Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a small "gun conundrum".
As I've posted elsewhere, I've been shooting my BT-99 for a couple of years now. It has a moneymaker adjustable rib as well as a Browning adjustable comb.

My other trap gun is a Gamba Edinburgh. I shoot the BT for its durability. I actually shoot the Gamba a little bit better, but its old, and when it breaks, you cannot get parts. Last time an ejector broke I had to have it micro-welded. I've been shooting a lot of ATA, and I don't want to drive two hours just to have my gun break. The BT is a bit barrel heavy. Still...I shoot it OK...I just shoot the Gamba better. It's lighter and a bit livelier barrel. So...my options...

1. Shut up and just learn to shoot the BT
2. Shoot the Gamba until it breaks and see what it takes to fix it
3. Buy a backup Edinburg (they are around and they don't cost much)
3. Find something else a bit more lively than the BT. Maybe a 725?

There are no wrong answers here...just interested in what others thought. Spending $4-10k on a new P, Z or K gun isn't in the cards. We just had our state shoot, so now is the time to make any switches or purchases!

Thanks All!
Trail

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Give up on the Gamba (your assessment of it is correct) and find something else. Shooting the BT-99 is the other option. Interestingly, you state the BT-99 does not have swing dynamics that are lively enough for you, while many BT-99 shooters yearn for a SBT that swings a bit smoother. If you decide on the "find something else" route be certain to shoot it a bit to determine if it is the right gun for fit and swing characteristics. Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would shoot the bt personally. You could add a Mercury recoil reducer to the stock to balance the weight. Usually trap guns are heavier for reduced recoil and smooth movement to the target.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,698 Posts
If you add weight to the stock of your BT it may make it seem/feel a little lighter in the barrel and improve swing dynamics.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think adding the aftermarket rib (previous owner) is what made it barrel heavy.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,698 Posts
Could be, I had a moneymaker on my old BT but never noticed it (weight wise). Whats the gun weigh now and is it balanced?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'd shoot the Gamba personally. If it breaks it breaks but its not likely to break next time out. Your problem is the Bt99 and the Gamba are balanced much differently;the Gamba having the livelier feel for you since it is not as barrel heavy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It is time for a road trip. To the Grand or Tucson for a big shoot. Try many gun, find one that you like. Buy it and shoot more.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Take the measurements of the gun you shoot the best.....get the BT99 to those measurements.....shoot often...don't look back!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Forgot to add, ignor the advice to buy x gun or y gun. Odds are strong they won't fit you a bit better an thus not alleviate the problem. You shoot best when the gun fits you!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I've tried at least 10 different guns during my 12 years of Trap. Recently started shooting a DeVault Infinity. Most comfortable gun I ever used. It is also very reliable. Shooting it well and had my second 100 straight about 3 weeks ago. My Browning XT is my doubles gun and backup since it also works well for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts