Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A close friend of mine just sent me the dialog that he just had with CCI on the same topic. I wish I had saved it now, but here is the substance of the dialog:

Friend - CCI where are all the .22's? Are you making any?

CCI - we are running 24/7 producing 3 million .22's a day. Our competition is doing similarly.

Friend _ Wow, but that is still less that 2 bricks of .22's going to each of the 4100 Walmart's in the US, each day..

CCI - you are correct, but we just don't sell to Walmart........ something to think about...

Friend - well then, where are all the .22's?

CCI - in your neighbor's basement............

I'm in the same boat. I started this year with about 8k, thinking I had plenty - surely the hording would reach saturation and things would get back to normal by Fall? I'm now a .22 miser, until I see the shelves over-full again.......

I've heard conflicting reports that there are .22's in Canada - but can't confirm any. I don't see how it could be any different there.

Best of Luck,
Kip

·
Registered
808 Posts
Local WalMart actually had CCI Stingers yesterday at the usual price of $6.54 for 50. The lady with the keys to the cabinet happened to be just finishing up selling a hunting license and saw me there. She opened the door and said that I could have 3 boxes. I asked for one. She was surprised and said that everyone, always, buys three.

Now you know why you can't find .22LR.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
RLC323,

I had the same experience and was told the same thing from the Sporting Goods Manager. He said the same guys are coming in day after day and buying their 3 boxes and leaving until they are gone. He said he wishes he could not sell to them as he knew they were buying and reselling it elsewhere but couldn't prove it nor did it matter as they were legally buying it. The good thing is, my local Walmart has nearly every other caliber in stock and large quantities of it. I couldn't believe how much .223 and 5.56mm ammo they had and quite a few different makes from the cheap steel case Tula to some high dollar Hornady and Winchester hunting rounds. .40S&W and .45ACP were also stocked in large quanities. The Sporting Goods Manager said folks don't seem to be hoarding it the way they do the .22LR.

If any of you hoarders or idiots buying to resell are reading this, I hope you choke on the crap.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have been getting them at Dick's lately-The key is knowing when they get deliveries and be there early the next morning...This week I bought a brick of CCI std. velocity for $39.99. A few weeks back they had Mini-Mags for $9.99.
Two weeks ago they had the Remington 525 packs.
They will sell one to a customer. (but one can always return later in the day.....).
They have had a TON of GunClub shells on sale,too.
Hope this helps. Rey-have you tried Dick's down there?

Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
232 Posts
just out of curiosity why is everyone hoarding .22 ammo? i mean realy what is it going to do for you if something happens? and you cant reload it.... i have a sig tac .22 rifle and im happy with the 200 rounds i have for it, but id think if i was paranoid id be hoarding rounds for my bushmaster,,, i find this hillarious! are people really that far out of touch with reality?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I buy it when its on the shelves because I shoot a BUNCH of it. We have falling steel plates to shoot on one of our ranges and I have three .22 pistols plus a .22 conversion slide on my Sig 228... I genuinely enjoy shooting the little bullets a lot more than my 9mm and .45 . The more time I shoot the rimfires,the less I'm spending on shotgun shells! Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
256 Posts
Back six or seven years ago I started buying ammo I thought Id need 22lr was at the top of the list wish now i had bought more ! As a family we shoot much less

·
Registered
232 Posts
gotcha, i have a sig and gsg handgun but never crossed my mind to load up on ammo,,,,if i can get it i can if not no big deal,,,,,think the whack jobs are killing all of us shooters....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Matt, our supply here is about the same as down there. WalMart has plenty of everything but .22LR. They even had Winchester brand .22 Mag, which I have not seen in months. My local WalMart is about 160 miles North of you.

Not sure what the scalpers get for Stingers but they are plenty high enough at the retail prices. They do shoot good though.

I was pretty lucky as a kid to have big yard mowing money that I turned into .22 ammo. Got it out of my system then I guess. I still keep a few on hand for nieces and nephews when they come out to the country to shoot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think much of the 22 ammo shortage is two fold. First I believe many of the NEW/1st time gun owners purchased 22s out of comfort & purchased lots of ammo to use their new guns in a family environment of familiarization and enjoyment. Secondly the other newbees baught 9s, 40s, 45s, ect and purposely also purchased a 22 for gun familiarization, proficiancy & of course to save money. Either way both groups quickly learned that the 22 was a very efficient and inexpensive way to quick proficiency. Its great to know that most of those guns are seeing a lot of use. Not just sitting on a closet shelf. Ric

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Local Sportsman's Warehouse has two end caps stacked high with various brands and sizes. Price is about double what it should be though, so I just walked on by. I can wait until the hysteria subsides.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
Your best bet is to check Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Scheels, Gander Mauntain, Fleet Farm, and Rural King regularly. You can find .22's there and the cost is not a rip-off. Prices vary from $20 to $35 per brick. The problem is you have to visit them often to get lucky. Early mornings are best as the word seems to get out fast and supplies don't last long.

Anyone tried Twitter to locate in stock .22's?

Maybe we need another recession so folks will stop investing in .22's!

Do you think Christmas spending will slow the hoarding?

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
A good way to understand the .22 hoarding that is going on was written by one of our TS.com posters not long ago - can't remember who so an apology for re-using your thoughts - anyway it goes like this, the guys that use to buy a box or two of .22s each year are now trying to get brick quantities, the guys like me that use to buy a couple of bricks each month are now looking for case quantities, and the guys that use to buy .22s by the case are now trying to get pallets of ammo. Add to that a huge number of first time gun owners looking to find ammo for their new .22 that they realized is fun to shoot and poof no ammo on the shelves.

The proof of all this can be found in my own stock which is over two full cases right now and I keep looking for more and buying virtually any brand and any loading when I have the chance. Yes I do shoot alot of .22 rimfire but I also admit being sucked up into the hoarding mindset.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
A gunshop owner told me something interesting the other day. He said he is not selling .22 rifles and handguns because of the ammo shortage. I suppose that will help the shortage situation.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
Does anyone have an understanding of the distribution chain for .22 LR ammo?

I know Wal-Mart buys directly from the manufacturer. They get their own special packaging from Federal.

How do folks like Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Scheels get their supply of .22 ammo?

Also why haven't the foreign manufacturers like Aguila increased their supply to our market. They must realize there is money to be made.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Jim, I think Aguila has been selling more ammo in the US. Much of what I have been able to get in last year has been Aguila and the good news there is that it is very good quality ammo. I got a few bricks of their high vel copper plated solids and they run just as well as the CCI MiniMags that I like so much. There is also quite a bit of higher end match grade european ammo on the market right now but I don't need .22s ammo bad enough to pay the going rate of $15-$25 per 50 for this ammo.

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
I always used to buy .22 ammo when it was on sale and have continued doing so over many years long before there was a shortage ... I'm glad I did and when it levels off and the restrictions are lifted I will do it again ... I don't think of myself as a hoarder as much as I think of myself as a smart buyer ... I found 10-525 packs in the garage that I didn't even know I had ... I have been putting a lot of .22's through my Glock 17, since I got the Advantage conversion kit, and now I can go and shoot a bunch more since finding my stash, that I didn't even know I had ... I buy for personal use, never to sell ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts