Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struggled with whether to put this in "off topic" or here, so it's here for now until a mod moves it.

I have started shooting a lot more than I have in the past due to semi-retirement more or less, and just deciding if I don't start shooting more, I'll wished I would have when I get to the point I can't shoot. During the winter, I have always loaded up what I thought I would shoot most of the rest of the year, 4 or 5,000 m/l. With the recent acquisition of a couple of GRABBERS, I am in need of those flat boxes that 10 boxes of loaded shells come in. I'm a dumpster diver and have come up with quite a few, but I'm looking at loading a lot more, and those flats would sure be nice for bulk storage. I have been going up to the appliance store and cabbaging some big boxes and making my own, but it's getting old doing that. Can't seem to find the right size at U-line or other places, the measurement specs are kinda odd.

Any advice appreciated.

just want to get my shotshell loading don so I can mount my metallic stuff on the bench for a while. Bench space limited to either shotsell or rifle/pistol.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
A clay target box will hold 30 12 gauge shell boxes.

I get my flat boxes if I need them at our club, they are selling single boxes over the counter constantly.

I would think wherever they sell shells they have cartons.

HM

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Someone could make some money selling injection molded plastic "flats". Maybe a 1 piece deal with a snap on lid. Unfortunately anything you make yourself out of wood or plastic will be very thick.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Find a company that makes boxes and see if they can fix you up with something. I had a similar situation a few years ago with plastic bags. The company I went to had no problem with what they considered a "short run". I only had to buy 5,000, which was no problem given what I was going to do with them. Very reasonably priced as well.

I like skeet man's observation...

cap

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
The mold/cavity assembly for a 12 ga flat storage box, as described by skeet man, would be considered a "thick walled" piece. It would be a large thick walled box to boot. The cost per mold/cavity would be pretty expensive.

I used to be in the plastic injection molding business that made many sizes of polyethylene, nylon and urethane elevator buckets. The largest bucket was about 18"x 8" and the mold for that bucket cost us about $75,000 (1980 dollars). It only makes one bucket at a time. There is a lot more to a mold than just a piece of metal with a void machined out of it in the form of the part. The mold we're talking about here would have to be massive, made out of tool steel and laced with cold water radiating journals to cool the piece after it is finished.

Now you'll have to have a mold/cavity for the lid too. I would estimate that the lid mold would cost over $50,000.

There are plenty of custom plastics injection molding companies "for hire" out there but they don't pay for and rarely own the molds ... the company selling the parts do.

Then there's molding companies fees to mold the part. Good luck with all that.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I think your best bet would be to have them made from the plastic sheeting that looks just like "corrugated paper box material. An example of a box made from this material would be those "bins" that the US Post Office uses.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Look for a range that is putting on a charity or corporate shoot where the range is providing the ammunition. Call that range and ask if you can have the flat boxes at the end of the day. JPM

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Here is what I have to store and to carry shells in. 10 boxes per two rows. 500 shells total. True case of shells for you young people who never saw what a case of shells were. They didn't take to long to make in the shop.
auctioneer_2009_0507228.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507229.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507230.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507231.jpg

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I is in Oklahoma, north central part.

What I do now is tape several clay target boxes together (after cutting bottom out of one) and place all the loaded boxes in it, end up about 6 or 7 boxes deep in a 3 X 3 stack if you see what I'm doin' here. Keeps the stacks (1 oz, 7/8, and 3/4) separated by at least a piece of cardboard, and easy to grab.

Yeah, I know I need to add on to my bench, workin' on that. I stole the wife unit's lawn shack years ago, one of those 8 X 16 wood buildings they haul into your back yard. I secretly insulated, wired, and paneled it on the inside, then snuck all my reloding stuff into it while sneaking the lawn stuff out. I just got out of the doghouse recently from that. I prolly have 1000# of lead ingots in this building, along with all the brass, primers, loaded rounds, some powder, and about 3000 loaded shotshells. I'm getting kinda worried about the load on the skids/piers, and I have room in garage, but wanted to keep them in boxes so they would not attract as much attention as those clay boxes I now use with the exposed boxes. She knows I shoot alot, but likes to keep "HER" garage neat looking.

I had to use my imagination on storing the other 1500# of lead ingots, so I built a little box that I said was for the dorm fridge I got after son left college, and put all the lead in the bottom, and it lets me get my beer now without stooping down. Fridge is at eye level.

I just gotta keep things neat for her and picking up a flat of shells at a time putting them in the back of the Polaris is just dang handy.

Thanks all

Cary

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JPM,

I did pick up quite a few from a charity shoot at the local sporting clays shoot a couple months back. The kids that clean up just ram and jam everything in the trash cans with the hulls and all. I hauled over a dozen or more sacks to the farm shed, and came up with over 15000 hulls, but the boxes didn't match, I think many of them got burned. Oh well.

Local SportsWorld in Tulsa sells lots of shells,, but they cut the top out of every box on the floor on the top of the pile for display. I asked them about those boxes, and they do keep them to use for customers carrying the little stuff out. I still sneak out with a few now and then. Our club sells shells and flats to shooters, but I never keep up with who is getting what. We don't stock the clubhouse for walk-in shooters, mostly orders direct from GRAFS with member discount.

I have cut apart a FEDERAL flat and lay it on a big piece of cardboard, cut around the lines,and make new boxes. 13" X 43" and I can make boxes all day long. It's not bad, but kinda slow, but then there ain't squat on TV anyway, just as well make boxes.

This ain't a life threatening matter I know, just trying to keep stuff neater for the boss.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I built some from 1/2 plywood. Boxes sit a little above the sides, and interlock with the recessed bottom of the next box, so they stack and interlock. Each wood box hold 12 boxes of shells, and weighs about #20 lbs so they're easy to handle. Any local woodworker should be bale to put them together for you for a reasonable price. They last forever.
mikkeeh_2008_23104.jpg

mikkeeh_2008_23105.jpg

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't keep more than 10 flats or so loaded at a time, so a couple thousand loose rounds are stored in plastic totes. I'd do the same if it were 10,000. I put up a couple thousand in boxes and flats. When a flat or two is emptied, I refill it from the loose bin.

For me, the biggest source of "clutter" in the shop is the empty 25 round boxes. Once I've accumulated 20 or so of those they're just begging to be filled and properly stored in flats out of the way again.

If you're going to box up 5,000 rounds, what will you do with the 160 empty boxes and 16 empty flats you've generated after 4,000 are shot?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I got some folding plastic file boxes-don't remember I got them, but they hold 42 boxes, great for transporting shells to the ranges--3 rows of double stacked 14 boxes

Try staples or the office depot

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Go to the liquor store.. and ask the clerk for some of the flats that 6-packs come in?
John

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a large amount of both Federal 12 gauge case boxes (250) and Federal 12 gauge boxes (25) that I just can't trash as I know someone can use them. Have a bunch of the 500 round case boxes but keeping those. Sold both my 12 gauge loaders and only re-load 20 gauge now.

Roger Smith Wichita. KS

1 - 20 of 30 Posts