Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another thread that discussed a hull bucking issue I'm having with Blue Duster wads and it looks like the likely cause is a stack height issue. There were some recommendations on which Downrange wads could be used to reduce the stack height but Claybusters are easier for me to get so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which one I should get. Looking for a AA replacement. Apologies if this information is readily available somewhere, I looked on the Claybuster website and it wasn't obvious to me.

· Registered
13,517 Posts
OK, from what I understand. You need the DRA-12 wad (bright red in color) from downrange manufacturing. This is the slightly shorter wad for reloading a 1 1/8 oz. load in a AA hull with a bulky powder. The DR118 is the normal length wad for a 1 1/8 oz. load in a STS type hull, or the older compression formed AA hulls.
Now if you use a dense powder like Winchesters super-handicap, or WIn.'s Super-target powders. You should use a standard length wad in the Win. AA-HS hull. So you would need the DR118 wad with the denser powders. If I'm wrong? I'm sure someone here on TS.com will set me strait. I have not reloaded any shells with downrange wads. So I'm going by what my memory has picked up here on TS.com. Not from actual experience. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all jeff

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, from what I understand. You need the DRA-12 wad (bright red in color) from downrange manufacturing. This is the slightly shorter wad for reloading a 1 1/8 oz. load in a AA hull with a bulky powder. The DR118 is the normal length wad for a 1 1/8 oz. load in a STS type hull, or the older compression formed AA hulls.
Now if you use a dense powder like Winchesters super-handicap, or WIn.'s Super-target powders. You should use a standard length wad in the Win. AA-HS hull. So you would need the DR118 wad with the denser powders. If I'm wrong? I'm sure someone here on TS.com will set me strait. I have not reloaded any shells with downrange wads. So I'm going by what my memory has picked up here on TS.com. Not from actual experience. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all jeff
Any idea what the claybuster equivalent to the DRA-12 is?

· Registered
13,517 Posts
Any idea what the claybuster equivalent to the DRA-12 is?
Claybuster only makes the normal length wad!!!! So they have no shorter wad to use with a bulky powder. If you want to use a CB-wad of any kind, you need to use a Winchester powder. You have no choice in the matter. You need to use a Mec powder bushing #30 or less to use a Claybuster or any normal length wad in a AA-HS hull. If you use a #31 bushing for your powder, your stack height will be too high!!! So now that you know the bushing number, you might be able to find some other dense powders you can use to get a good stack height with a normal CB wad. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

Dang, I wish I knew how to turn off the underline feature I turned on by accident!!!!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claybuster only makes the normal length wad!!!! So they have no shorter wad to use with a bulky powder. If you want to use a CB-wad of any kind, you need to use a Winchester powder. You have no choice in the matter. You need to use a Mec powder bushing #30 or less to use a Claybuster or any normal length wad in a AA-HS hull. If you use a #31 bushing for your powder, your stack height will be too high!!! So now that you know the bushing number, you might be able to find some other dense powders you can use to get a good stack height with a normal CB wad. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

Dang, I wish I knew how to turn off the underline feature I turned on by accident!!!!
Thanks for the info, that answers my question about the Claybusters. I am using a Winchester powder though, 20 grains of super target.

· Registered
13,517 Posts
So you should be fine with your #28 or #29 mec powder bushing!!! You should have no problems getting a good crimp with your powder and a claybuster wad. Good Luck to Ya. Don't forget to use a good scale.

Lower your wad Ram until you get a 20 lb. reading on the dial, if you need to. break em all jeff

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you should be fine with your #28 or #29 mec powder bushing!!! You should have no problems getting a good crimp with your powder and a claybuster wad. Good Luck to Ya. Don't forget to use a good scale.

Lower your wad Ram until you get a 20 lb. reading on the dial, if you need to. break em all jeff
I'm using a Ponsness Warren, might not have the buckling on the Mec but powder charge would be the same. Using an RCBS scale.

· Registered
66 Posts
I load thousands of Winchester HS hulls with 1 oz of shot and bulky powders, and yes with claybuster their 1 oz version can be too tight of a fit. The simple solution is to use an 1 1/8 version wad and the fit is perfect.

· Registered
117 Posts
I load thousands of Winchester HS hulls with 1 oz of shot and bulky powders, and yes with claybuster their 1 oz version can be too tight of a fit. The simple solution is to use an 1 1/8 version wad and the fit is perfect.
This is the way ,

If your using a bulky powder that's making the stack to high go up a wad size to lower the cup(stack) hight
If your using really dense powder that making the stack too low go down a wad size to raise the cup(stack) hight

· Premium Member
607 Posts
Using AA HS hulls and 20 grains of Winchester Super Target. Never measured top edge of hull to top of the stack.
I am doing a very similar load, 19gr of WST in Remington hulls with CB8118-12 wads. If you look at the load data for WST on Hodgdon.com, you will see various loads in 19 or 20 grain range using either WAA12 or Rem Fig 8 for both Winchester hulls and Remington hulls. The Winchester data is below but you can look at the Rem data also. It is very similar.

CB1118-12 is the CB equivalent of WAA12
CB8118-12 is the CB equivalent of Rem Fig 8. This is what I have been using and they stack and fit fine.

Have you tried either of those? I have Winchester hulls but have not tried loading them yet since I am still working on my Rem hulls but I would imagine either of those two wads would work.

The load data also lists loads for 12S3 wads which are technically a wad for straight hulls and also Windjammer wads in the 20 gr range. Both of those also have CB versions: CB2118-12 and CB4118-12 respectively. So you have at least four choices.

I mentioned measuring the stack to edge distance because I have found that if it is about .4 inches, I can get decent crimps. Its a quick way to see if you are in the right ball park with stack up. Keep in mind that most of these wads compress during the crimp. This was very clear to see when I was loading clear Cheddite hulls. So it is better for the stack to be a little high than low. The wad will compensate during the crimp.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Maybe it's time you DO measure stack height, at least for future reference. Then you'll know if something has to be changed. All I use is CBer wads in 12, 20, 28, and 410 shells and have never used Win powders. Never had a problem with stack height that couldn't be fixed with a wad change. I once called CBers and ask if changing wads would hurt anything. I was told if I'm just changing from one of their wads to another for stack height, and the same base is used, then everything would be good to go. All you're changing is cushion height. I was using 1 3/8 wads [ CB12-0138 ] in 2 1/2" shells with 1oz of shot to get proper stack height. Worked great.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't like to compress the stack heigth. That wad will want to straighten back out and sometimes open the crimp up. I just adjust the start and final crimp to make up slight differences. If the center of the crimp is down in lower than the outside where it rolls over it will want to lock itself in place and not come loos. That's another big reason not to compress stack height. JMHO

· Registered
7,113 Posts
I use Hodgdon Tightwad powder, waa12 or clone wad, 1.125 ounces of shot in AAHS hull. However, I believe the OP is hoping a better wad can be found for the powder he already has. Search for Tightwad and the downrange wad made for the AAHS hull, and buy whichever you can get first. If it is NOT a stack height issue, it is probably the final resize die causing the buckling.

I will very soon be switching over from Remington STS hulls to my AAHS hulls, because I am nearly out of my favorite powder for the STS hulls, but I kept running into tightwad powder for sale and now have plenty. It is good to have diverse recipes, so your likelihood of finding components during times of scarcity goes up.

· Registered
182 Posts
I load 1oz loads with a CB8100 (Rem TGT style) green wad, 1.125oz loads w/ either a CB8118 (Remington fig. 8 type) or mostly the CB0118 or CB1118 (AA style--same wad different color-orange for the 0118 & white for the 1118. The 0118 used to have a cheaper resin---not anymore). All with Titewad in STS or AA-HS hulls. The CB8100, 0118, & 1118 all have lead-in base taper for both hull types. While the CB8118 & their CB4118 Windjammer type do not have lead-in taper. I have loaded the non-taper types into STS hulls no problem but the AA-HS can catch on the base occasionally in my experience. Powder charges vary from 16.6-17.4 and crimp perfect. I've also had good luck w/ 10z loads using the CB1100 (AA12SL replacement). Pic of a few of them. Don't have all of them as pics.
Material property Tints and shades Magenta Cosmetics Liquid
Hope this helps

· Premium Member
143 Posts
When did DRA-12 change to a bright red color???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.