which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum

which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Diesel Smoke, Apr 17, 2013.

1. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Remington 700 in 243 Win. It'll handle both deer and Coys. They can be had reasonably. I like Savages a lot in terms of accuracy but I've owned two and I had to give them away when I sold them. Another nice caliber that's hard to come by is 250 Savage.

Don't overthink your choice. It ain't rocket science.

2. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Active Member

"If you are mainly looking at it as a deer rifle that you will terminate the coyotes on occastion and not interested in saving fur, and are looking to be effecting at taking longer shots, 300 to 600 yards as indicated I presume at the coyotes???"
    Shrek, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I'm after.

My biggest concern with my old rifle, is I have NO clue as to the guns history before I bought it. My grandfather gave it to me years ago as a hunting rifle, and that's exactly what it's been used for since. I'm not exactly sure how many rounds it's had through it.

After looking around at some of the parts for my 7400, I may end up putting a Timney Trigger Fix in it, a more comfortable stock, good glass and a bi-pod on it, and experiment with different hand loads to see what it likes. I have seen this gun kill a 300lb whitetail just shy of 300yrds so it may have the potential to reach out there farther.

I am fond of the old gun, so if I can make it do what I want. I may go that route. Thanks again for all the advice and opinions guys. I still do plan on buying a new bolt rifle. But I do think I'm going to save more money up and buy a better quality rifle to start with.

Smokey

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

'Nother thing about trusting a rifle's accuracy.: Ever had a rifle that shoots good groups for maybe the first four, five shots, then consitently "throws one" big time out of the group? I don't mean due to operator error, but from a bench and with the use of a sandbag and/or bipod. A little heat, but not much, some barrels just do that..or the barrel is worn, etc.

I had a (Ruger in .22-250) rifle that did that. Made consistent and great three, four shot groups, but then would throw one..not only for me, but for other friends that tried the gun. A frend of mine puchased the gun for varminting use only. Missing a ground "gopher" no and then was not an important big deal...but would have or could have had consequences of inhumane kills on larger varmints such as a coyote etc.

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

270 Weatherby MAG

It will knock the snot of anything, from mouse to moose.

Plus, I like big cartridges.

It even works for ZOMBIES.

Kenny U

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x284Norma

6. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Smokey.........

The simplest and least expensive option for you would be to buy a coyote call and call those 500-yard coyotes into 100 to 200 yards (or less) and stay with what you have.

Besides, I am confident you would thoroughly enjoy the experience. I have.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with Neal!!

The best way, besides a lot of practice with any rifle, is to up-grade old Betsy with a high quality scope! That's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. To get the ultimate from yout deer rifle, a good quality scope will turn it into a better shooter as well as the shooter if he practices with it!

Hap

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh yeah, Hap is so right on. "Lesser" scopes lead to eyestrain, although they may work "ok"...eyestrain is not really conducive to a successful day in the field.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use my Rabbit in Distress tape and call them into my blind and choke them to death, The Fox pup call works the best with them whimpering, gotta grab-em quick, some times they get a hola me and I have to shoot-em w/my 22 derringer

Gary

10. Herb in Oregon

Herb in Oregon TS Member

When you get ready to buy a good rifle that will last you a lifetime, try a Tikka T-3 S/S. Sub - MOA,good adjustable trigger, 6lb. 3 oz.,like getting a $3000 custom shop rifle for $600. Caliber your choice, but if you get a .270 or .270WSM you can shoot elk with it too. Oh, forget the bi-pod. Get a light telescopic tri-pod, and shoot from the sitting position ( over the grass) for as far as you want to go (with plenty of practice, if you want to shoot long distance).

11. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Active Member

I got my Sterling stock from Boyd's today. I'm happy with it so far. Next on the list is a better scope. I'll post more pictures as the build goes

dieselsmoke_2009_190113.jpg

Smokey

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Smokey, under the now dead Dianne Fineswine gun ban, your clearly sporting Remington semi-auto would be an "assault weapon" because of the thumbhole stock and detachable magazine.

