Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the first release trigger introduced into ATA shooting? Who was the first shooters of a release? Was it tuff getting ATA to approve the use of a Release Trigger? Are release triggers considered a advantage in the sport? {OYLIMPICS shooters don't use them)?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A shooter who competes in Olympic shooting events such as international bunker trap.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I heard Charles "Sparrow" Young may have been the first to use one. Of cousre I have no proof. The first ones I remember were in the mid 1970's. I have used one for the last 30 years! Always kind of wish I would have stayed with a pull. I tried going back once probalby 20 Years ago. Didn't work out, I probably should have given it more time. My advice is stay with a pull! IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY! Not to mention embrasssment. I also heard the first to use the release was the indian, releaseing an arrow.LOL

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
" I also heard the first to use the release was the indian, releaseing an arrow.LOL".

Very good analogy SPACE GUN. That sort of trivializes the thoughts of release haters.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
When I was a kid back in the late 50's we had an older neighbor that had soilbanked his farm, retired and went to trapshooting a LOT. He was Montana state doubles champion in 1957 and then had a debilitating stroke in 1964. Anyway, one of his five trap guns had a release trigger, first one I'd ever seen or even heard of, of course they might have been around earlier and me just a teenager and not into trapshooting then I wouldn't necessarily known about them until I saw Harvey's? Anyway, I'd guess that was somewhere around the late 50's or early 60's. ..........FWIW

·
Vendor
1,363 Posts
allen timney was the first to make a release trigger, according to a conversation i had with mr timney a long time ago. if i remember right it was in the 40's when allen made his first one. doug

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
"He was one of the originators of the release trigger..."

I searched the Sporting Life archives through 1915 and found no mention of the concept.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
"Are release triggers considered a advantage in the sport? {OYLIMPICS shooters don't use them)? "

Olympic shooters CAN'T use them. They are specifically banned from use by ISSF.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Patent filed in 1937 by Poyner Jones for a pull-release trigger with an interesting commentary suggesting release triggers were commonly used at that time -

As is well known to those skilled in the art, within recent years there have been a number of trigger mechanisms wherein the gun is fired by releasing the trigger rather than by pulling the trigger. This trigger mechanism is known as a release trigger. The real purpose of the release trigger is to try to overcome the tendency in the shooter to flinch, which flinching is due to nerves and also to the fact that in applying pressure to the trigger, anywheres from three and one-half to seven pounds, the muscles become taut and the shooter is unable to hold the gun at the desired point of position or even pull the trigger.

It is a well-known fact, however, that where a release trigger is used, the loosening of the muscles, that is, on the releasing of the trigger, has a great tendency to overcome flinching.

Release triggers have heretofore been mostly applied to trap guns, that is, guns which are used at the traps, rather than to field guns, as to change over entailed a dismantling of the mechanism.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mr. Young was in his prime in the late 1800's and early 1900's. So it seems very possible he was one of/if not the first. I have been told that a few top rifle shooter use release triggers. Anyone know for sure?

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
I have an 5E Ithaca SBT that was built in 1928. It has a Miller release trigger in it. I have no idea how long ago it was put in but I bought it with another Ithaca SBT and it too had a Miller release. The build date on the second Ithaca was 1948.

When I was a trap boy in 1960 there were a few shooters using releases at the club I worked at. They weren't really a novelty but weren't uncommon either.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was introduced in 2008 when I started using one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts