Trapshooters Forum banner

Where to have comb duplicated?

1532 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  spitter
I was hoping to get recommendations for a gunsmith or wood worker who could duplicate the comb of my Wenig New American Stock. I recently went from Wenig wood to a precision fit stock, I didn't care for the plastic comb on the pfs and started using my wood comb on the PFS. The only problem is the holes for the adjustable comb posts do not line up. The comb is currently attached with double sided tape. The dimensions of the the comb do not need to be changed but, the spacing of the holes for the adjustable comb posts would have to be changed. I'm not concerned with trying to match wood color, grain, etc. Thanks in advance!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
611 Posts
I looked into this a few weeks ago. Whether you go for a wood or "soft" comb. You have to send your stock in, I talked too Tron and a couple of others. The consensus seem to be to go with a molded comb because wood ones are cut from a full stock.

· Registered
15,232 Posts
I looked into this a few weeks ago. Whether you go for a wood or "soft" comb. You have to send your stock in, I talked too Tron and a couple of others. The consensus seem to be to go with a molded comb because wood ones are cut from a full stock.
A duplicate comb (wood or soft) can be made completely from scratch. Not sure what you mean by "molded comb".

· Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I was hoping to get recommendations for a gunsmith or wood worker who could duplicate the comb of my Wenig New American Stock. I recently went from Wenig wood to a precision fit stock, I didn't care for the plastic comb on the pfs and started using my wood comb on the PFS. The only problem is the holes for the adjustable comb posts do not line up. The comb is currently attached with double sided tape. The dimensions of the the comb do not need to be changed but, the spacing of the holes for the adjustable comb posts would have to be changed. I'm not concerned with trying to match wood color, grain, etc. Thanks in advance!
Won't Wenig do it?

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Any half assed machinist could make a new mounting angle attachment for the PFS, it's just a piece of aluminum angle with some holes and slots. With a drill press and some good measuring most hobby machinist could make one. It would probably be a lot cheaper than making a new wooden comb.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Shaping a new comb out of wood is really not that difficult, especially seeing as it does not have to fit inside of a cut out. Being that it is adjustable anyway, I would make it a roll over comb for comfort and the only thing you would have to worry about is the new hardware aligning, and fitting to the posts. Finishing it would probably take the longest time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.