington management team decided to sell the business to Reagent Chemical, which is the parent company of White Flyer. It is the best target in the market today.

Scott Hanes
Thanks Scott for spelling Findlay correctly and all the correct facts. Glenn

21 - 37 of 37 Posts