which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle | Page 2 | Trap Shooters Forum

which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Diesel Smoke, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

7mm. Rem. Mag., you ever watch the show, "When Animals Attack"?. I never leave the house without it.

2. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Active Member

This is some great info here. Now to answer the folks asking if I'm confident enough to shoot that far. I just started hunting at these places, I do not plan to buy a rifle, shoot it a few times, then start slinging lead way out there. I understand it takes lots of time/practice to get comfortable with those distances, but you have to start somewhere right? And it's mainly the coyotes that'll be the farther shots.

Thanks for the info so far guys

Smokey

3. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

It can be done. You are rite that we all started sometime & your not going to learn any younger. Your 308 or any of the other calibers mentioned will work. I shoot out to 1100 yards on steel. It's pretty awesome to hear that thing ring. We use pop bottles & milk jugs for hunting practice we set them out around the field and we walk around and use our shooting sticks and bipods to make it a realistic hunting scenario. Practice doping the wind. That's the hardest part of long range shooting.

4. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Well-Known Member

Smokey;

You say you don't trust your 7400 anymore and I have to ask why? My go to rifle out of all I own is a older model Rem. 760 in .270. After a-lot of careful handloading I found a load that will stay under an inch at 100 yard's. I have never had a problem shooting coyote out to 400 yard's with this combo.

Unless you just feel the need for a new gun, which is totally cool with me lol,why not just work up a load for your .308. It is still one of the finest long range cartridge's ever made. Just ask the marine sniper's.

Ken

5. shrek

shrek Well-Known Member

If you are mainly looking at it as a deer rifle that you will terminate the coyotes on occastion and not interested in saving fur, and are looking to be effecting at taking longer shots, 300 to 600 yards as indicated I presume at the coyotes???

A bolt action will probably be able to provide better accuracy.

I guess first you could try out your existing gun at those ranges and see how it does.

If it does not perform to your expectations, then I would go with a savage or Rem 700 bolt gun. 25-06 would be a nice choice. 100 grain nosler ballistic tips will kill deer, and will stomp a coyote, and should be reasonable flat shooting.

then you only have on load to deal with.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Smokey - I agree with Ken. Your .308 will do anything you need, unless the accuracy has deteriorated so much that you just can't shoot it accurately at any range anymore. If this is the case, you have to ask yourself why?

Is the barrel fouled? Carbon or copper? Or has it just had too many hot rounds through it, and is shot out?

Is your ammunition to blame, and why? Factory or handloads?

What has changed in your shooting style? Have you gained/lost a bunch of weight?

Any of the above reasons can be fixed, but maybe you just want a new rifle. To my mind, the best out-of-the-box rifle available today, purely for accuracy, is Savage. Factor in price, available calibers and features, and I don't think any other manufacturer can touch it. You say you will be shooting out to perhaps 650 yards. In that case, I would go with a .280-.30 caliber round, for retained energy at range, as well as ease of shooting (light recoil).

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Where is BIO? Is he on vacation?

8. vmeter

vmeter TS Member

The new 70's are very accurate rifles. Bell and carlson stocks, very good trigger,and the action is smooth as glass. Put a leupold on it and start shooting

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

.30-06. Why not, will do all a .308 will do and more. .308 is a round developed for the military; less case capacity, same bullets. .30-06 will handle a wider variety of bullet weights.

I dearly love my Sako .30-06; great long range varminter too with lightweight and special 125 grain Berger moly bullets.

If you are shooting smaller deer at close range, say under 50 yards, why not a .220 Swift?

10. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have a Sako 7MM STW and with the 140gr bullet and a quality scope you can shoot easily out to 500 yds but if you don't hit them right you can look right through the hole it makes. 243 is a pleasure to shoot and can handle both if you can get a good shot.

11. spcltrap90t

spcltrap90t Member

Model 700 Classic in 6.5x55

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I was thinking 243 for your needs.

13. thunder

thunder Well-Known Member

25/06 is best for what you want to do. I would also save lots of money and get Savage with accura-trigger, trigger means a lot at long range as does the glass and I would pick a Nikon scope.

Set yourself up to hand-load some very accurate rounds and practice. Nosler and Swift make fantastic bullet in the 100 to 117 grain.

I took lots of game with the 25-06 out to almost 500 yards and wished I never would of sold the one that I had built for me (had stock rifle bedded, great trigger job and good glass did the trick, with the right handloaded ammo). They are pleasant to shoot, flat shooting and very very accurate.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I guess I'm old school; I have a Sako in .243 that is a very nice gun for varminting. I also have a Remington in 6 mm (Remington?, it's been a while since I shot my rifles...) Anyway, prefer the 6 mm, but it is not as popular as the .243. Not really a problem if you handload.

Sako marketed the .243 Forester as a ladies' deer rifle as I recall. The 6 mm Remington is similiar, but has slightly more velocity potential.

6 mm has a bit more case capacity and the brass seems to hold up longer.

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Agree with 6mm over .243, but unfortunately, you won't find too many rifles chambered for the 6mm. By 6mm, I'm referring to rifles with 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist, not the 1 in 12.

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  16. eastcoastshooter

eastcoastshooter Member

I have the gun for you Tika / Sako 30/06 or 270. Both New, with Burris 3x9 scope. I have a older 270 Rem. 700 that really good with factory 130gr. and I have just loaded up some 90 gr speer's that shoot 3/4 inch groups at 150 yard,
    I know that the Tika would do that or better. Asking 800 each plus shipping just need your FFL number. Go to search look up tikia 30/06, my gun will come up.

17. eastcoastshooter

eastcoastshooter Member

F/S 30-06 TIKKA T3 LITE W/BURRIS SCOPE Look it up 270 is same thing. Still in box.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Reminds me of the time I suggested a friend buy a TRG series Sako for hunting. He got it in 7 mm mag. Another hunting friend critiqued the gun 'cause he couldn't empty all loaded cases via opening the floorplate below the magazine area. He sold the gun. I felt that was really a dumb move...he went back to some indifferently machined Browning rifle in 7 mm mag.

IMO, the TRG series was a great unknown "secret" in the Sako line, as I would imagine the Tika line reflects the same great value and quality.

19. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Colt LE901!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. shadow

shadow Well-Known Member

Check out the .240 Hot Tamale. A wildcat for sure,but all you are asking for and a LOT more. Expensive as hell to shoot and LOUD!!!!!! 500 yard shot on a deer is a walk in the park for these things.

Search tags for this page

243 is it best one rifle for coyotes to whitetail deer

will deer go near cayotes