Trapshooters Forum banner

When the weather cools how do you deside between duck and Rabbit

2677 Views 29 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  o-hale
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
9,223 Posts
When it starts to cool down to in the 40's come late Nov, we always chow down on some oven baked, or En Papillote Opakapaka! (pink snapper). Ducks! ,Rabbits! LOL, you've got to be fricken kidding me right?? In Hawaii?? outside of a private golf course water hazard, or mini children's petting zoo, the last time I saw a live duck, or rabbit, was 21 years ago, in the stinking Honolulu Zoo!!
Aloha (really quack me up on that one?)

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,638 Posts
I'll be done with trapshooting August 29th this year. That will give me two days to put all the trap gear away, load decoys, dig out and stubble my a-frame blind with grass, dig out hunting clothes and other associated gear and be ready to hammer the ducks and geese for opener on Sept 1 on the SK side and Sept 2 opener on the AB side. I truly love living on the border of the two best waterfowling provinces in Canada and in the best migration zone of both!!! As for decicing wabbit or duck these prairie jack wabbits around here are not worth wasting ammo on...

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it starts to cool down to in the 40's come late Nov, we always chow down on some oven baked, or En Papillote Opakapaka! (pink snapper). Ducks! ,Rabbits! LOL, you've got to be fricken kidding me right?? In Hawaii?? outside of a private golf course water hazard, or mini children's petting zoo, the last time I saw a live duck, or rabbit, was 21 years ago, in the stinking Honolulu Zoo!!
Aloha (really quack me up on that one?)
I know year ago I wanted to a dog show there. Lol the Quarantine was like a month. I would imagine no rabbits allowed
Steve

· Registered
238 Posts
As a kid in Long Beach, CA we drove a couple hours to Bakersfield and hunted, mostly jacks but some cottontails, back in the 60” and 70”s. Rabbits everywhere back then. Great Times. Live in Sierra foothills of No. CA east of Sacramento. No rabbits here, but National Forest and BLM land begins within 15-minute drive. No rabbits but wildlife abounds.

· Premium Member
9,223 Posts
I know year ago I wanted to a dog show there. Lol the Quarantine was like a month. I would imagine no rabbits allowed
Steve
Steve, you are allowed to raise rabbits but just not a popular thing here. Don't know what the quarantine law is now, but in the seventies, the quarantine period was 120 days. Back In the early 60's, there was a rabies epidemic and there was wholesale killing of dogs and cats by scared owners. At that time, all animals were forbidden to enter Hawaii, and many military families, had no idea about it, and their pets were killed immediately upon arrival here. this created a lot of bad blood between the civilians and the military for a long time.
Aloha

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a kid in Long Beach, CA we drove a couple hours to Bakersfield and hunted, mostly jacks but some cottontails, back in the 60” and 70”s. Rabbits everywhere back then. Great Times. Live in Sierra foothills of No. CA east of Sacramento. No rabbits here, but National Forest and BLM land begins within 15-minute drive. No rabbits but wildlife abounds.
When I attended Collage in Long Beach (74-79) there were plenty of rabbits were the Rams practices took place.
I lived on Atlantic and Sixty forth across the street from Jordan high school by the 91 Highway We jogged in the Jiang river behind my apartment complex. There were also Ferrets. Being an active hunter in Bakersfield they always caught my eye.
Miss the crazies in Compton down the street shooting all night.
Steve

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve, you are allowed to raise rabbits but just not a popular thing here. Don't know what the quarantine law is now, but in the seventies, the quarantine period was 120 days. Back In the early 60's, there was a rabies epidemic and there was wholesale killing of dogs and cats by scared owners. At that time, all animals were forbidden to enter Hawaii, and many military families, had no idea about it, and their pets were killed immediately upon arrival here. this created a lot of bad blood between the civilians and the military for a long time.
Aloha
Makes sense now it was in that time frame
Steve

· Registered
383 Posts
Where I live quail hunting used to be the #1 game species hunted closely followed by rabbit. Duck and goose hunting was rare and dependent on excessive rain fall to flood the river bottoms to draw the birds in. When I was in my 30's and 40's we had several years with adequate rain fall so we would get up before sunrise to go waterfowl hunting come in around noon to eat and go quail hunting the rest of the day. This made for some exhausting but memorable days. I wish I was still physically able to maintain that amount of hunting.

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where I live quail hunting used to be the #1 game species hunted closely followed by rabbit. Duck and goose hunting was rare and dependent on excessive rain fall to flood the river bottoms to draw the birds in. When I was in my 30's and 40's we had several years with adequate rain fall so we would get up before sunrise to go waterfowl hunting come in around noon to eat and go quail hunting the rest of the day. This made for some exhausting but memorable days. I wish I was still physically able to maintain that amount of hunting.
I know age will catch me soon. When I turned 50 health problems started.
I hear ya.
Steve

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.