Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which caliber is best for coyotes? In my area most shots will be under 200 yards, if that makes a difference. Thanks for your input.

Eddie

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Preventing damage to the hide is usually desired by some hunters who sell them. .223 is usually sufficient unless you are consistently attempting shots beyond 300 yards.

22-250 is great if you need more range. I agree with Calvin.

bullet choice will be important here.

HM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calvin,
Thanks for the quick response! Two minutes is quick. Was thinking about 22-250 or 25-06. I hadn't thought about something as common as .223.

Eddie

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
I use 22-250 on groundhogs,...with the 55gr TNT bullets at max velocity...the results at 300 and closer are very nasty...223 is not neary as destructive...happy hunting

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Or...a little Remington Mohawk 600 if you can find one in .222. I shot a big 'yote in my backyard...and...shhh, this may be fiction, but he was in my backyard whre I live about three miles from downtown Los Angeles. LOL...but a true figment in my imagination or maybe not. Anyway, the .222 in a small gun is a great walking around gun and caliber and allegedly more accurate than the .223.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have tried several over the years. The 17 HMR is woefully inadequate. The 22WMR is probably o.k. to 100 yards if you can hit the head/heart but I think it is marginal. I use either a .222 Rem (Savage 24V) with 55gr spitzers and a 3" 20ga with #4 copper if they sneak up on me, a .223 Contender carbine or a 77 Ruger .243. The .243 blows a big hole out the far side so it isn't for pelt hunters. I like solids in the .223.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My favorite? A .17 Tactical. There is a;lso a .20 Tactical, both developed by Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den. Google Woodchuck Den and catch the small caliber fever! They're great shooters! Quicky

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have taken many with the Swift. Longest 533 yards shortest 10 feet.

Bullet is 52 grain Calhoon double hollowpoint. Seldom if ever exits very minnimal pelt damage.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
300 Win. mag with 165 gr Nosler Balistic Tips @ 2,850 fps works for me from the tree stand.Deer,Coyotes,Bobcats.The results are the same...KS-OKIE.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.