Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Look for a fur buying event. They are events where you go and take offers from a number of fur buyers. The ones that I go to there were about 8 to 10 buyers. Go get all offers and then take the best. You will do far better then going to one person.

That is where they the one buyer is going to go to get his money back and to make his money.

I will try to find something for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
look on the pa trappers website for a sale or look in your local phone book under fur buyers. You got to be a member to sale at an event.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I just did a quick search on Google. I put in "fur buying events in Penn".
There were a number of good sites there but the one I found was www.patrapper.com
It had a box on the site that had a list of buyer or selling events. And or you can call the web site and ask them where the events are.

Go find ALL the buyers and get their offers of what you have and then pick the buyer that offers you the best price. Its worth the trip to do so. Joe Blow near you will only give you half or less for what you could get at the event.

Let me know how you do. I use to trap myself and had alot of fun doing so. I got fox and raccoons mostly. Hated skunks and possums. When ever I got a possum in the trap I had to move the trap over away from where the possum was and put a fresh trap. Foxes just didn't want anything to do with them. Why I don't know.

Good luck and hope you do well.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Here in Va you didn't have to be a member. All you have to do is come in and have furs to sell. Call and find out before you go so you know what to do.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
If they're properly tanned and have an ID number on them, why not sell them here? If the price is right I'm interested.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Brian,

Most of the time trappers do not tan their fur. At least we never did. We would skin the animal and put the fur on a stretcher to be sold that way. I believe this is how the OP is looking to sell. We had a local family who was in the fur business but all of ours. Back then furs paid real good and there was no shortage of places to trap or sell the furs. We did creek and some pond sets. Most of the time the farmers were glad to let you trap their propery as long as you didn't catch their dogs. The wet sets usually never had a problem there.

Of course I am assuming the OP is a trapper and things are still done like we did 25-30 years ago.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Joe Blow say on a good red fox would say pay you $40.00 per pelt. If you go to a fur sale and get bids you could get as much as $75.00 per pelt.

Now I'm just putting a number out as an example. I really don't know what the prices are at this time. So please don't think these numbers are what they are today. You can get more money from a sale then Joe Blow in a store.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Smitty: Please post what you end up getting. When I trapped 35 years ago a nice Red Fox brought $75, a gray brought $65-70 and a big **** brought $38$40. I'm curious to see where the prices really are today.

-Gary

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Since we're reminiscing about the same era, a big muskrat brought $11, a really big mink brought $42 and a gallon of gas was $1. But then again, my 74 LeMans only got 9 mile per gallon, LOL.

-Gary

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
My buddy still does some trapping. He uses these new cat/dog proof traps where the animal actually sticks their paw into the trap to get the bait and then as they pull it back out it snaps with a noose type hold. He said they can't chew their paw off either with the design. He was saying they were getting $20-$25 for good size ***** and $10-$15 for nice size muskrats. I don't recall the price but nice size mink were paying really well. I was shocked to hear prices that well. For years you could hardly give em away.

Here is one of those traps:

He baits with a small marshmallow smothered in maple syrup. He said the ***** can't resist it. Obviously the stake part goes in the ground with the hollow pipe standing up. It's open on top so the **** can reach in to grab the bait. There are some videos on YouTube showing exactly how they work.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
The best I got for a Red Fox was $75. Gray $60. Raccoons I can't remember. I didn't go after anything else but those three.

After about 6 or 7 years the prices dropped to $5.00 a pelt. That was in the late 80's. They are just starting to come back to a good price. Before I started to trap the prices were in the hundreds for fox.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have some fur waiting to be sold at the NAFA (North American Fur Auction) sale. I'll try to post some actual prices received in a couple of weeks as the next sale is Feb 17-23rd.

There are basically three main ways wild fur is put on market these days:

1) Thru local/country fur buyers. These guys often buy for a larger organization and act as a middle man or they buy and then sell the fur on the open market/auction. This type of selling has been going on forever. It has historically been geared for small trappers that want money quick. Often you can present fur in the round (unskinned) and have it purchased. And some of these buyers will actually skin,flesh,stretch fur for you for a fee. I know of a couple of local buyers in Michigan that specialize in this service for large volume **** trappers.

2) Local auctions. Often run thru your state trapping association. A handful of them happen here in Michigan. They have been going on for at least 40 years that I can recall and probably longer. They generally are attended by folks that have put up their own fur and are looking for a better price than at the local buyer. In the old days, these auctions had impressive volumes of fur sold. However in recent years the few state auctions I have gone to have not been well attended by buyers or sellers. Many of the local/country buyers will be attending these and trying to buy fur for a larger organization or for later sale on a big auction.

3) Big Auctions such as NAFA. If memory serves correctly, about the mid to late 1980's these big auctions became available to everyone. Most of us that had large quantities of fur started bypassing the state association sales in an attempt to avoid as many middle man buyers as possible and obtain the highest prices. But if you are looking for an instant check this isnt the route to take. My current fur was picked up back in early January to go to the February sale. It should be graded next week and then will be put on auction.

Basically these events give a picture of what the true fur market is doing. Upto these sales, what is being paid by the local buyers and state auctions is pretty much a game of speculation. Last year saw a relatively big spike in prices so both buyers and sellers have been gambling on the market. Prices started out pretty high---I saw some rats sell at auction for $14. **** prices started high in the $20-25 range as prices last year pushed into the $40 range for some grades but prices have since fallen quite alot due to some very low prices paid at the last big auction. Yet, there is lots of speculation on **** prices as the harvest appears to be way down for the year. Last year saw some $30 mink and $45+ reds. We even had a few grades of yotes push the $100 mark. But this is a new year and fur markets are fickle. The real funny thing is this we are in 2014 and I recall selling $50 **** and $100 reds over 30 years ago. Prices might be decent now but nothing like they were during the last great fur boom when inflation is factored in.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
The PA auction I attended 2 weeks ago had only two buyers and prices sucked. Reds were selling at $27-$32 for lots with ***** selling at around $12. Word on the streets is go with NAFA. There should be an auction in the Lebanon area this month also!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here are some prices from past week NAFA sale

Coyotes. My low prices were $12 and high $64. Sale average was +$40 but we have a very inconsistent quality of coyote in this area so my average was only $30. If they were all u were after, u wouldn't be able to do much more than cover your expenses chasing them.

Reds. I averaged $41 but only had a few. We use to have very high quality fox but that changed once the coyotes took over. Now they are found in pockets here and there

Mink. I didn't send any to this auction. Sale average was $21.50 if I recall

Rats. They were in high demand with Korea and China bidding for them. Sale average was $11. My average was just shy of $14 but that was for only a couple dozen.

****. High demand for heavy goods. My high was $27 and low was $13 with average at $19. I didn't have many good large ones but had nice color which saved me.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Thanks for the update. All this talk has me wanting to bust out my traps, waders and trapping basket. Then I think back to the work involved and I come back to my senses. It was fun but I got too many damn hobbies now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts