Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
17,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of my local sources, none of the online sellers that I know about, have any primers. This is unreal.
There have to be SOME primers for sale in the USA.
Been like this for a while now. Is there any relief in sight?

HM

· Registered
540 Posts
They are being manufactured and shipped out every day, people are just worried and buying more than they need.

After weeks of nothing I went into a local store Saturday and found a nice shiney box of 1000 win 209 on the shelf. I've got enough for 6 months already so I left it for the next person.

· Registered
17,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Durned ol' 90T only likes CCI, I might have to change guns if this keeps up. I have 5 or 600 left but would definitely like a couple thousand on the shelf. I do have a source for Cheddite, so maybe the 1100 will come out to play again.

HM

· Premium Member
8,257 Posts
None of my local sources, none of the online sellers that I know about, have any primers. This is unreal.
There have to be SOME primers for sale in the USA.
Been like this for a while now. Is there any relief in sight?

HM
It was said a week or so ago that Brownells had Cheddite on this site. Prior to that it was said BP had Cheddite s.

Local shops are at the bottom of the food chain. I would suspect it will be quite sometime before they receive any.

Probably atleast summer of 2021 before ma n pa shops see much.

· Registered
4,774 Posts
Durned ol' 90T only likes CCI, I might have to change guns if this keeps up. I have 5 or 600 left but would definitely like a couple thousand on the shelf. I do have a source for Cheddite, so maybe the 1100 will come out to play again.

HM
Check Shydas in PA. click on reloading and go to page 6.

· Registered
438 Posts

HM
My 90T shoots great with my reloads I make with Cheddite primers.

· Registered
70 Posts
National primer shortage in a nutshell.

1. Election year with a less than favorable outcome.
2. Pandemic.
3. Holiday season.
4. Millions of new gun owners as a result.
5. Millions of dollars of backordered ammo to fulfill from above 4 variables.

Once the backlogs of ammo start to fill, we'll see a surplus of primers being sent out from manufacturers. Last I heard it was some 2.4 billion dollars (take this with a grain of salt) to fulfill. My guess is we won't see standard primers for another 8-10 months MINIMUM. It'll be several years of panic buying, and things will stabilize. Remember sandy hook? This isn't quite as bad, but it's up there. It was several years before we saw any sort of normalcy.

Just my 2c.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
I have over 50K primers that I bought years ago just for shotgun shells. I also have thousands of rifle and pistol primers that I load for. They never seem to go down in price so buy ahead and I don’t sweat throughout the shortages. Plan ahead and nothing worries you like scrambling to buy anything you can get your hands on.

· Registered
50 Posts
It's obviously hard to tell when primers will return, but there are two ominous indicators to consider:
1) The Obama component crunch lasted for over a year. So shall this one, maybe longer
2) Loaded ammo takes priority for primer use. Look at the ammo shelves...empty, no shotshells. Until the demand for loaded shells subsides, we won't be seeing any primers being released.

· Premium Member
13,738 Posts
I've always been happy to see that GU had 40-50K each of W209s and Fiochis on the shelf. Yesterday, not a one. :(

· Registered
4,964 Posts
At the club today they had Win 209 primers for $29 a thousand. Limit if 1 per member while supply lasted. i passed as I did not need any primers but It appears there is hope. Stuff is just slow getting out there. Some powder back orders came in also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.