Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TS.Com,
I am a shooter getting to know his sport again after a long absence.
My question is which barrel should I load and shoot first. I have Browning Citori CXT that i am getting to know. I have a modified choke in the bottom and Full choke in the top. The person who first taught me trap shooting, 45 years ago, told me shoot bottom first and leave top empty with a dummy shell in the chamber. That is how I have always shot OU's.
My scores are good, staying in the 20's, but there is always room for improvement.
Any input would help. Thanks

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Hello TS.Com,
My question is which barrel should I load and shoot first. I have Browning Citori CXT that i am getting to know. I have a modified choke in the bottom and Full choke in the top. The person who first taught me trap shooting, 45 years ago, told me shoot bottom first and leave top empty with a dummy shell in the chamber. That is how I have always shot OU's.
My scores are good, staying in the 20's, but there is always room for improvement.
Any input would help. Thanks
Why would you put a dummy shell in the top?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I was taught 1st shot bottom barrel. Told it was more in line with the shoulder hence less felt recoil. Sounded logical so that is what I do. Worked well. Didn't see nor care to know any more info on the subject.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Forget the snap cap, shoot the full choke for singles and handicap. Use the modified for the first shot of doubles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this game & just asked an experienced shooter at the range this same question last night. His answer made sense to my mechanical designer mind. 'Shoot the lower barrel on singles, it is easier on the barrel pivot pins'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello TS.Com,
My question is which barrel should I load and shoot first. I have Browning Citori CXT that i am getting to know.
Have to say Au Contraire to using lower barrel with Browning Citori. A buddy and I have had this for gun for 7 years. The first 4 years had to replace lower firing pin 3x. Browning, like every other American gun manufacturer, quickly sent out new pins and springs each time at no cost to us. They know about the issue of the pin in lower barrel failing. Something to do with primers if I recall correctly. The installation of the new pin took less than an hour the first time and much less each time thereafter having done it previously.

We noticed the upper firing pin never deformed though it was used rarely for doubles the first 4 years. At this, we decided to use the upper barrel for trap. We've not had to replace this firing pin. A visual inspection of the pin shows no deformation at this time. Frankly, I'm not shooting any better or worse using the upper barrel.

We've also heard around the club of this problem with other manufacturer guns.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The expectation in issf is you are shooting bottom first. If you are doing otherwise you better inform the ref before every round just incase there are any malfunctions.
So… bottom for me.
I like to see a hole in the top barrel when loading 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
although i've been told to shoot bottom first, i tend to shoot with the top barrel on my cxt because it shoots flatter and i like it better for the way i shoot. i do switch to bottom barrel for doubles though.

with covid and ammo prices though, i haven't shot for almost 2 years...we'll see what happens when i start shooting again. maybe i'll go back to the bottom barrel, who knows.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
If they are fixed chokes, top only for singles and caps; bottom first for doubles.
If they are screw in chokes, your choice. put the chokes where you want them.
There, that was easy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have exchangeable chokes. Just try shooting both ways and see what you like. Traditionally, we were told to shoot the bottom barrel first for less recoil/muzzle jump but you can experience which fit you better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts