Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I've been following and reading and I'm making a move to finally make a purchase and not rent at the range. I go to Lehigh Valley Clays in Allentown PA.

I need some advice on the good bad and ugly on the the Browning Maxus Sporting Golden Clay and the Beretta A400 Xcel. I plan to use it for some occasional bird hunting also.

I decided against an over under mostly due to cost. Thanks for the advice folks.

Regards,

Matthew

·
Administrator
8,302 Posts
If cost is a issue take a look around for a good used Beretta 391 Urika in the stock type and bl. length that is suitable for your needs.The 391 Urika or a 390 are great choices with lots of custom options out there.
If you are bothered by the blue receiver on the new models and want something you can hunt with and still have some fun at the range look at a Beretta 400 unico with what basic receiver. I have one and the jury is still out on durability compared to my 391 but so far it has been a decent shooter.

I think you can get into a Browning Crossover for what some of the x400 target models are going for?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a Browning Maxus Sporting Golden Clay for my wife. Tricked it out with a custom stock from Wenig. Required an after-market recoil spring from Sure Cycle to cycle rounds more reliably. Finally, we also had a gunsmith do a trigger job to lighten the trigger. Also, I recommend Briley chokes, not the Browning Invector Plus chokes. The Browning chokes don't measure anywhere close to what they say on the choke. Finally, as with all auto loaders, the Maxus operates best when cleaned and lubed regularly.
I also have a Beretta 391, but when I compared it to an A400 the newer A400 seemed to be cheaply made and not nearly as robust as the 391.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Why not a shotgun that has had one basic model and ONLY one modification model in 60 years????

While I kinda like the Beretta auto. HOW long has the basic model been on the market? AND the 390 Was how many revisions of the 303/b-80 that started it? Now we are talking about the 400?

That other company killed an icon because it was holding back the crap they want to sell! My take Will always be why replace the icon! Especially if you have only made models that are of lesser quality and have died off or been killed off rapidly?

If those B guns are better then a Remington? That Remington That has only two models after over 60 years of production!

Why do I see ten used Beretta's for sale to 1 rem 1100/11-87?

I know this is a B gun thread!

BUT BUY A REMINGTON! I do believe the numbers that are happily keeping and using the R guns dabble in the others then dump the others and stay happy!

The used rack numbers tend to back this feeling up! Otherwise with that 60 year to 15 year difference the used rack would have many many more 1100's to B guns!

My 2cents

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Why not buy American and look at Remington?
I have both in the family.

I breakdown and clean the A400 maybe once a month. Also, less parts to clean.

We used two different 1100's on Friday (skeet and trap). Both needed a cleaning before putting away.

Maybe time for a Remington 1100 re-design. Also, find the 1100's built in the 60's and 70 to be of better quality. My wife bought one used in either 69 or 70, still going strong, but every part that can break, broke at one time or another and can expect something to break yearly.

·
Registered
15,482 Posts
ALL gas or mechanical semi-auto shotguns will function to a degree of reliability as they are mass produced with stamped metal parts, alloys and plastic/nylon/carbon fiber.
The exception is the Winchester SX-1 which is no longer made. Even if you can get one they DO break sometimes too. No matter what you buy be prepared to fix them.
Remington has parts available, are easy to fix yourself and does have a reliable service center. Beretta's parts and service leave a bit to be desired in the US.
Browning Maxus looks nice and that is where it ends.

I have shot auto loaders for 45 years and still own some. Have gone back to an O/U for shootability, reliability and simplicity.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I have a used Remington 1100 and a Beretta 391 for sale in the event you decide to buy one. I have another 391 and 1100 that I currently shoot and love them both. Feel free to PM me if you want info/opinion. jm

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Sundown is right on. Remington 1100 synthetic competition. I did a review, do a search. By far the best bang for the buck, and I've owned Beretta automatics. They are a little barrel heavy, but the barrel is superior to any factory barrel made today. Great patterns, and almost no recoil. Just a really good automatic.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've owned the Browning Maxus 75th DU anniversary, the 1100 Classic Trap, and have the Browning CX o/u.
The maxus was a beautiful shotgun. Handled well and crushed clays. It was light, good for long hunting days.
For clays, it was too light for me. It felt hollow, for lack of a better word. I could hear a ping sound of the recoil system. Just felt lacking. All subjective, obviously. I sold it at a small loss and bought the CX.
The 1100 CT was a solid gun, handled very well and also crushed clays. The action was ultra smooth and felt like a well built tool. It wouldn't be a great hunting gun, due to length/ weight, but would be fine for the occasional outing. For trap, though, it was great.
The CX o/u is a great value. Solid, great balance, and feels like a perfect fit for me. Would be great for hunting also. A little heavy, maybe, but the balance should minimize that. I like the CX so much, I sold the 1100 to put toward a BT-99.
The CX will fit my needs for doubles, skeet and SCs. The CX can be had for around 1500 used and just a little more new.

I don't have any experience with Barreta shotguns. They don't fit me like the Brownings and Remmies.
Hope my experience helps a little.
Check them all out, get the one that fits the best. That's the most important thing. They're all good shotguns. The one that fits best is the one you'll do best with and be happiest with. Less adapting, modifying, and putting up with the fit issues.
George

1 - 20 of 54 Posts