Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,996 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way - but I am WAY under-impressed by the scopes Nikon is turning out right now.

I have a stunning one on a Ruger M-77, but it is 25 ~ 30 years old (bought it over a Leupold because it was a better scope). The new stuff is junk.

Do this - set the focus for your eye at a specific distance - now look through the scope as you change the magnification - the focus will jump in and out. That just isn't good enough for me. Stumbled on this while I was looking for new binoculars (ended up with Steiners for LESS than the Nikons would have cost). You can actually feel the roughness in the mechanism as you turn it.

I'd point you to look at a Trijicon Rifle scope (Trijicon AccuPoint®) - I have three 2.5~10 X56 scopes on rifles and they are stunning (you might want a smaller version for your rifle). They can be had with mil-dot reticles and that will carry you to 300 yards and beyond.

A bit less $$ - I'd look at Konus - great value for the buck.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree with HSLDS on the newer Nikons.
I have an older 4x12 Monarch that is great, but the newer ones are not worth the price, IMO.
A scope I have been extremely impressed with is Sightron.
I have a 3x9 Sightron 2 with mil-dot recticle. It's the clearest and sharpest scope I have ever owned. Including Leupold, Nikon Monarch, Redfield ( the older 30+ year old indestuctable ones), Burris, and Tasco (That's a joke, Son).
A lot of good scope companies out there now.
It might help to know your price range.
Decent scopes go from around 200 to way up there.
For lower price, if you want Nikon, the P-223 might be a good one to look at.
For higher price, Trijicon, Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, Schmit and Bender.
Here is a link I found that has reviews of some tactical scopes.
I don't go into the "Sniper" thing. Too many idiots out there that thing they're tactical this, sniper that.
However, the reviews might help you decide.
Tactical Scope Reviews - Sniper Central
George

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
You want a good scope for the money? Buy a Mueller. I see lots of guys shooting benchrest using them. Especially, the 8X32. Good scopes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
IMG_0885.PNG

Vortex optics is the way to go. They have a no fault warranty. What does that mean? If you run over this scope with your truck Vortex will replace it no questions and no charge. The crossfire 2 $169 1" tube 2-7X 32
The second one to look at is the Vortex Diamondback $239 1" tube 2-8x32
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
A lot of good suggestions and scopes mentioned above, but do take a look at the Vortex. I recently purchased my second one and can't be happier. Cabela's had 200 dollars off their Viper HS LR .

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,996 Posts
Simple rule on optics - spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle.

$0 with at least a 40mm objective - 50 to 56 will serve you better in low light.

I can't count the times where I've seen a $1,000 rifle with a $100 scope and the shooter just can't figure why the rifle won't shoot.

That being said look at Trijicon (a bit $$), Konus, Shepherd.

Cheaper end look at Vortex & Mueller.

Two simple tests for a scope -

1) Pick a distant vertical line - gently move the scope left and right/up and down and observe how the image changes -a good scope will keep that line sharp and bright at all times.

2) Just at twilight look at something dark (under the lowest branches of a pine tree works perfectly) - does the scope intensify the image, or is it darker than with the naked eye?
I quote myself from another thread...

Not trying to take away from Leupold, or others - just giving some other thoughts on the process.

Go for larger tube diameter (i.e., 30 mm not 1 inch).

The larger the objective the better for light gathering...

Reactions: PatMiles

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I like My L scopes. A lot.
But my buddy just built a Savage 308 Winchester with a SWFA classic 10x fixed tactical.
Deadly out past 500yds. Very nice view thru it on a hot summer day
I make wind calls for him using a 60x spotter and he drilled a 2 inch tape square on a 12 inch round steel gong this Aug at our max range 500 berm.
Price is very reasonable

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a 3 power Nikon on my M&P AR 5.56 and it works good out to 150yds or so. That said I've got a Night Force 3/9 in my future for long range work.

Crew Chief

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have been to Alaska with my VX1 very old L scope and it still gathered more light at dark than my hunting partners Nikon top end scope with 30 mm tube ! Two years later he made the switch to the L scopes ! Up there as long as you can see the crosshair shooting is legal ,we hunted by moonlight when it was not hiding behind the rain clouds many nights!

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I switched from Leupold to Trijicon a few years ago and am very happy with that move.
Have never been impressed with the Nikon other than for .22's, do not know about the Vortex.
Surely you know some people at the gun range that have different scopes, see if they will let you take a look at them.
I agree you probably need to spend more on the scope than you did on the rifle.
My 2 cents but decision is ultimately yours, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Thanks for the input. Thinking now about a Vortex adjustable up to about a 12 or 14x.
The next thing you need to figure out is what reticle you want.

Although the idea of a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) reticle sounds nice, I wouldn't choose one. I'd opt for a more versatile reticle like either the Vortex EBR-1 or EBR-2C.

The PST 4-16x 50 has the EBR-1 reticle in either MOA or mRad.

This is what the subtensions for the mRad version indicate:

Then you need to decide whether to go first focal plane (FFP) or second (SFP).

The FFP version is about $200 more than the SFP version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts