Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just think how these guys would p*ss and moan if they had to contend with the kind of targets the ATA mandates??? Lordy!!!

New ABT rules introduced last year as follows:

Max distance, set with trap at zero degrees and 2m high at 10m in front of the trap house is 75m +/- 1m tolerance. Old rules 75m +/- 5m tolerance.
Min height 1.5m, max height 3.5m measured 10m in front of trap house. Old rules was with heights mentioned but with +/- 0.5m tolerance.
Max angle is 32.5 degrees +/- 2.5 degrees tolerance. Old rules 45 degrees.

The reason why the angles were bought back in, from what I've been told, was that grounds utilising a trench layout for ABT had difficulty throwing a 45 degree target at the maximum height as the clays kept hitting the trap house roof, or their supports.

I and other committed ABT shooters think the rules have now been dumbed down, fast and wide targets were good fun to shoot, and sorted the men from the boys. Now the +/- tolerances have been reduced, the targets thrown ought be more consistent everywhere. However, the way they're thrown by the different trap installations may lead shooters to think they're shooting big targets when in fact they're not. The speed the target leaving the throwing arm plays a big part in this, as does the light condition and how well individual shooter's eyes react to the stimulus of the moving clay.

Properly set ABT targets cannot replicate OT targets speeds, with the exception of the zero degree, 2m target which is measured at 75m for the former and 76m for the latter. All OT targets, whatever their height have this as their set distance with a tolerance +/- of 1m. If an ABT target is set correctly at the 2m height, then it is physically impossible for a 3.5m target to reach that distance, unless it is wind assisted.

In Italy the lower category shooters can shoot OT with 28gm cartridges. The higher categories, juniors and ladies have to shoot 24gm. To cater for the shooters with less ability DTL is gradually starting to make inroads over there.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I just wonder how they set targets to 75 meter plus or minus one meter. Our machines can't get that consistency at 2/3 the distance.

But those must be tough targets! I see that the English Open was won with a 192/200. Amazing to me!

Neil

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shot the ABT they had at Miramar. It was supposed to be easier than the bunker but it didn't seem that way to me. Seems like Dan Carlisle was the first man ever to run 200 on ABT. I could be wrong on that.

Killer game but I don't know if a setup even exists in the US anymore.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Setting targets to 76 meters plus or minus one is not a problem for our NASTA bunker traps. They have good accurate springs not crappy rubber bands.

T

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
From a UK site...

ABT squad consists of up to six shooters, only one target is take ay each stand before moving right to the next stand. Two shots are allowed at each target, and each shot counts equally. There are five stands, with a sixth position for the waiting shooter. ABT targets are faster and have a wider range of angles & heights than DTL (Down the Line) – and are thrown on random trajectories from a single trap in front of the center stand.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
TBaber-----Now there is a rule I wish the ATA would implement. If you have never had\seen a shooter slump over & fall while standing on the line you're lucky. Ross Puls

1 - 13 of 13 Posts