I'm glad this insanity has been stopped... for now. And shame on the anti-gun clowns here who advocated for the ban - take a good look at Smokey's gun, you fools. It is NOT an "assault weapon" but it would have been banned as one.

-----------------

As far as a duel purpose coyote/deer rifle, the cartridge most suited to this is the .243. It's a little hard on pelts, especially up close. It's similar to the 22-250 with some loads. It has enough bullet mass for cleanly taking deer.

The 25-06 will outperform the 243, but it is very hard on pelts. It's a coyote destroyer, not a fur taker. Let me assure you that at close range it can and will blow a coyote in two, and you risk getting "wet". But it is also very flat shooting with the lighter bullets. I have a 30" barrel and was wringing out an extra 200 fps. I did not have to hold off fur out to 300 yards. That's flat shooting.

The 25-06 will also take deer, but bullet selection is critical. Because of the velocity, it's tough to make a decent 25-06 bullet for deer. If you make one that expands well at 300+ yards it may blow up on the surface at close range. If you make one that holds together at close range for penetration, it may not expand at long range. Case in point... I shot a doe at a laser measured 364 yards. The bullet entered the chest right behind the front leg, went through all the guts, then exited the haunch on the other side. It never expanded. It was like a 1/4" drill was run through her. The 25-06 also has more blast and recoil than a 243, requires a longer action, and because of the case design it works better with longer barrels. If you want a shorter barrel, get a 243. And a 243 is easier on the barrel.

The 308 works well too if the gun is accurate. Use 130 grainers for coyotes at close to moderate ranges. The trajectory will not be as flat as the 243, so range judgment becomes more critical.

14. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Well-Known Member

Smokey,
    get a scope that has some better optics (I really like the Leopold, but the Redfield Line is getting good feedback at a lower price) and clean the bore with Montana Extreme bore cleaner and have at it.
    A good rest on a backpack, log or rock goes a long way in the field.
    I like to load varmit bullets in the 110 grain range in my 308 for fooling around.
    If you want to test it for long stuff see if you can seat the Berger Bullets to fit your mag and have at it with a 165 gr. out to the end of your sight range.....
    Very cool to take a rifle to the field with some history. I find it preferable to one that just came off the shelf, esp if family is involved.

Save all the original parts. And label them. Just in case.

Have a blast.

I cant believe no one suggested the 257 Roberts. The Ultimate new england all around cartridge. Wood Chuck to Whitetail. A family favorite in my house along with the 250 Savage.
    Bob

kehrby thanked this.
  15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I almost mentioned the 257 Roberts along with the 7mm-08, but deleted them from my thread. Why? Because of very limited ammo selection and often availability, at least in my area. Perhaps they've become regional cartridges, like the 35 Remington is considered a New England cartridge. Handloading changes the overall picture since the cases are readily available mail order.

16. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

I would have to say a good Savage 243 would be the best all around gun for varmint and deer hunting. Anything over a 243 would be a over kill for varmint hunting.

17. dtrap

dtrap Member

check the Remington 7mm-08.....great cartridge especially if you reload.

18. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I've used the .308 for over 40 yrs and it's never let me down, from steel targets out to 500 yds, Mule and Whitetail and Coyotes. I've got a couple of .280 rem that will perform just as well. I'd also clean the bore of your gun with Sweets 7.62 (follow the directions) and shoot from a bench for a few rounds. You may be pleasantly surprised. One more thing, the 308's I've owned did not like boat tail bullets, so I settled on Hornady 150 gr. spire pt with excellent results. Please let us know your results.
    Bill

19. burtona

burtona Member

Get a good SS 25 cal. barrel from Shilen, Lilja, etc. and have it chambered in 257 Roberts. If I could only have one rifle for everything I'd ever shoot it would be the 257 Roberts.
    Dave

20. digdug13

digdug13 Member

learn how to shoot the gun you have. i have rem 7600 in 30.06 i can reach out and touch them at 500 yards. you must shoot the gun to learn how. the 308 is a very good cal. if you can shoot it with that quit shooting. Doug

Search tags for this page

243 is it best one rifle for coyotes to whitetail deer

will deer go near cayotes