Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy some extended choke tubes and I'm wondering which ones are better? Briley - Trulock - Carlson's???? They will be going in a invector plus barrel. Thanks Huntinandhotrods

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
There's must be a reason that Briley is the largest maker of shotgun chokes. I love my full set and then some, of Midas grade ext. chokes. These are the not the most expensive anymore and a real value. Break-em all. Jeff

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There is a reason Briley is the largest maker of chokes...advertising; that and the fact that shooters will believe it's better if you tell them it is AND charge more than your competition.

Buy the Trulocks or the Carlsons; they don't cost as much and they will do exactly the same thing for you. Great people, too. I had all three and sold the Brileys. They weren't any better and I payed more so I could get a higher price for them. There isn't enough difference among the 3 to even consider worrying about.

Got a Wrights's choke on a whim; ain't worth a tinker's damn.

MK

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
You left Sru Wright out of the mix.. and Clearview Chokes... Both excellent chokes... BUT.. only your barrel will tell you which one it likes the best.. They are all good...but once you hit the pattern board..quite a few will be similar.. and one or two will stand out.. Problem is.. most of the time.. a different choke wins..all depending on what you are looking for..

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have used all of the above.

My BT99 has a Trulock in it and it patterns as well as anyone could want. I was looking for something not so pricey and it fit the bill plus worked perfectly.

My Beretta O/U & Remington 1100 both have Brileys. They too throw even patterns from those guns.

My P-gun has Wrights. I love the way they look. They shoot perfectly too.

I don't think I'd change any of them out for another.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I never thought much of screw in chokes until I got my Pro3. Ljutic has Briley chokes installed as a factory option (standard on Pro3). On paper these chokes will pattern beautifully, great distribution of shot with very few fliers. I have never patterned a fixed choke gun that looked as good. .020" will reduce a singles target to dust as will a .030 or .035 from the 27yd line.

I had Wright chokes installed in a TM-1. Ruined a perfectly good barrel. I'm hoping Briley can salvage it. Marc

·
Registered
792 Posts
Trulock has been great for me. Good prices, and the chokes are true to markings. I have had Briley's that were a full choke size different than they were marked.

Plus the the people @ Trulock are a pleasure to work with.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
FYI I have several sets of hi priced chokes for sporting and changing them was a pain. I got a Truglo adjustable from ACSS on line here and patterned it along side the higher priced spread and there was no difference I could see. Went out and shot my best Sporting round ever with the twist and go adjustable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.