which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle | Page 6 | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Diesel Smoke, Apr 17, 2013.

1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Well-Known Member

If you want to really see how the 1,000 crowd loves the 6.5 creed go and watch a long range shoot. Or look up the results of long range shoots. They only compete in factory rifle, not light or heavy gun. 6mm dominate the sport and they ain’t 6 creed either.

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

From 2013, then a couple in 2017 and now revived again!! But TS now has one less poster. Got him!

BDOG22 thanked this.
  3. tcast09

tcast09 Member

243/6mm most 1:10 twist barrels will handle both 55 grain screaming close to 4000 FPS for varmint and on the heavier side for deer.

4. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

You can say that again!

BDOG22 thanked this.
  5. Swampy16

Swampy16 Well-Known Member

I haven’t read any replies but for an all around tack driver the Savage 110 in 243 is a tuff one to beat. Adjustable trigger and stock. There’s almost nothing you need to do but buy the best scope you can afford. The 110 is an inexpensive rifle leaving room fo a good scope. I like Leupold. I have a 4-14x50. We don’t need to argue the capabilities of the 243 plus any little gun shop in the country will have ammo on the shelf.

6. MBA5

MBA5 Member

Actually I hunt deer with 2 ea .280 Rem bolt guns.......A 30/06 BAR.......A Marlin 30/30 levergun......A Marlin .444 levergun........A Marlin .35 Rem levergun......A .44 mag Wim levergun......A S&W 44 mag revolver...And a shotgun with buckshot when dog hunting. It would be very boring to have to hunt with the same gun all the time.
    All my rifles wear Leupold var-x III or Meopta scopes. All have 50mm objectives and duplex crosshairs for low light shooting.

OIF2 thanked this.
  7. pgithens

pgithens Member

I just saw this . . but I found a Savage Model 99 in .250 Savage at a local shop that would be perfect for this.

8. Col. Bat Guacamole

Col. Bat Guacamole Banned User Banned

9. Red Birds

Red Birds Well-Known Member

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use 243 and it’s great performance wise on both deer and yodel dogs
    That said..I have just bought a 6.5 PRC and figure it will be a bit less wind sensitive... for shots in places that have residences within 200yds I have a 17 WSM that devastates them .., good luck and the palatability of these things varys. ... personally I’d rather eat a Big Mac with extra cheese

11. KJH

KJH Member

12. gdoghunt

gdoghunt Active Member

I agree with halfmile, out to 600yds go with one of the 6.5 bullets.

13. Phoenix13

Phoenix13 Member

6.5 Grendel

14. Stephen R. Auchstetter

Stephen R. Auchstetter TS Member

Remington Model 700 in .243

15. Trap slayer

Trap slayer Member

25 06 Is a Good choice I’ve shot a lot of deer with that caliber. and what I like about using it for coyotes it seems to buck the wind being flatter than a lighter caliber good all around caliber to use

16. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Active Member

Another vote for 25.-06.

17. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Active Member

Well shoot fellas, I've already added a couple more rifles to the stable since this post was made a few years ago. The 11VT in .308 was a disappointment as some of you have read (if not, it shoots FEET to the right with factory ammo, but fine with one bullet and powder combo. Ended up killing a few deer and some other pests with it). Currently rocking a Savage 110 Storm in .270 (still playing around with loads for it, plus getting used to shooting a much lighter rifle). The kids have a 7mm-08 and a 6.5 Grendel, and to top it off I'm testing out a Savage 110BA in 300 win mag.

Smokey

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a great load that shot 1 holes in my 110g. PM me if you want details

Search tags for this page

243 is it best one rifle for coyotes to whitetail deer

will deer go near cayotes