Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to change my powder choice from win super hdp to a cleaner burning low pressure powdre. tried 700x/american select flame out auto side port. 1oz load 1300 to 1250 fps.thanks to all that reply.i know powders are hard to come by currently hoping things will open up. jack

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
Using Titewad in an 1100, one ounce loads. Never saw flame, even at nignt. Your powders are too slow.

HM

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Cleaner burning and lower pressures typically don't go together. Is there some reason you are looking for lower pressures? And I'm surprised to hear you are getting dirt with WSH, 1 oz. and 1250-1300 fps. Data says your pressures should be high enough for a clean burn.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I was having same concern using WST for my 1oz loads. I recently was able to fined some Alliant Extra-Lite which has burn rate faster that Alliant e3. That cleaned mine right up

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
looking to change my powder choice from win super hdp to a cleaner burning low pressure powdre.
Winchester powder burns about as good as you can get. However not all load speeds are the best. Try a faster load? Or a different wad? Or a different primer? You will find that changing one component can raise your loads pressure. If you keep your 12 ga. load at 10,000 psi you will get your best and cleanest burns. However lower pressures might be needed to keep the flame's from coming out of your side port? So keep trying the same powder you have and just try different wad and primer combinations until your flame goes out!!! LOL I have never heard of anyone complaining about this problem before. Even though I have noticed the same problem, with some of the factory loads out of my 391 Auto. Its not a big deal. As I don't see it until after the target is breaking. So if you don't let it mess with your head? You'll be fine. Good Luck to Ya.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Winchester powder burns about as good as you can get. However not all load speeds are the best. Try a faster load? Or a different wad? Or a different primer? You will find that changing one component can raise your loads pressure. If you keep your 12 ga. load at 10,000 psi you will get your best and cleanest burns. However lower pressures might be needed to keep the flame's from coming out of your side port? So keep trying the same powder you have and just try different wad and primer combinations until your flame goes out!!! LOL I have never heard of anyone complaining about this problem before. Even though I have noticed the same problem, with some of the factory loads out of my 391 Auto. Its not a big deal. As I don't see it until after the target is breaking. So if you don't let it mess with your head? You'll be fine. Good Luck to Ya.
My sense of this is just the opposite. It's the lower pressure that causes that "flame out the side port" phenomenon. I'm having trouble articulating just why, but if the pressure is high enough, everything burns quickly and is gone by the time the bolt starts moving backward and there's nothing left to produce the flame out the side. Maybe that flame is caused by some of the residue igniting as the empty hull is ejected. The only time I've ever had that happen to me was when I used PB.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i only had flame from american select not WSH. currently loading 21.5 w209 win wad app1325fps

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
My sense of this is just the opposite.
Then change some of your components, and load some shells in the 10,000 psi range and see if that fixes your problem. A different primer and or wad may do the trick with the same powder your using now. Then again, you may need a new powder. I have no idea what components or load your using. But you get the point I am trying to make. If you get flames with a low pressure try a high. Or, Vice Versa!!!

I was getting some flames out my port on my 391 with some cheap Italian imports. The Experiancia brand to be exact. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Then change some of your components, and load some shells in the 10,000 psi range and see if that fixes your problem. A different primer and or wad may do the trick with the same powder your using now. Then again, you may need a new powder. I have no idea what components or load your using. But you get the point I am trying to make. If you get flames with a low pressure try a high. Or, Vice Versa!!!

I was getting some flames out my port on my 391 with some cheap Italian imports. The Experiancia brand to be exact. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff
I don't have the problem. My minimum starting point for a load is 9500 psi. My point is the OP will have trouble getting rid of the problem if he looks for lower pressure loads. And, all the targets I shoot at break, eventually.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have noticed that some primers seem to have the flash from the ejection port more than others. For me, Noble Sport is the culprit. I shoot mostly freak action guns but do have semi autos and I have noticed the flash many times. I'm guessing maybe NS primers are not as hot as others??? Or maybe I am just nuts but that is what I have noticed. Anyone else see primers differences? I bought 45,000 NS primers very cheaply and will be shooting them for a bit.
Colonel

·
Registered
320 Posts
I shoot a A400MT and load Green Dot. 19 grains, 1.125oz shot, cb1118, Cheddite primer, Rem hull. Once in a great while I get a flame. 1-2 times per thousand at best.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
My point is the OP will have trouble getting rid of the problem if he looks for lower pressure loads.
Sorry I mistook you for the OP. That's what happens when I flip around here so much.

I have noticed that some primers seem to have the flash from the ejection port more than others. For me, Noble Sport is the culprit.
That may very well be. When I saw the flames coming out my port it was on Italian made shells. The Nobel Sports and Experiencia brand of shells. I expect both use the Nobel Sport primer!!! I have no idea if high pressures or low pressures cause the flame. I have used O/U shotguns all my life. The 391 I just bought is the first auto I have ever owned. While, I really enjoy the reduced recoil. Their is nothing like shooting a good solid O/U shotgun!!! Both have there place. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Titegroup is great for what your looking for, I load it for 1oz loads and its the cleanest burning powder I've used.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I like Clays. With Clays and all the other powders I have tried the more pressure the cleaner the burn. Dirty is the price of low velocity.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
I have noticed that some primers seem to have the flash from the ejection port more than others. For me, Noble Sport is the culprit. I shoot mostly freak action guns but do have semi autos and I have noticed the flash many times. I'm guessing maybe NS primers are not as hot as others??? Or maybe I am just nuts but that is what I have noticed. Anyone else see primers differences? I bought 45,000 NS primers very cheaply and will be shooting them for a bit.
Colonel
So do I.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts