Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 870TC, 1969 version. I bought the gun NIB and in the box is some kind of recoil reducer. I thought it went in the mag tube but the base is too big and wont fit.

Anyone know where this goes? I don't think it goes in the stock as its pretty long, about 6 inches. Plus that would make it butt heavy as hell

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
It may screw onto the threads of the end cap that holds the barrel on. I added 6 oz.'s of weight on the end cap of my 870 to re-balance the gun after adding like 11 oz.'s of weight in the stock. I added a full pound of weight to the 870, but the gun still had the same balance it had before I added the weight. Much less recoil and also smoothed out the swing nicely. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
Take the magazine cap off. See if it will fit into the magazine tube and then put the cap back on.
Haven't seen one of those in over 20 years.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This weight goes in the magazine tube after you remove the 3 shot plug.It will also have a little screw in the side of the metal weight. The magazine tube should have a oblong hole where the screw goes to hold the weight in.The screw keeps the weight from being pushed out by the magazine spring when the end cap is removed.It is a pretty hefty weight.really makes the gun barrel heavy.When I had a 870 years ago I cut a little bit off the weight because it was to heavy..The weight should have a slight flange on the end.and it only goes in oe way.Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll post a few pics later, the base it too big to fit into the mag tube. BT99, might be right, I have not tried that.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I had one of those in an 870 Wingmaster field grade I bought new in 1965. It replaces the wooden plug in the magazine tube. Unscrew the magazine cap and carefully remove the small retainer that holds in the magazine spring and plug. Remove the wooden plug. Unscrew the screw in the metal plug and slide it into the magazine tube. I think that this screw aligns with a screw opening in the magazine tube. If so, use the screw to retain the metal plug in the magazine tube. Reinstall the retainer clip. Reinstall the barrel and magazine cap. While shooting, this device significantly reduced recoil by adding weight to the gun. The gun becomes heavier in the front as you might imagine.

Mine was made of blued steel and disappeared while I was in the Army during the Viet Nam era. When I returned home, my brother had kept my 870 in in the trunk of his car. It was covered with a light rust which I removed with Flitz. I refinished the stock and threatened to kick his butt if he ever took one of my guns without permission. I love him but he is a klutz about taking care of things.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I think it is the weighted plug that goes inside the magazine tube like the other guys mentioned. I still have 2 of those lying around here somewhere. Colonel

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
On the very early 870's they would also fit in the hole under the buttplate. The early 870 magnums were shipped with 2 of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts