Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reached an impasse with my Trap shooting.
I've tried different methods of looking out to the field for the emerging target;
Looking below the barrel (Frank Little).
Looking through the barrel (Kay Ohye).
and the convention, looking above the barrel.
I was wondering what the majority use of the three options and why?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Through the barrel.I can pick up the target faster,and the old eyes are not what they used to be.Also get your eyes checked.I was shooting good scores,and then all of a sudden it all fell apart. Struggled with it for a while till a friend told me to get the eyes checked. Guess what I needed glasses.True. Good luck..Ray

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Keep the barrel/receiver out of the pointing eyes way (master aiming eye) of seeing the clay leave the roof line. Regardless of where you're pointing the barrel or where you actually see the target as a whole complete image.

If the hold and eye position is such that the clay is first seen with the off eye, that eye may just take total control?

HAP

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sterlingworth & Hap Mec Tweaks
p.s Thanks for the replies

Do both of you hold a high gun when using your methods?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Yes, I certainly do. My thinking is the less movement, to a degree, the less chance of error in moving to intercept a clay target. Level at singles and slightly lower for caps is my best found method. Target height also plays a part in hold height too so you must be adaptable to change and not stuck on a method when target flights change.

HAP

·
Banned
996 Posts
Supposedly your eyes focus faster inward to the target as opposed tp outward to the target so I look over the barrel a little past the traphouse.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Super: I hold about a foot high.When Iam on post one I hold about a foot off to the left of the house.2,3&4 I hold in the normal positions. On post 5 I hold off a foot to the right. On post 1&5 my reasoning is the barrel and forend do not block my line of sight if I get an angle bird on these posts,It just works for me.Good luck,break em all..Ray

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you get a chance to watch Phil Kiner's tape it does a great job explaining how you determine where to look and why. It changes depending on background, lighting etc.

Phil doesn't tell you where to look but he explains how to determine where you should look and also helps you determine where you should hold the gun.

Good luck.

Shawn

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have tried just about everything and what works well for me is to hold down close to the top edge of the trap house and look out into the target area. That way you see the target as it leaves the house and the target clears the barrel before you shoot it. Try pulling the gun in hard to your shoulder and pressing your cheek to the gun firmly and make sure the cheek pressure stays on the comb through making the shot. It worked for me and also took care of a nagging flinch problem.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Watch the trap house as targets are being thrown and determine the area where you are first seeing a whole target. There a bunch of factors in this but if you make this check just before going to the line you will have a good idea of where you should be looking for the target. Then depending on where you like to start the gun you will know if you should be looking above, below or through the barrel for the target. But what ever the case, you want to look for the target in the place you can first see it. Like the area where you first see a whole target, the place you should start the gun is not necessarily a constant from day to day either.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
If you hold a high gun you have to be much more precise since your move to the target is more sideways.

If you hold a low gun and follow the flight line of the target your margin of error is better, and your pattern will catch more birds.

Your lead perception will be different with either of these methods. Choose one that fells more natural and stick with it.

HM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts