Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a debate with a couple of guys who happen to be on the board of a local club. So Doug and Gary if you're reading this, this is for additional conversation.

Which is the best route to set targets? Pro's and con's? A radar gun or setting height and measuring distance?

Me, I'm for setting the height and using a radar gun. My opinion is everything would be more consistent from day to day shooting.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One argument I'm hearing is if you set the height and use a radar gun and its windy you won't get 50 yards distance.

I should have stated that this is a 2 trap club so time isn't a factor.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
That's why you use the radar gun. You cannot set an accurate distances in the wind. Anyone who believes that you can has some serious issues!!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Unless ALL of the actual trap throwers at a club are identical in height, and set in the house the same distance forward/back, using the stick for height is nothing more than neanderthal target setting.

In calm wind, if a radar gun is used to set speed, and a digital level is used to set height, you will see the same arch, the same target presentation, from each trap, regardless of varying trap installations. That is not possible with a stick, unless the pedestal the stick is sitting on takes into consideration that particular trap installation that varies from the others.

Chances are, installations will vary. Pedestals in freeze/thaw country, pedestals that are run over with the big mower, may change in height. Others not.

Take a hack saw to the stick, use a digital level, and never look back.

The final setting is reviewed by an experienced target setter.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Use the radar gun for consistent speed. The old "50 yards over level ground in still air" is just an outmoded and imprecise method of setting speed before radar guns became available. As long as the targets are launched at a consistent speed who CARES how far they fly, I'm not planning to let them go that far.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yeah Rick, some days the way the wind blows in Montana the only way you'd get the targets to the 50 yard stake would be to haul 'em out there in a wheelbarrow.

·
Registered
20,210 Posts
Go to the above website and read up on the subject. There is some very good information there and the ATA uses pretty much the same specs ( This is Neil Winston's fine work ).

Don T

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Setting targets in a very strong head or tail wind is impossible while trying to maintain book speeds. It takes a special target setter to set targets under those circumstances so that shooters at least have a chance of a decent score.

HAP

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Here's a great little radar gun for small clubs. Check out the link above...

Using this gun and a T- Bar for elevation anyone can set good targets. Like Hap says above...it does take a bit more experience to set good targets in windy conditions.

Thanks,

Bob Schultz - Target Shotguns Inc.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
For the bigger clubs and trap associations, the Stalker gun is the best in class! We have them in Stock ready to ship.

Check out on the link above...

Thanks,

Bob Schultz -Target Shotguns Inc.

800-684-6329

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Give Bob Schultz a call at Target Shotguns. Great guy to deal with and he is knowledgeable. I bought a pocket radar from him and it does work great. The club has a stalker and pro speed guns and they both work great. I have used my pocket radar right next to the two larger guns and it is accurate.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hesitate to enter into this discussion. There is no way to win.
If you use a radar gun and launch into a headwind or tailwind, as soon as the wind changes direction or dies down the bird's flight changes. Any method must take into account conditions of the moment.
At my Club we have a stake at 50 yards. I have found that setting the table at 22 1/2 degrees and setting the flight distance at 50 yards in still air gives a target that does not draw any complaints. Doubles at 24 degrees and 8/10 cranks on the spring. Do not set the machine when anybody is watching or you will have to deal with their input. And, as this thread demonstrates, everyone has a different opinion and has to put their 10 cents in.
I use a Craftsman magnetic base, angle indicator. Ten dollars. And it is off by 1 1/2 degrees. The digital level at $30 might be better.
Try to set in still air to get a baseline. Adjust for conditions from there.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Set the target speed with the radar gun then set elevation with the hoop/T bar. Then be prepared to adjust the elevation as wind conditions change. Forget about the 50 yard marker.

We bought our radar gun from Bob Schultz, great piece of equipment that has served us well for many seasons. That's the guy you want to deal with on this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts