Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what $ amount will make you stop & rethink trap shooting. For me it's @ $20-$25 for a round of practice. I shoot 4 rounds a week. Cost of targets is now $6 a round. I buy the cheap ammo @ $6 at Walmart. I'm sure targets will increase with the raising cost of oil & shells looks like @ $10. a box. It won't be long till a bunch of us gray haired shooters will say "Enough"---- Bob

· Banned
1,793 Posts
Depends on how you value entertainment. Everybody has a certain amount of disposable income. I don't smoke, drink or eat pizza. Haven't bought a magazine or book in 30 years. Bought 2 baseball tickets in 40 years.

I might have one more $5,000 vacation left in me.

I have enough ammo and components on hand to shoot for the next (last?) 20 years of my life. I don't see slowing down because of rising costs.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
At what $ amount will make you stop & rethink trap shooting. For me it's @ $20-$25 for a round of practice. I shoot 4 rounds a week. Cost of targets is now $6 a round. I buy the cheap ammo @ $6 at Walmart. I'm sure targets will increase with the raising cost of oil & shells looks like @ $10. a box. It won't be long till a bunch of us gray haired shooters will say "Enough"---- Bob
For me, it isn't just about the targets. It's seeing friends, the friendly banter, the smiles on faces when I turn up (or the frowns-that's just as much fun), the talk with my partner of "the old days" when she shot all over the world and the Olympics, the fun of travelling and the sharing of my passion with my lady who can whip my butt most times she cares to.

When you add that up in the "plus" column, the negatives of cost pale into insignificance.

However I appreciate that for others, cost is a factor. YMMV.

· Just getting by.....
2,028 Posts
I figure it at $1 a bird average for the year, anything more than that I'll have to rethink, that and my pending retirement.

The dollar a bird is only registered birds:
Shells $5-6 a box
Birds $15-32 a hundred
Fees $3-6
Getting there 56¢ a mile
Staying overnight $125-150
Meals $5-15 each (30 with beer)
Club membership $200

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Don't think it will be cost that makes me quit shooting trap, i'll quit when it's not fun anymore, until then it is what it is as far as costs go, if the prices get to high i'll just cut back on a couple registered shoots every year

· Registered
1,122 Posts
I made the decision about 4 years ago that trap is my thing. I do still deer hunt, but don't spend much on that. I don't drink, smoke, or gamble. I do electrical work on the side and that covers all my shooting expenses so I'm going to shoot as much as that money allows.

· Registered
2,154 Posts
I'll admit that I'm doing a lot more bowling than shooting these days and a lot of it has to do with economics (and another big part is family-oriented). I bowl in two weekly leagues and practice twice per week. All told, that costs me about $60 per week for approximately 10 hours of active participation, and at least half of that is actual sanctioned competition.

At $7 for 25 targets and $5 per box of shells, that same $60 might get me an hour of active participation at the gun club and that's sans any real competition, as the local club doesn't offer any.

If I drive to Phoenix to bowl in a tournament, which I do every other month or so, I'll pay an entry fee of around $55, which ensures at least six qualifying games. If I go down there for an ATA shoot, I'll spend that for every sub-event (shells included).

On top of that, my wife and 12-year-old daughter will bowl with me fairly often (my kid, although not really obsessed with the game, has finished 2nd and 3rd in the state the last 2 years for 12-and-under girls). I've gotten my wife to shoot at 4 clay targets in the 23 years we've been together and my daughter is still unwilling to try it.

I'll keep my hand in trapshooting for the foreseeable future, going to the club once a month or so, but I'm no longer immersed in it, and it'll stay that way for the time being.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.