Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
God does it ever stop. Stupid thread after stupid thread. What a DA, I am surprised he didn't tell you not to respond.

Don

·
Registered
909 Posts
32" cause that's what I shoot.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Have a custom-made Briley barrel extension and extended choke tube that makes the total length of my gun barrel 48 inches.

The choke itself has 0.060 inches of constriction.

Think that qualifies as a Full choke.

Can't say that it improves scores yet, but it does make things quiet.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Which way is the wind blowing?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would say that 30" dominates the gun rack except at skeet shoots.

When I first started trap and pigeons it was 30" and 28" respectively, then more trap shooters went up in length (barrels only) and for pigeons it started splitting 28 and 30 and 32 about equally. Sporting seems more 30/32, Bunker 30/32 and even skeet shooters are drifting from 28" to 30".

·
Registered
987 Posts
Al Ljutic told me 33 inch barrels was the optimal barrel length based on the harmonics of the steel he was using to make the barrels.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I've serously tested a lot of barrels including a 33-inch one. No particular length in the 30- to 34-inch range has stood out. It seems impossible to me that in the vast range of barrel stiffnesses just in my gun safe, from light 303 tubes to my new 18.4 mm TM-9X which is the toughest barrel I've ever encountered (I may have killed that tree!) , that some overriding single number would cover the "harmonics" of all of them. What about those Berettas with the big stiffening rib below the singles. Doesn't that change things?

It was the second-tier Ljutic X73 which had the 33-inch barrel and the top-of-the-line Monogun which had the 34's and Al always said they shot the same, as mine seemed to, and I had several.

I think the answer to the question posed by this thread is "Some of each, depending way more on the individual barrel than its length."

Neil

PS Gary, I look forward to your testing. I hope you will use 40 yards, not the 38 you have used in the past. It just makes it easier to compare your results with the rest of the world. It's awful here too, so I can understand why you are holding off.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Barfin, maybe you weren't around for the Jack Seehase era. He was a Florida guy who had worked for NASA - designed the Redstone rocket single-handed, in fact - and had a HP 46 calculator and that was enough to convince me!

It was his assertion that barrel vibrations accounted for _everything_ about patterns, including their very existence. Without vibrations, shotguns and rifles would shoot the same.

You handed him your gun and some money and he took it to a secret facility in his garage and worked over its vibrations with an oscillator and, as far as I was concerned, Cobralube ®.

The best part was that is work was undetectable. No change, no damage, none of the residual radiation which often spoils my own efforts at choke work.

I informally tested two TM-1's some vets had down in Arizona and the way they performed was completely consistent with them being untouched TM-1's.

Neil

·
Registered
909 Posts
OK! I'm gonna chop an inch off my 34" trap gun and superglue it onto my 32" sporter. Then I'll break all the birds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts