Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for those club operators/volunteers etc.

What are you doing at you local club for maintenance and or improvements while there is extended downtime.

Here is my basic list:

1. Re-do porch gun racks, new dowels and paint.

2.Detail clean inside traps.

3.clean tool shed.

4.Do maintenance on voice calls.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Working on better ladder system up to one of the 5 stand towers

Converting one trap to raisable roof (no more ducking to load the trap)

Clearing up branches and what not from the multiple wind events we've had

Should Check for damage from recent earthquake (small one and not frequent here, but age of buildings coupled with earthquakes not in mind during construction would be worth a look)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Oh the the work never ends. We got in a work detail just before all the shelter-in-place quarantine rules, so the pine needles and branches are under control.

Yesterday the club treasurer and I scrapped paint on the roof of trap houses. When it’s warm & dry enough we’ll rent a sprayer and paint the entire structures. (14 houses) I wonder if I’ll be able to find tyvek suits and masks????

We’ve got plans to move all the shooting benches under a pavilion where painting and maintenance can happen. The grass does NOT appear to be affected by the virus, and will still need to be cut.

The door jam on the storage building is repaired, cuz some jacka$$ (me) backed into it with a tractor. Thanks Scott H.

Many of the gun racks need attention, but I’d need to go get my table saw and a dado blade. Not sure I have the time to make this one happen.

Hopefully we’ll be lookin’ fine if/when we host the DE & NJ State Shoots!

·
Registered
582 Posts
We have a list of jobs posted on the Bb. Most are small stuff. Cleaning club and grounds, topping off birds in the houses and cleaning traps If supplies or equiptment is needed, a BOD member will come up.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
hunting the armadillos that destroyed my 2 skeet trap ranges lawns. 12ga buck shot will do it.

filling in road ruts.

picture a pallet of clays in your huge warehouse. now, guess where the one roof leak occured?
im buying tar jack and up the ladder i go.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,262 Posts
Filling up barrels with lead.

Well also working on the parking lot and then there's fixing the light pole that blew down last Saturday night in the high winds

Reactions: George MT.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not doing anything at the club it's -34 wind chill here this morning and we still have 2' of snow on the ground, the way the spring is going and this covid19 crap we'll start shooting about July this year, :127:

·
Registered
101 Posts
The troops are overhauling the club house. Painting the floor, walls, replacing the outside deck and stairs. I am overhauling the hydraulic pumps for the traps.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Should Check for damage from recent earthquake................
That's a good point and it reminds me that years ago we used to have a Great Britain Olympic skeet team selection shoot at a remote club in South Wales. Every time I got round to station 5 on one layout I always felt uncomfortable. The positions of the trap houses looked unfamiliar when standing on the pad. I brought this to the attention of the ground owner who claimed it was a figment of my imagination. Fortunately I wasn't the only one who had this uncomfortable feeling. One of my fellow competitors happened to be in the construction business and had some of his surveying tools with him. It didn't take long to establish the location of station 5 was nearly a couple of yards out of position. The next day this revelation was brought to the attention of the ground owner who tried to make light of it by claiming it was simply the result of cumulative earthquakes in the area :confused-65:.................true story!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Building two new gun racks, one completed, scraped the 8 existing tables and support steel, primed and gave them two coats of paint, built a new table for practice, cleaned a small movable table, primed and painted. repainted the 9 scoring stands steel and replaced with new wood, primed and painted. Installed new trap numbers/letter, old ones were getting shot up. replaced batteries on door locks. purchased a new display case and added casters.
Time to shoot :)

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a good point and it reminds me that years ago we used to have a Great Britain Olympic skeet team selection shoot at a remote club in South Wales. Every time I got round to station 5 on one layout I always felt uncomfortable. The positions of the trap houses looked unfamiliar when standing on the pad. I brought this to the attention of the ground owner who claimed it was a figment of my imagination. Fortunately I wasn't the only one who had this uncomfortable feeling. One of my fellow competitors happened to be in the construction business and had some of his surveying tools with him. It didn't take long to establish the location of station 5 was nearly a couple of yards out of position. The next day this revelation was brought to the attention of the ground owner who tried to make light of it by claiming it was simply the result of cumulative earthquakes in the area :confused-65:.................true story!
I was in my music store work shop when we had the earthquake the other day. Inventory was swinging on the walls and definitely got my attention.The center of that quake was in Idaho quite a distance away.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
We are a all volunteer ran club so organizing a group or even a couple of members to fix stuff would be in violation of states stay home stay safe order.
As board members we have taking it upon ourselves to do some things at the club. I for one have to do every thing I can to stay healthy because of the work I do, so I do every thing at the club by myself. Last Monday I did beer inventory so or distributor's could come and pick up beer as it would be over 30 days old and put money back in the bank for us this coming Monday a new skeet fence that will keep birds from flying across the trap field. Tried to get parking lot fixed but the contractor is booked.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts