Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into reloading a few months ago. Have a Mec Sizemaster. Got the hang of things pretty well and realize a progressive loader would move things along.
Was thinking about the 9000, but talking to one of the guys at the range the other day said, get a rcbs grand.
thoughts?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Get a Dillon SL-900. I've had most, and these are the best in my opinion. The Grand is cheaper but, has no shell hopper.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Been using a Mec Grabber ( 9000 without auto indexing) for 10 years without a single issue.

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
There is a variety of progressive reloaders to choose from and a wide range of prices. They are all different and each has its own set of issues. Popular choices are made by MEC, Hornady, Ponsness-Warren, Dillon, Spolar and RCBS. People will tell you to get what they have, but I won't do that. My suggestion is to browse the various makes and models and compare and contrast them and then come back here and start asking questions about the pros and cons of the ones that fit your budget and style. One bit of advice I will provide is to shop eBay and Craiglist for used ones. Bargains can be had, especially on Craigslist. I bought a used Hornady 366 in excellent condition from someone advertising on Craigslist for $75. I cleaned it up and turned it around for over $400. I also bought a PW 375 for a very fair price on eBay.

·
Registered
552 Posts
On a budget, a used 9000G,Mec goes through mine evry couple years but l live only minutes from the factory.....makes loading fun ....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a 9000 with automate, Hornady 366,and a p&w with hydraulics. My go to loader is the mec, followed by the 366. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Dillion sl 900 next. Everyone you talk to that has the Dillion have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My first question to you would be to ask how carefully do you check your shells as you reload? I like to check each shell as it comes out of the press so the 9000E did not work for me. I use it for spare parts to keep my Grabbers going. Ron

·
Registered
624 Posts
Opt for Spolar if you are doing volumn and going to continue this long term. Most expensive solution. PW 800plus for next level down and at base is mec 9000. They will all reload shells. Where you will see the difference is in the sub gauge loads- Spolar shines at 410- more adjusting as you go down the brands. There are others as well but those above I have lots of experience with. I use Spolar and once mine is set for the combo I am using- I never touch the settings

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was using a Ponsness Warren model 800 when I started having issues with it. PW wanted $100 just to have it sent to them to look to see what the problem was. I bought a MEC 9000G and totally love it. While not quite as heavily built as a PW, it has been totally reliable and loads shells that look like factory. I've had it over ten years and have not had one issue that wasn't my fault. Great reloader.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Since you have a size master now get a 9000 your powder bushings and hoppers etc. are interchangeable.

DGH

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll rate the progressives I've owned, and used, from worst to best.

9000G Easy to use but wore out way too soon. Best progressive for the less mechanically inclined.

366 Way better built than any 10 Mecs, but there was a learning curve on how to set up and run properly. 5 reloaders couldn't wear one out in their lifetime.

RCBS Grand Same learning curve as the the 366, but much better in execution. Quite a bit faster and smoother than the 366.

SL900 This is the Ferrari of the shotshell reloading world. Produces factory quality reloads at the speed of sound. Gotta pay attention when using one of these as it goes through reloading components in no time at all. Low powder sensor is a must. If you can set up/adjust a 366, then you'll have zero issues with a SL900.

I have no firsthand knowledge of a P&W or Spolar.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I use a MEC 9000G that has produced over 100,000 shells with no issues...... only minor adjustments and cleanings. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts