Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be haveing some friends over during Christmas week to dine on the bounty of grouse and phesant that we took during the early part of the hunting season and was wondering what wine would go best with our wild game feast? Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
If you want to try something a bit unique might I suggest you look at Malbecs?

There are some spectacular ones out of S. America - I am looking at an Argentinian one right now - Rodolfo, but there are many good ones.

I think they are perhaps the best class of reds to serve with game - but that's just my opinion...

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Honestly I don't think you can beat a good beer with this kind of food - guess I am a real red neck. Ice cold pilsner ...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not sure with the grouse & pheasant, but Rodney Strong Merlot is some mighty fine and smooth wine, only problem with it is the bottles seem too small, LOL. Scott

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If you can get it, a nice local homemade wine is always good with wild game. I prefer a concord red.jmho Bill

·
Registered
969 Posts
I like a full bodied Red, Malbec, Merlot, Cab, Meritage, Cab Franc, Chianti, etc, etc.

I've never seen Pheasant or Grouse served with anything different from a medium to full bodied Red in Europe, for what that is worth.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
With game meats like that I would tend to a dry red wine such as a Merlot or Pinot Noir. The South Island of New Zealand produces some excellent Pinot Noir - Malbough region or even better is the Central Otago region.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.