Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The White Flyer Marketing Department had to get involved in the act.

They couldn’t leave all the action to the Sales Department with their aggressive and disruptive 2022 PRICE INCREASES

Font Badge Electric blue Circle Crest

·
Registered
148 Posts
How did the name white flyer originate, were the original clay targets white ?
It was from live pigeon shoots. A white pigeon would be released and difficult to see. They called those "white flyers".

I recently learned this on a shotgun sports usa podcast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I remember in the late 70’s having a hand trap and throwing white targets for my brothers to shoot. I can’t remember when the orange ones first appeared.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm thinking the "Blue Rocks" were made by Remington. I Know one year at the Grand they threw Remington targets instead of White Flyer and many folks were not happy. Supposedly the Remington target was hard as a brickbat. Maybe in the late 90's? I was there but can't remember exact year.

·
Premium Member
12,650 Posts
I'm thinking the "Blue Rocks" were made by Remington. I Know one year at the Grand they threw Remington targets instead of White Flyer and many folks were not happy. Supposedly the Remington target was hard as a brickbat. Maybe in the late 90's? I was there but can't remember exact year.
I always heard that Remington made their targets in two places: Lonoke, AR and Findley, OH. The ones made in Findley were supposedly much harder to break as these were the ones that they shipped to all the Walmarts, etc. The idea was that these targets were being constantly rehandled and if they were harder to break, they wouldn't receive so many customer complaints about broken targets in the boxes.

Reactions: BMWBOB

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great company making the best targets available
Indisputable ..., the best, but how are they managing materials cost? Just a straight pass thru? We were notified by letter of a 20% increase per case. That’s a problem.

What do the middle men distributors do? They store inventory , fulfill orders, reduce order taking for the manufacture site, coordinate the distribution out to the clubs. All good... but the 40% mark up fee receive for doing this is a problem.

Come on White Flyer... figure out a better way

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
"Blue Rock" was the brand name for the Remington targets. Contrary to what you may have heard, the BR's were easier to break and produced more smoke when centered than the WF targets of that era. The ATA would trade back and forth for the Grand to keep both manufacturers happy. I had stats to show that the BR years had higher scores and more 200 straights than the WF years over a 10 year period.

The specific shoot you mention was the 100th Grand (1999) and despite there being RULES on how to set the targets, the ATA President decided that they might have too many shootoffs with the expected 5000 shooters [the GAH did reach 5000!] with the normal target setting so directed the target-setting committee chairman, Dean Bright, to set the targets to 54 yards distance. That year the wind blew from the NORTH nearly the entire shoot, so you can imagine what that combination was like. After a few days, Dean quit because he was taking all the heat from shooters and had no control of the target-setting parameters. Scores were way down for the shoot and of course, the BR targets were blamed.

I always heard that Remington made their targets in two places: Lonoke, AR and Findley, OH. The ones made in Findley were supposedly much harder to break as these were the ones that they shipped to all the Walmarts, etc. The idea was that these targets were being constantly rehandled and if they were harder to break, they wouldn't receive so many customer complaints about broken targets in the boxes.
Remington Blue Rock targets were made in Findlay, Ohio and Ada, Oklahoma. For a few years back in the 60's they were also made in Athens, GA. What you 'heard' is actually the opposite. The Findlay target was more fragile than the Ada target and also more fragile than the WF targets; therefore it broke easier. Ask anyone who shot in Ohio in those days which target they preferred.

When the PAT Traps came along, the Findlay target could not be made to withstand the jostling and weight of stacking on those machines so then the WF took over the trap game and eventually the Remington management team decided to sell the business to Reagent Chemical, which is the parent company of White Flyer. It is the best target in the market today.

Scott Hanes

·
Well known trouble maker
3,619 Posts
Now that's funny. I don't care who you are!

Apparently Joe, forum management does not share your opinion.

My post was pulled. I suspect they did not like White Flyer being associated with the KKK. Of course no one really thinks that there is any association what so ever, and everyone who viewed the post knows it was a joke. But if forum management feels the joke was in bad taste, so be it.

In this time of cancel culture it seems that even our forum is not immune. Are we to eliminate all posts that reference the history of our past if it might offend the far right or the far left, or worse yet, a corporation? I am not disputing the right of management to eliminate any and all posts, this is not a democracy. But it does make me wonder if I should submit my posts for approval prior to posting!

If I cannot poke fun at White Flyer regarding their name it sets a precedent that I am not comfortable with. How does this balance out with all of the posts that inundated this forum the past couple of years regarding Black Lives Matter? And if I made fun of say Perazzi and linked them to Mussolini would that post be pulled? And think of the uproar if I made fun of Krieghoff and mentioned the unsavory past of Germany and the Nazi's.

I know Robert Crow, the National Sales Mgr. for White Flyer Targets. He has visited with me at Eastern Hills Rod & Gun Club. He has an open invitation to hunt mature whitetail bucks with me on my property. We would also visit at the Cardinal while at the three major shoots. I know he would only laugh at the photo I posted. Robert is a first class guy!

This post is going to make forum management a little uncomfortable. And it should. I have somewhat thrown down a gauntlet. I have the utmost respect for the mod's and am very fond of George MT. This is not personal. I have to wonder what would happen if I worked up a photo showing a carton of targets labeled Black Flyer? Where is the line in the sand?

Perhaps my take on humor and sarcasm is just a touch too much for this forum.

If that is the case, I will take my leave.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I purchase White Flyer targets, the middle man only handles the paper work. The targets are shipped direct from the factory. Don't know if its true or not, but I was told the middle man makes 50 cents per case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apparently Joe, forum management does not share your opinion.

My post was pulled. I suspect they did not like White Flyer being associated with the KKK. Of course no one really thinks that there is any association what so ever, and everyone who viewed the post knows it was a joke. But if forum management feels the joke was in bad taste, so be it.

In this time of cancel culture it seems that even our forum is not immune. Are we to eliminate all posts that reference the history of our past if it might offend the far right or the far left, or worse yet, a corporation? I am not disputing the right of management to eliminate any and all posts, this is not a democracy. But it does make me wonder if I should submit my posts for approval prior to posting!

If I cannot poke fun at White Flyer regarding their name it sets a precedent that I am not comfortable with. How does this balance out with all of the posts that inundated this forum the past couple of years regarding Black Lives Matter? And if I made fun of say Perazzi and linked them to Mussolini would that post be pulled? And think of the uproar if I made fun of Krieghoff and mentioned the unsavory past of Germany and the Nazi's.

I know Robert Crow, the National Sales Mgr. for White Flyer Targets. He has visited with me at Eastern Hills Rod & Gun Club. He has an open invitation to hunt mature whitetail bucks with me on my property. We would also visit at the Cardinal while at the three major shoots. I know he would only laugh at the photo I posted. Robert is a first class guy!

This post is going to make forum management a little uncomfortable. And it should. I have somewhat thrown down a gauntlet. I have the utmost respect for the mod's and am very fond of George MT. This is not personal. I have to wonder what would happen if I worked up a photo showing a carton of targets labeled Black Flyer? Where is the line in the sand?

Perhaps my take on humor and sarcasm is just a touch too much for this forum.

If that is the case, I will take my leave.

Sadly politically correct has brought us to this, suspect the name White Flyer itself will soon be declared racist. :cry:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts