Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the third or forth time this summer when I got to the end of loading 100 shells I've found I only had 99 primers. Where are they going? Not on the floor. Not on the reloading table. Not in the spent primers. Not in any of the discarded empty hulls. Not even in the powder bottle (that's dangerous, so I check).

I take a box of primers (100), set the box upside down on the MEC primer tray, slide the box covering off, lift the plastic tray, return cover to tray. No I did not count the primers in the tray. I'm thinking maybe there were only 99 primers in the box. I thought for a while that maybe one was sticking in the plastic tray, but I checked and that was not the case.

Annoying that I can't solve this mystery.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Open before you dump them and look. It is not that hard. You don't even have to count, just look for a hole without a shiny thing in it.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I am currently on the last few 100 Federal 209A primers. I normally use Winchester 209 primers but I got a good deal on 5000 Federals. I noticed they like to stick in the plastic tray. I'll fill my Pacific primer tray and when I go to pitch the plastic, there will occasionally be one or two stuck. It doesn't happen every box, but every few hundred or so. I'm just pointing out it happens. If I hadn't of looked, I probably would have pitched em. I don't box shells until I have a few buckets full so it would not have shown up from boxing either. My counter on my loader hasn't been reset since I rebuilt the loader 8657 shells ago. Again, the lost primer would have went un-noticed.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
For about the third or forth time this summer when I got to the end of loading 100 shells I've found I only had 99 primers. Where are they going? Not on the floor. Not on the reloading table. Not in the spent primers. Not in any of the discarded empty hulls. Not even in the powder bottle (that's dangerous, so I check).

I take a box of primers (100), set the box upside down on the MEC primer tray, slide the box covering off, lift the plastic tray, return cover to tray. No I did not count the primers in the tray. I'm thinking maybe there were only 99 primers in the box. I thought for a while that maybe one was sticking in the plastic tray, but I checked and that was not the case.

Annoying that I can't solve this mystery.
They are hiding in a cave with your missing unmatched socks ! :13: OK seriously ,they are probably sticking in the tray. I always pull my empty trays and check the sleeves. Nobel sports are bad about that since they fit so tight.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
All three of the above replies are good. A good habit to get into. But heres something to be aware of.
As long as your not in any way accidentally dropping one in on top of your powder charge prior to seating the wad. (that would be a disastrous explosion if you were to have that happen) On the MEC Primer tray I have heard of reloaders accidently popping a primer or primers out of the tray and that can end up with one dropped in the hull on top of the powder charge. Very rare but there might be someone here who has experienced a loose primer. this probably isn't your issue, but it is something to be aware of. Hope you find your problem.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
They are hiding in a cave with your missing unmatched socks ! :13: OK seriously ,they are probably sticking in the tray. I always pull my empty trays and check the sleeves. Nobel sports are bad about that since they fit so tight.
I agree with slide action, saw an empty spot when I put the nobel sports in tray, sure enough one was stuck in the plastic tray.

jack mc

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I only load with Win 209 primers and they don't seem to stick to the tray but I still check it and place it back in the sleeve before discarding it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I always slide the primers out of the sleeve face up just to check for anything out of the ordinary. Just a habbit I got into

1 - 10 of 10 Posts