Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1100 with a full choke. I primarily use the gun for sporting clays and want to get it threaded for Rem Chokes. Any recommendations would be appreciated (other than Briley).
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Carlson's in Atwood, KS, but I don't think they will be able to cut it to Remington threads.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
John Vincent does this and he is one heck of a machinist ! Look up his web-site.
You can also buy barrels for 1100s pretty cheap from eBay or Gun Broker...

Hallston Custom Machine 001.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
You can also buy barrels for 1100s pretty cheap from eBay or Gun Broker...
^^This might be the best idea.^^

Those old Remington 1100 full choke barrels pattern well, so maybe you don't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would think the cost of buying another barrel with chokes compared to having the barrel threaded and buying chokes about equal and now you would have two barrels. And you could sell the full barrel to offset costs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Be careful! 1100 barrels are very thin. I have seen barrel failures after installing choke tubes. One had a wad petal sticking out of the barrel just behind the new tube. The

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
You could install thin wall tubes but, if it was me I would keep the full choke and just buy a barrel with factory choke tubes. Won't cost you much more and you will regret reaming that old barrel !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buying a new barrel isn't that simple for this gun (Trap T). It is the step rib barrel and they are hard to find or expensive when you do find them. I dropped the gun a couple months ago and dented the rib. My buddy fixed it with a special tool he has but it still isn't pristine. If it were unmolested, so to speak, i would leave it as is, but since the rib issue i have no problem having it choked. If I can find a replacement step rib F or M choke at a reasonable price I would likely buy it as well.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Getting a new barrel is the best suggestion. As an alternative, if you had the barrel opened nup to light modified, you'd have an excellent all around fixed choke sporting clays barrel.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Why Rem chokes in particular? I think it will need some sort of thin wall chokes. If it can be threaded at all. I really like my Briley choked O/U with the thin walls. The Briley thin walls are a great choke system.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Check the kittery trading post in maine..they have a web site and usually have a good selection of used barrels..I have bought 3 over the years..no disappointments

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I have had a couple done by Carlson's, but consider that the charge (as shown in the latest Carlson's catalog I have at hand) is $160 for Remington and that you need an OD of at least .875". They charge another $20 for return shipping and you need to ship your barrel to them, so figure another $20. The charge includes three flush-mount chokes, however. Extended choke tubes are a bit more.

They do a good job and get the barrel back to you promptly, but I agree with the advice here - buy a barrel already threaded for RemChokes and leave your full choke alone. If you're patient, you can probably find a good used one for about the cost of the Carlson's threading job and then you'll have two barrels.

Sorry - just read the second post about it being a "Trap T" barrel. Does it say "Target" on the left side? If so, the barrel may be the overbored version, which would significantly complicate the issue of threading it for chokes, because the overboring introduces .018" additional constriction behind the area of the barrel that would be choked.

I'm pretty certain that the receiver will take any 1100 barrel: you need not find another Target barrel to thread for chokes, in fact, if you wind up threading a barrel for choke tubes, you would be much better off choosing a barrel that is NOT overbored if you're not going to shoot trap with it, because the additional restriction of the target barrel will result in a tighter pattern than the choke tube would ordinarily produce. I use an Improved Cylinder tube in my 11-87 target barrel which, with the built-in restriction of the overbore, yields a pattern about like a tight Improved Modified. If I use a modified tube, it shoots like an extra full.

So - bottom line: find a nice clean used RemChoke barrel in the length of your preference and break 'em all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts