Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Funny picture and men have made errors also. We always need to be aware of every detail.

I was there to see an accident from a reloading mishap. A man had taught his wife to reload rifle cartridges. He showed up at the range for a registered match. Took his place on the line. The targets came up and the strange sound of a gun blowing up was heard. Well over a dozen pieces of the rifle were recovered, including the pieces in the mans face. She had filled the cartridges with Winchester 296 magnum pistol powder instead of Winchester 748 rifle powder.

A friend has a nice heated place to reload. He has top shelf equipment and plenty of quality components. He is a sports buff and has a nice flat screen TV right there so he dos not miss anything ESPN transmits. Next to the bench is a refrigerator. His drink of choice is Scotch on the rocks, even while he is loading. Even after all these years, he has more trouble with his reloads than a beginner. I wonder why.

Check everything, then double check, if another person get involved check and double check again.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Funny picture and men have made errors also. We always need to be aware of every detail.

I was there to see an accident from a reloading mishap. A man had taught his wife to reload rifle cartridges. He showed up at the range for a registered match. Took his place on the line. The targets came up and the strange sound of a gun blowing up was heard. Well over a dozen pieces of the rifle were recovered, including the pieces in the mans face. She had filled the cartridges with Winchester 296 magnum pistol powder instead of Winchester 748 rifle powder.

Does not sound like an accident to me. She is probably wondering if she should have used a more powerful powder.

·
Registered
334 Posts
After my father died, my mother (who was well known for her endless desire to "clean things out") emptied all of the shot bottles from the reloaders into an empty powder container (yes, I think she knew better). Somewhere in my shop I have a powder container, 2/3 full of shot, which probably answers the age old question 7 1/2 or 8?
Mike

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have no wife, but my current lady assists me in the reloading of our ammo we shoot together. I have her .45 load set up on a Dillion 1050 with all components that it uses are placed just behind it in case she needs more. Same as my/our 12ga and 20ga trap loads. They are set up MECs with the powder,primers are as well set behind JIC. I have extended shot bottles. She really enjoys loading with me for she now enjoys what l do and understands what is entailed for it to all to come together for an afternoon of shooting.

Reactions: John Henry

·
Registered
153 Posts
My ex hardly ever came into my workshop and when she did, it was to give me grief about something, or to just be nosy... checking up on what I’m doing. She never came to any shooting clubs/events with me, other than a couple of times, just to see where they were and what they were all about. Also, she was too lazy and disinterested in wanting to do, or learn anything at all, really.
All small parts of why she is now my "ex".

My current girlfriend shoots as much and sometimes more than I do. She is super intelligent and fascinated with the operation and cleaning of all the guns and helps clean occasionally. She showed the same interest in reloading and wanted to help, because of how many shells she is shooting, but doesn’t have the attention to detail and patience combination needed, when one first begins reloading.
She said, "I understand why you enjoy it and how it is sort of your 'zen' and relaxing thing. I want to do my part, but I just don’t think it is my thing. I’ll just buy my shells, so you don't have to reload for me."
She said she felt badly for me having to reload all those shells for her, but I let her know that I enjoy it and I enjoy and appreciate doing things for her. She said, "OK, but I’m going to pay for at least half of the components, then. Maybe more, since you are doing all the labor. That’s only fair."
THIS is a small part of why I’m with HER now.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife has never been in my reloading room. Frankly, I doubt she ever will, or cares to be in it anyway.
MG
My reloading room is a large closet in the basement, climate controlled, maybe 8x12. I have a combo lock door knob on it, to keep the kids out. One day while I was away on a deer hunting trip, wife asked what the combo was. So I gave it to her.

Came home to find my old, wobbly, reloading bench replaced with a very nice, sturdy, Gladiator (Home Depot brand) work bench that has adjustable height legs!!

I did not mind my wife being in the reloading room for that purpose, it was my Christmas gift!!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My reloading room is also our safe room/vault/storm shelter. It has 6" concrete double reinforced walls. It has a steel enforced frame with a steel prison door and lock. Humidor and tied into my security system. Outside looks just like rest of basement, for it is drywalled and a closet looking door to those not in the know. She about freaked out when she first saw it. I told her it took quite a bit of work to get it put together, but was for a very specific reason and use.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My wife asks me to keep the gun room floor clear so that she can vacuum.
Otherwise, the gun room is my domain.

I wouldn't think of touching her stuff in her office/sewing room, without her permission.

My wife is pretty wise about firearms and reloading, having been around it all her life, and a participant in our early married life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts