Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hunted ducks and geese with my 3200 when you could use lead. Hunted pheasants with it until it became to heavy to carry all day. I still take it out for a short hunt and as a backup. Now only carry the 20 and 12 superposed lightnings. I absolutely love shooting the 3200.
67 now one day I will say it is too heavy too!
Steve

·
Registered
392 Posts
I grew up with an Ithaca 37 16 ga. and killed pretty much all game with that gun. Still have a fondness for 37's and the 16 ga. But I try to get all my hunting guns out to see daylight as much as possible.

Upper Sandusky 37 12 ga. Ultralight always goes to SD each year

NEA 500 16 ga. made by F.A.I.R.

1949 16 ga. 37 with 26" IC

Beretta 687 Ultralight Deluxe

Benelli Ultralight 12 ga. Only Dutch Double on ruff grouse I have ever done. Not too long before the Toller in my avatar passed away at the age of 14

F.A.I.R. Iside in 16 ga. of course

New A5 Sweet 16 had Briley take the bbl. down to 23" and Mark Larson shape the grip to a round knob the way Browning should have done. Now it is a proper grouse gun.

Ithaca King Ferry 37 Ultralight 16 ga. English Deluxe

And a few more. Please don't ever ask me to pick just one I shudder at the thought

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I grew up with an Ithaca 37 16 ga. and killed pretty much all game with that gun. Still have a fondness for 37's and the 16 ga. But I try to get all my hunting guns out to see daylight as much as possible.

Upper Sandusky 37 12 ga. Ultralight always goes to SD each year

NEA 500 16 ga. made by F.A.I.R.

1949 16 ga. 37 with 26" IC

Beretta 687 Ultralight Deluxe

Benelli Ultralight 12 ga. Only Dutch Double on ruff grouse I have ever done. Not too long before the Toller in my avatar passed away at the age of 14

F.A.I.R. Iside in 16 ga. of course

New A5 Sweet 16 had Briley take the bbl. down to 23" and Mark Larson shape the grip to a round knob the way Browning should have done. Now it is a proper grouse gun.

Ithaca King Ferry 37 Ultralight 16 ga. English Deluxe

And a few more. Please don't ever ask me to pick just one I shudder at the thought
Great post love your pictures
Steve

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
735 Posts
For 30 seasons I shot a Winchester 101 DU 50th Anniversary #65/145 12ga, 27" winchoke barrels, 3" chambers and for about 10 seasons a Winchester Model 12 I had done up with Briley chokes and a nice set of wood as my primary guns for upland and ducks and a Browning Gold 10 for geese. About 10 years ago I sold the Model 12 and the Gold 10 and two years ago I retired the 101 and have been shooting a Winchester SX3 20ga, 28"bbl with 3" chamber. I sold every 12ga I owned except my trap guns and shoot nothing but the 20 now for hunting, skeet and the odd round of sporting or 5-stand.
Sleeve Bird Event Metal Wing
Air gun Shotgun Glove Wood Toy
Military camouflage Sky Plant Marines Tree
Dog Sky Plant Grass Wood
Wood Twig Grass Insect Trunk
Wood Hardwood Grass Lumber Wood stain
Wood Grass Grass family Grassland Landscape
Bird Beak Grass Terrestrial animal Water bird

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
For waterfowl it would be my 12 gauge Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2".

For everything else it would probably be one of my Browning Gold Fusions. It would be a coin flip on whether it would be the 12 gauge or the 20 gauge.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Steve12

·
Registered
204 Posts
For ducks and geese, a Beretta Extrema II
Dove and quail, I switch it up, a Beretta A400 28 ga or a Winchester 101 20 ga.
Pheasant, usually a 20 ga over/under of some flavor unless it is raining then I carry a Weatherby SA08 20 ga.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The last five years I have used a Franchi Instinct L in 28ga for all my upland shooting. This year I have picked up a Tristar Bristol in 28ga. I have not hunted with a sxs in close to forty years. My goal is a grouse and a great picture with my GWP.

·
Registered
89 Posts
20ga Beretta 687 sporting with screw in chokes...... perfect for grouse and woodcock when they were plentiful. Shot loads of stocked pheasants when I had my brittany with it. Light quick and shoots where I look ........

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a couple of old Superposed that I like to use for pheasants. If the weather is bad, I may take a Citori instead. Seems like most of my shotguns are Brownings. They just fit me better than others I have tried.

Jerry

·
Registered
707 Posts
For the first time (last year) for pheasants I used a Model 12 in 16 gauge. It did a fine job in knocking down the roosters. Seasons prior to that I've used my old 20 gauge pump (with a heavy load) and it too always brought the birds down.

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
For 30 seasons I shot a Winchester 101 DU 50th Anniversary #65/145 12ga, 27" winchoke barrels, 3" chambers and for about 10 seasons a Winchester Model 12 I had done up with Briley chokes and a nice set of wood as my primary guns for upland and ducks and a Browning Gold 10 for geese. About 10 years ago I sold the Model 12 and the Gold 10 and two years ago I retired the 101 and have been shooting a Winchester SX3 20ga, 28"bbl with 3" chamber. I sold every 12ga I owned except my trap guns and shoot nothing but the 20 now for hunting, skeet and the odd round of sporting or 5-stand.
View attachment 1760540 View attachment 1760541 View attachment 1760543 View attachment 1760544 View attachment 1760546 View attachment 1760547 View attachment 1760548 View attachment 1760549
Great shooting. Is that your dog?
Steve

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I've also got an old Ithaca 37 in 16, fixed modified. With an English Setter and pheasants roll stamped into the receiver, how could I not toss it into the truck? A circa 1957 Model 12 in WS-1 works good in the grouse woods. For bad weather a synthetic 11-87 with a 28" barrel does well, as does the Mossberg 500 - budget shotguns without any strong emotional attachment. For turkey there's a Mossberg 535 in Mossy Oak to save my shoulder. I've got several choices in single-barrel to choose from.

When it comes to O/U, I've got a '86 Citori Trap that came with two barrel sets - one long hi-rib set with Standard Invector, and a short 26" fixed M / IC configuration that works really well and isn't too heavy. That short barrel set on the old fixed Monty Carlo stock does the trick. Someday I'd like to get a lighter field O/U, but the Citori gets the job done for now.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts