Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where

In the last several days I have visited 2 large suppliers of reloading supplies and have been unable to find powder. No Promo, no Red Dot no nothing. What's up?? Another Obama tactic?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I've been looking too, no luck. I doubt that it's an Obama "tactic" tho', prob'ly just more Obamabuying? That's the marketplace at work, if there's perceived a coming shortage the hoarders buy up all they can afford thus creating an artificial shortage.

·
Banned
996 Posts
Forget the large suppliers you have to find the mom and pop supplier that bought it all up off the large supplier so they can gouge hell out of ya. Seems like right now you can buy factory about as cheep as maken them. Only reason I keep on reloading is because I like to not because it's much cheaper. At least not where I live.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Dryer failure at Hodgdon means no Clays related powder production until June 2014.

Alliant has Nitroglycerin shortage issues and production is limited. Next shipment is expected in mid-January and not much!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
"Dryer failure", what's that...part of the manufacturing process? I noticed that all the "Clays" powders seem to have bigger issues than the rest, thought maybe the factory in Austrailia must'a blew up or something? Anyway, I couldn't find anyplace to get the International nor the 700X I wanted so I ordered 8 cases of loaded STS's & Nitro 27's last nite, that plus what powder I have on hand should get me thru' 'til I'm able to get the powder I need from normal channels. My old hulls were starting to get a little wore out anyway.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
"dryer failure"-yup. It just plain ole' burned up.

Of course, you could listen to the words of some resident know nothing who professes there are mysterious suppliers in Berks and York Co. PA who are loaded with low cost 8lb. kegs of all the missing powders or you can listen to me. It's just not there!!

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I got Promo and RD for inventory a couple months ago. RD is gone but I have 4 Promo's left and I am not gouging. 90.00/tax. I have been hearing shops that do have it are getting 100.00+ for a jug.

Don't know when next shipment is coming in.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've understood the "fluffer" or dryer at ADI burned up. I use Clays, International and Universal. I'm currently out of International, last Clays jug in mighty light and the Universal jug doesn't take much effort to lift either. I've probably got enough loaded shells to get through to about the fall of 2014. I'm thinking that when these three powders finally hit the States again they will be in short supply for quite a while. I've been loading Clays since about 1994 and love it. I am considering Red Dot or clay dot if none is available by then.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
It is only gouging if you buy it, but then who is really causing the gouging?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Speaking of gouging, I was in Big 5 the other day and they had winchester 209 primers for 52.99 per thousand. I asked them if they price match and the jack wagon told me that no one will match their price, so I showed him my receipt from sportsman's from just a few days earlier for $34.00/ thousand and said, yep nobody will match you!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I found two 8lb jugs of Clay Dot, two sleeves of primers and a case of wads under my tree on Christmas morning. Mrs. Santa sure was good to me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It takes them 6 months to replace or repair a "dryer"?? They can build a 777 airliner in less time. Sounds like a ghost story to me.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Made another "powder run" today. Midwestern Shooters Supply in Wisconsin has no shotgun target powder and one of their associates said that he didn't expect anything until maybe June. I called Recob's and they have nothing and according to a worker there they have no idea when they will receive anything. Gamaliels website shows nothing. I have been shooting and reloading for 50+ years and have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
claybrdr,

I s'pect most of us, myself included are only in the market for a supply of shotgun powder once a year. Kind of a shock to get ready to place an order for your annual supply and it's not available?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It might be higher North of Seattle now. I understand Kesselrings has shut down? EX Can you shed any light on the rumor?

Ajax

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just returned from Cabela's. (Ritchfield Wisconsin) Absolutely no powder and they have no idea when they will be getting some.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts